BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Arrow What a blast (Autobahn driving)...

Managed to hit 230 kph on the A9(Autobahn) in my friends 640d Gran Coupe, but you can only go as fast as the slowest car in the fast lane. Happy birthday to me!

I envy you people that get to do it on a regular basis.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

U mean on the highway?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
U mean on the highway?
On the Autobahn on the way to Munich
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Managed to hit 230 kph on the A9 in my friends 640d Gran Coupe, but you can only go as fast as the slowest car in the fast lane. Happy birthday to me!

I envy you people that get to do it on a regular basis.
YES... we are spoiled and we know it!

Enjoy your stay, sorry we could not meet up.

Always the BEST German sign to see on the Autobahn... (end of controls/speed limits)...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Awesome. I bet it's a pretty normal way of life there. If your car can do 200kmh then that's just cruising. Am I correct Dack or do people usually drive 120-130 there.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
Awesome. I bet it's a pretty normal way of life there. If your car can do 200kmh then that's just cruising. Am I correct Dack or do people usually drive 120-130 there.
It kind of depends on how far they are driving(bc fuel does cost $9 per gallon over here!). Most of the time I drive 200 to 220 kph, unless someone pisses me off... then I will "walk away" from them doing V-Max.

Most people cruise at 150 or 160 kph. I would say I am in the upper 10% of drivers who almost always drive faster than 200 kph no matter where I am driving. And then you have the moving speed bumps who drive at 100 kph to 130 kph!

The rules of the Autobahn is that even when you are on a unlimited(free) Autobahn(with no speed limit)... the government still recommend you to drive 130 kph. IF you decide to drive faster that is Ok. BUT... IF you get into an accident... you might be held as the cause and your insurance might not have to pay out! This makes people who drive small 1.0L fuel efficient cars drive very slow - bc they fear on getting into an accident with their "first" car. You will often find two of these cars with 45 HP wanting to pass each other, one doing 120 kph and the other one doing 121 kph. That irks me to no end, but its Life over here.

AND... all trucks are limited to 80 kph speed limit. I think the trucks also have a speed governor that limits them to 120 kph V-Max(and they are also limited to 500 PS) and they MUST have GPS data recorders for speed and time driven. Truckers also pay an electronic toll of 0.17 euro cents PER km driven. They also also are limited to only driving eight hours per day and they must take rest breaks during that time. Driving a truck from Saturday 10pm until Sunday 10pm is NOT allowed either on all Autobahns.

So.... you have your main traffic driving at 150 to 180 kph. Fast guys going at 200 to 230 kph. Then really fast guys going 230 to 300 kph... and then trucks only going 80 kph while slow micro cars(Opel Corsa, Polo's, A-Class) cars driving at 120 kph. AND the whole system works!

Btw... a driver's License costs upwards of $2K, more if you are a slow learner since they charger per hour! And it really is a "privilege" and not a right like it is in the USA.

Driving around in Germany/Autobahns (videos inside!)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424388

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
It kind of depends on how far they are driving(bc fuel does cost $9 per gallon over here!). Most of the time I drive 200 to 220 kph, unless someone pisses me off... then I will "walk away" from them doing V-Max.

Most people cruise at 150 or 160 kph. I would say I am in the upper 10% of drivers who almost always drive faster than 200 kph no matter where I am driving. And then you have the moving speed bumps who drive at 100 kph to 130 kph!

The rules of the Autobahn is that even when you are on a unlimited(free) Autobahn(with no speed limit)... the government still recommend you to drive 130 kph. IF you decide to drive faster that is Ok. BUT... IF you get into an accident... you might be held as the cause and your insurance might not have to pay out! This makes people who drive small 1.0L fuel efficient cars drive very slow - bc they fear on getting into an accident with their "first" car. You will often find two of these cars with 45 HP wanting to pass each other, one doing 120 kph and the other one doing 121 kph. That irks me to no end, but its Life over here.

AND... all trucks are limited to 80 kph speed limit. I think the trucks also have a speed governor that limits them to 120 kph V-Max(and they are also limited to 500 PS) and they MUST have GPS data recorders for speed and time driven. Truckers also pay an electronic toll of 0.17 euro cents PER km driven. They also also are limited to only driving eight hours per day and they must take rest breaks during that time. Driving a truck from Saturday 10pm until Sunday 10pm is NOT allowed either on all Autobahns.

So.... you have your main traffic driving at 150 to 180 kph. Fast guys going at 200 to 230 kph. Then really fast guys going 230 to 300 kph... and then trucks only going 80 kph while slow micro cars(Opel Corsa, Polo's, A-Class) cars driving at 120 kph. AND the whole system works!

Btw... a driver's License costs upwards of $2K, more if you are a slow learner since they charger per hour! And it really is a "privilege" and not a right like it is in the USA.

Driving around in Germany/Autobahns (videos inside!)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424388
9$ per gallon!!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Dack! I've actually been reading a lot about the road rules over there myself. I don't want to be the idiot tourist from Canada driving on the autobahn wrong. The rules all make so much sense and here in Canada........ 100kmh limit (legal). The unspoken legal limit is 130 here but after that, going 50 over is a roadside suspension of license. We're so soft over here compared to Germany. People look at me like I'm insane for going 135. Lmfao. It feels SLOW driving 135 and it is almost uncomfortable. This car doesn't even feel like it's moving!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
When you are traveling over 200 and you come up on someone that is going 80.... That's like approaching a brick wall @ 120...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
YES... we are spoiled and we know it!

Enjoy your stay, sorry we could not meet up.

Always the BEST German sign to see on the Autobahn... (end of controls/speed limits)...
Thanks! I had a great time in Munich for my birthday. We went to a Turkish rock concert in the Kultfabrik Munich.

(DEFINITELY the best sign!)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Dack! I've actually been reading a lot about the road rules over there myself. I don't want to be the idiot tourist from Canada driving on the autobahn wrong. The rules all make so much sense and here in Canada........ 100kmh limit (legal). The unspoken legal limit is 130 here but after that, going 50 over is a roadside suspension of license. We're so soft over here compared to Germany. People look at me like I'm insane for going 135. Lmfao. It feels SLOW driving 135 and it is almost uncomfortable. This car doesn't even feel like it's moving!
Yes I hear you. When I drive 130 kph I can only do it when I am really tired and I use my cruise control. Most German cars start to come alive from 180 kph and up.

Here is a US Army(USAREUR) road sign & drivers test book pdf. Maybe it will help you when you come drive in der Fatherland. I also attached a map of the unrestricted Autobahns in Germany. But its an old map and there is always construction going on the 'Bahns... so you never quite know where a "free" unrestricted Autobahn is. I really like the A9 between Munich and Ingolstadt. And then again after Ingolstadt(where Audi's are made) up until Nurnberg. (not where the 'Ring is! That is 400 kms to the West!).

Also some tips about driving over here.. do not speed in the cities and villages. When you see the yellow sign for the city - the speed limit is 50 kph then. Outside the cities and villages the speed limit is 100 kph on Bundesstrasse. On the Autobahn when there is construction do not speed. Especially when the speed limit goes down to 80 kph or lower(sometimes you see 60 kph!). Never pass on the right and don't speed more than ~20 kph over posted Bundesstrasse/SchnellStrasse/Autobahn(highway) speed limits.

Generally the Polizei will set up cameras in areas where there is construction (80 kph zones) or in 30 kph zones in the cities) or in those electronic over hear digital road signs. Also when the autobahn crosses another Autobahn you will have a speed limit - do not speed there(the cameras are out there!).

Or when there is a fussball(soccer) match going on. You will see cars with the team scarves out the rear windows of cars... the Polizei will usually be out in full force on those days.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf German_road_sign_chart.pdf (581.4 KB, 227 views)
File Type: pdf USAREUR_drivers_manual.pdf (5.45 MB, 1389 views)
File Type: pdf Autobahn_Unrestricted_Limitkarte.pdf (2.75 MB, 178 views)
File Type: pdf Autobahn_LegendeLimit_e.pdf (783.0 KB, 129 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes I hear you. When I drive 130 kph I can only do it when I am really tired and I use my cruise control. Most German cars start to come alive from 180 kph and up.

Here is a US Army(USAREUR) road sign & drivers test book pdf. Maybe it will help you when you come drive in der Fatherland. I also attached a map of the unrestricted Autobahns in Germany. But its an old map and there is always construction going on the 'Bahns... so you never quite know where a "free" unrestricted Autobahn is. I really like the A9 between Munich and Ingolstadt. And then again after Ingolstadt(where Audi's are made) up until Nurnberg. (not where the 'Ring is! That is 400 kms to the West!).

Also some tips about driving over here.. do not speed in the cities and villages. When you see the yellow sign for the city - the speed limit is 50 kph then. Outside the cities and villages the speed limit is 100 kph on Bundesstrasse. On the Autobahn when there is construction do not speed. Especially when the speed limit goes down to 80 kph or lower(sometimes you see 60 kph!). Never pass on the right and don't speed more than ~20 kph over posted Bundesstrasse/SchnellStrasse/Autobahn(highway) speed limits.

Generally the Polizei will set up cameras in areas where there is construction (80 kph zones) or in 30 kph zones in the cities) or in those electronic over hear digital road signs. Also when the autobahn crosses another Autobahn you will have a speed limit - do not speed there(the cameras are out there!).

Or when there is a fussball(soccer) match going on. You will see cars with the team scarves out the rear windows of cars... the Polizei will usually be out in full force on those days.
Thanks for the documents! It is greatly appreciated! Just a question, the blue speed signs are just recommendations and the red circle speed limits are actual limits, correct?

I do understand that speeding in construction zones and cities/villages is extremely uncalled for and unnecessary. I take safety seriously and I'm not one to be breaking rules about safety!
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
I really like the A9 between Munich and Ingolstadt. And then again after Ingolstadt(where Audi's are made) up until Nurnberg. (not where the 'Ring is! That is 400 kms to the West!).
My stretch was the A3 from a rest stop Southeast of Frankfurt to Nuremberg and the A9 from Nuremberg to Munich.

I thought Nuremberg to Munich would take longer.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the documents! It is greatly appreciated! Just a question, the blue speed signs are just recommendations and the red circle speed limits are actual limits, correct?
Yes, correct.

Germany has something like 800 different road signs. It use to be when you came to Germany thru the US Military.. you HAD to pass this test to get your USAREUR drivers lic. The test was 150 questions. 100 traffic signs and 50 written test questions. SO many soldiers(and dependents) failed the test multiple times!! When I took mine, one guy had failed it SEVEN times before passing! lol So the Army dumbed down the test questions. Now we(they) only have to pass 50 signs and 50 test questions. It is a joke.

IF a German fails his driving test twice... they have to go to a special doctor and take the so called: "idiot test"! because no normal person would spend 2K euros on learning to drive... and NOT study and pass their driver's test. We should do this in the USA. Most Germans need at least 34 hours behind the wheel, in order to pass their driver's test. Sometimes more hours.

What I have learned is from German friends and from watching German TV on driving tests. The Germans take driving seriously - something we Americans do not. Also all my time at Summit Point Raceway instructing came in handy in dealing with the stress of driving over here. I find it very relaxing to drive fast over here. I feel much less safe driving in the USA or on any US Base(over here) for that matter.

Quote:
I do understand that speeding in construction zones and cities/villages is extremely uncalled for and unnecessary. I take safety seriously and I'm not one to be breaking rules about safety!
I know you do. It was just FYI(and others who might be reading this thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My stretch was the A3 from a rest stop Southeast of Frankfurt to Nuremberg and the A9 from Nuremberg to Munich.

Haha. If it were me and I looked on a map I would just divide the distance in Km by 100 kmh and this is just because I live in Canada and approximate the time it would take by doing that. I guess when I'm in Germany, I can cut the time in half. lololol
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

Yes, the Autobahn from Frankfurt to Nuremberg is also very nice. Especially now that it is mostly three lanes wide. But they have those new digital speeding cameras in the Wurzburg area. Then from Nurnberg South to Munich is very nice indeed.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #17
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Yes, the Autobahn from Frankfurt to Nuremberg is also very nice. Especially now that it is mostly three lanes wide. But they have those new digital speeding cameras in the Wurzburg area. Then from Nurnberg South to Munich is very nice indeed.
My friend was VERY clear I was to obey posted limits (I did religiously, plus the car is insured as a company vehicle, not personal. Anything I did would not likely have been covered)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #18
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
I did Euro Delivery with my 128i. Euro Delivery is highly recommended if you really want to experience what your BMW was designed to do. Even my little 128i will hit the 150MPH speed limiter.

One interesting Autobahn experience was driving about 125MPH and having a group of motorcycles fly past about 50MPH faster than I was going.
      11-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

best post in a while. thanks
      11-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #20
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
It's too bad. So many awful drivers on the road here...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #21
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Great information.. Thanks Dack..

Headed over to the Fatherland sometime soon and looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
best post in a while. thanks
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
It's too bad. So many awful drivers on the road here...
Yea... I know. Everytime I return back home to the states, some of the drivers really scare me. Especially how no one knows how to yield or stop. Also the cops over here aren't so much in your face as the Polizei over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post
Great information.. Thanks Dack..

Headed over to the Fatherland sometime soon and looking forward to it.
If you need any help on ideas on where to visit or any planning help.. just shoot me a PM. Also take a look at my ED Museum(Dackel's European Delivery Museum Guide) link under my sig.
Appreciate 0