BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Agent Orange
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 DSB/Black

135i dead at dealer due to "Programming" and "Vehicle Order"

I took my 135i in last Thursday for 3 things:

1. Seat belt retractor recall
2. Cup holder broken (what a crap design)
3. HPFP needed to be re-programmed

My original HPFP failed at 1,200 miles, and when it was replaced, they put the new part in.

But they said there needed to be a software update. I took it in on Thursday morning (Dec 30), and the service rep said it would be ready between 2pm and 3pm. Don't get me started on his lack of ability to make a phone call...but suffice to say that it was not done on Thursday...and it was not done on Friday...and it's still not done.

They're claiming that there was a "computer crash" when applying the new software updates and the car is dead. They need to get a new "vehicle order" number from BMW North American before they can re-program, etc...

They called this morning (Monday, Jan 3) to tell me that they're still waiting for the Vehicle Order so they can "attempt" (their words) to recover.

WTF?

Any thoughts on this. I feel like I'm getting the run around.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

"Computer crashes during programming" seems to be a common "problem". It could well be an excuse that the whole process hasn't gone as planned, but an easy excuse to dole out. Possibly after they did the update, something wasn't right. Perhaps the fuel pump installation didn't go smoothly. Possibly they did something else to the car and need to repair it. Possibly the computer really did crash. Without being on the scene you have no way of knowing.
      01-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Never heard of this happening to anybody...that sucks big time man

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Sounds a bit fishy. Really, the only thng that can happen is that the ecu will no longer accept a flash image. Without the image, the car won't start or run. It is like needing to reformat and reinstall windows after you put in a new hard drive. Not sure why BMW's flashing system has become so complicated though.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

It happens...

during programming there is a conflict with what the softwear says is in your car and what it actually has..

if for whatever reason the programming station does not "see" what you car has then it can crash, and or not complete programming and it just stays there trying to load something that it cant.

for instance... it may think you have nav but you dont... it locks up on the "update nav" session and thats it.. the Vehicle order or "VO" is the blueprint too you car. if it is corupt then programming stops.

since BMW was out " thursday / friday for holiday and they are playing catch up with requests then it is quiet possible that it may take until tomorrow.

VO's are only created at BMW NA and emailed to the center, then loaded into your car.

sorry that you dont have your car... but until that VO is in... you have a 50k paperweight...
      01-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
It happens...
sorry that you dont have your car... but until that VO is in... you have a 50k paperweight...
CLASSICROTF

as for BMW "programming/software"= FAIL
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
Agent Orange
Enlisted Member
Rep

So....here's the update.

First of all...I do have a loaner. I got the loaner last Thursday when the car wasn't ready when originally promised. It's a 328i. Boring and stripped...but it's a car.

I was in contact with the dealer today. They're clueless. They can't seem to do anything. They claim that they can't get the magic file that they need. They cannot get it working. Some Regional Engineer from BMW is supposed to show up tomorrow (of course he originally was supposed to show up today....but....you get the picture),....and HE is supposed to be able to fix it. Apparetnly, HE has the right file to load. Nobody else has it. And I asked why they couldn't simply send the dealer the file over the internet....and I was told (and I am NOT JOKING here!) that it was because of Digital Rights Management. Um. What?

Anyway. Bottom line of the update is: car still dead.

What I'm concerned about is...is this a software issue or is there a problem with one of the computers that would require parts now??
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 06:48 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sometimes... the Regional Service Manager has access to files and fixes that the techs at the dealer do not have in the "official" chanels. I would not worry too much right now. Give it another day or two - lets see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
gstopyra
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

I had this happen to me when I brought mine in for the seatbelt recall. It was almost a week before I got my car back. I guess the computer crashed during re-programming, causing a failure of several of my car modules (key recognition, navigation...) Dealership was doing everything they can...even called in the regional/national "master tech" to help. I guess there used to be an easier way for them to diagnose with master techs...but BMW NA downsized those jobs, meaning now they have to write back to National or even Germany for an answer. At least that's what my SA told me.

Computers in cars do suck...but it will sell.
      01-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Sounds miserable. I hope you have a loaner.
      01-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
So....here's the update.

First of all...I do have a loaner. I got the loaner last Thursday when the car wasn't ready when originally promised. It's a 328i. Boring and stripped...but it's a car.

I was in contact with the dealer today. They're clueless. They can't seem to do anything. They claim that they can't get the magic file that they need. They cannot get it working. Some Regional Engineer from BMW is supposed to show up tomorrow (of course he originally was supposed to show up today....but....you get the picture),....and HE is supposed to be able to fix it. Apparetnly, HE has the right file to load. Nobody else has it. And I asked why they couldn't simply send the dealer the file over the internet....and I was told (and I am NOT JOKING here!) that it was because of Digital Rights Management. Um. What?

Anyway. Bottom line of the update is: car still dead.

What I'm concerned about is...is this a software issue or is there a problem with one of the computers that would require parts now??
Jeeze.. sorry man..

here is the scoop.. The engineer's ( RTE- Regional Technical Engineer) have what is called the "magic laptop" They have stuff direct from Germany, and that data for somereason can not be "sent" in the normal fashion. Although a delay, it is good that that is happening because he has the ability to correct any other "conflicts" that may arise.

your concern is well founded, but not in a bad way. There >>>may<<< be a control unit that for some reason is of a level of softwere that just simply wont take the new softwear, and hence creates the issue to begin with. Your car may require the most unrelated piece of hardwear inorder for everything to finally jive .... it could be something as simple as the rain sensor, or the TCU for the sos/ bluetooth function... none the less feel confident that the majic laptop will help..

hate too see a car down for this, it happens every once in a while theses days.. def not as bad as like a year ago...

relax as much as possible.. im guessing 2 days from today, youll be in your car..

p.s. from what you say, the dealer did what they could, even they can only go so far, it does not sound as they are blowing smoke up your arse...although i bet the advisor blew you off for a few days espically at the holiday weekend. its frustrating for you and the delaer.... believe me...when i say that.. fyi the pic below is a picture out of my office window....

curious to here how it comes out... keep us posted..
Attached Images

01-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
I was in kind of a similar situation. Bring my car in for a 10,000 maintenance...

1. Oil Change and whatever else needed to be done at 10k miles
2. Seat Belt Recall
3. Had issues with windows not opening below 30F (software fix)
4. Problems with passenger airbag sensor

First off they did the first 2 things no problem. Then I get that they need to order a new passenger airbag sensor for my car of course the dealer DOESN'T HAVE IT IN STOCK... so they give me a 10 day shipping window and give me a loaner.

I get a phone call a day later I guess when they get around to the windows... as soon as they updated the computer they blew out my radio... and what do you know the BMW dealer did not have a new radio in stock... so they give me another 10 day shipping window to get the new parts.

Now after 3 days they get this fixed. (Pretty fast and efficiently) many many phone calls unreturned calls... thank god for my service representative or the parts people would hate me. Got my car back, was pissed that they left it looking like complete $hiT inside... really messy. After driving it home I find out that when I turn OFF the radio there is white noise still coming out of the speakers... Take my car in the next day (I don't schedule appointments anymore because of there issues with taking car of my car on time) and find out they have to replace the radio AGAIN! They obviously don't have a new radio at the dealer and have to order a new one...

The one good thing I can say is that they did offer a delivery service for a rental car (I was tired of driving up there 20+ times) and they dropped it off signed and picked up my car)

Now I just wait without my car saddened that this ever happened to a 2009 128i...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
Agent Orange
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here's the latest:

I still don't have my car.

I received a voice mail from the Shop Mgr at 1140am this morning. He said that the BMW Tech was able to recover the car, and they were in the process of re-programming.

He said he would call later in the day when the car was done.

Suffice to say...there was no phone call. This dealership does not seem to be able to make a simple phone call. So I call the service dept....and everyone had gone home. I spoke to the General Mgr of the dealership...and he called the Service Mgr and left a message.

Ridiculous.

I'm assuming that there was some other problem. But the no communication bs is just astounding.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #14
RäDIOCLäSH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: jb 135i

Joy shmoy

I hope this load of shite doesn't fall on me tomorrow.....cuz I'm going in for my"detune"...aka ecu remap...whatever.Though I've been trouble free since mile 6000(2 hpfp's), I'm going in for the ecu sphincter remap.
All I can say is....the car better not be sluggish afterward, and they better not eff it up!
Anyone out there know if the performance numbers(hp/tq) have been affected because of this "service bulletin"????
-sorry about your bad treatment Agent Orange.I know this song all too well!

2010 Jet Black 135i Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
I must say the service department people are very bad at calling back. I usually call them. However I have had a good rep take care of me since my incident. I don't take no as an answer!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #16
Agent Orange
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, I finally have the car back.

Everything seems to be normal. Frustrating that it took several business days to get done. I definitely will not be taking it back to that dealer. I'm in So Cal and have many options...so I'd rather try someone else next time.

Some settings were lost (triple turn signal, seat memory, etc...), but the important ones (homelink, bluetooth) were still there.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:

Everything seems to be normal. Frustrating that it took several business days to get done. I definitely will not be taking it back to that dealer. I'm in So Cal and have many options...so I'd rather try someone else next time.

Some settings were lost (triple turn signal, seat memory, etc...), but the important ones (homelink, bluetooth) were still there.
im glad you got it back.. good guess on my part...

seat memory is tough to reset.. and programmers get the radio stations, but forget to look at the b/c settings.. cant teach an old dog new tricks... most of them get it though..

it will take a day or so or normal driving to see what you have but all should be good..

good luck !!!

p.s. any dealer that would have programmed your car would have had the same issue.... but i know .. it was the freakin lack of communication..

see ya...
      01-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #18
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:

Glad you got your car back dude. I would have been as frustrated as you were. This is my first car that periodically requires software updates, so after reading this thread you gave me something to be concerned about.

I just had a software update a couple weeks ago and I lost the triple turn signal and my stereo settings. I dont have electric seats but I still had to adjust that too, lol.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
Agent Orange
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here's the text from the service order for those of you that are geeky or technically inclined.

RECALL N54 Programming HDP, B 13 09 10
service recall due performed sib 13 09 10. Reprogrammed vehicle software level including cas. during programming vehicle failed programming. performed battery reset, performed another programming session vehicle failed again. as per puma 37143069 RTE came in and recovered jbe control unit. programmed vehicle after jbe was recovered. BO and ULF-BX failed programming due to vehicle losing enabling codes. Performed another battery reset, began new programming session. Reinstalled enabling codes and programmed vehicle once more. All control unit updated successful. cleared faults.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #20
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Glad you got your car back. Just got my car DELIVERED back to me today! Haha... fun stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #21
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
You guys know you can reactivate the triple turn signal (lane change) function through the i-drive.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0