E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > I have a crazy iPod idea. Someone please stop me!!

04-21-2006, 01:34 AM   #23
s3rous
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Electric Red

If you are going to have a full laptop and an ipod. You might as well just have the ipod in its original form but linked to the laptop at all times through usb or whatever. Then you could remote into the laptop and put your songs on the ipod. Then there is no hacking except integrating the laptop into the car.... That would also leave many other options open like connecting the computer screen to the idrive screen and being able to switch between computer and idrive. I dont think putting the ipod drive into the laptop is a very feasible idea.
Xenon Lights
Comfort Access
15% tint
19" M5 Replica Wheels
H&R Sport Springs (not installed)
Koni Sport Shocks (not installed)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 02:42 AM   #24
xcalibr
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3rous
If you are going to have a full laptop and an ipod. You might as well just have the ipod in its original form but linked to the laptop at all times through usb or whatever. Then you could remote into the laptop and put your songs on the ipod. Then there is no hacking except integrating the laptop into the car.... That would also leave many other options open like connecting the computer screen to the idrive screen and being able to switch between computer and idrive. I dont think putting the ipod drive into the laptop is a very feasible idea.
That was the original idea.. however the problem there is connecting the ipod connector from the car and having the ipod connected to the laptop at the same time... either way you end up disconnecting the link to transfer songs onto the ipod... so you might as well jsut disconnect and bring it inside... as opposed to having a laptop in the car full time.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 08:17 AM   #25
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
There is no question it would be a lot of effort to save the simple steps of taking my iPod with me when I got out of the car, syncing, and putting it back in. Also, I don't need even 60GB of space...heck I have my entire music collection on my Shuffle. Furthermore, there is even a good chance that Apple will come out with a WiFi iPod/Phone relatively soon to render much of the work required valueless.

It's still a fun project and I'm going to sit on it for 2 weeks to let my enthusiasm cool down a bit. I just need to build one cable, a lightweight USB driver, an iTunes plug-in and register itunesyourbmw.com.

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #26
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320 D, March 2006,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
There is no question it would be a lot of effort.....
You think that was a crazy idea needing a lot of effort... well this one will blow you away..

My idea is atually in theory very easy to do...

I am planning to take my Tivo series 1 apart and transplant it into my E90 :rocks:

Here's how:

Tivo:
power supply
Hard Drive
Main Board
Airnet Card (Wi-Fi)

This is easy and fairly small....

Using the video and idrive adapter from this forum connect it up

What will this offer me?

40 hours of hi quality recorded TV
Tivo still updates it schedule via Wi-Fi ( as the can is parked 20 foot from the router)
Movies, podcasts, Music can be downloaded to the Tivo via Wi-Fi.

Now you know this all makes sense.....

Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 05:59 PM   #27
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Cool, but how in the world in your TiVo (Linux box) going to play podcasts and MP3s?? Also, what is the iDrive experience going to be? Will you be able to use the iDrive controller??

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2006, 01:38 PM   #28
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320 D, March 2006,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
Cool, but how in the world in your TiVo (Linux box) going to play podcasts and MP3s?? Also, what is the iDrive experience going to be? Will you be able to use the iDrive controller??
Pretty much anything you like is possible with Tivo... Just check ou the forum......

As for the Idrive check out the following:

I drive controller unit

E90 display as a TV

TV and Nav to Go
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2006, 04:54 AM   #29
Jackdaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330 SE (E90) Auto

You can add a 3.5 inch hard drive to an ipod - here is a guide

However the Dension Gateway 500 allows for USB connection to a mass storage device as well as ipod connection. Like the OEM BMW adaptor it permits navigation via Idrive. It is available in June.

I plan to to connect a NAT hardrive via USB to the Gateway 500 and its ethernet port to an ethernet wireless bridge. I could then add mp3's via my wireless network.
Appreciate 0