BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #23
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
What is DV? I am planning on keeping the stock springs (don't want to lower the car) Indy shop recommended Bilstein HD. But, I only need the rears now to pass state inspection. Indy mechanic said he will check the fronts but normally the rears wear out first.
Diverter valves. The stock ones on my car are leaking.

Also correct on the shocks. My rears started leaking just before winter. One of my fronts just started leaking. Im gonna be going with TCKline coils. They ride well and handle better than the stock suspension.

My argument there is that the stock suspension was built for runflats and I haven't had runflats on the car since 2009. So I may as well build a quality suspension that actually works with my wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:08 AM   #24
mistawall
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
well i plan on keeping mine. so ill be frequenting the forums! trying to get my turbos replaced under warranty for waste gate rattle but i gotta remove my jb3 and my dps before i bring it in.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 01:24 AM   #25
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

My warranty was up last year and I'm not going anywhere. Didn't buy an extended warranty. Don't wanna spend the money. I'll pay for repairs when they happen. I understand that an extended warranty is peace of mind for some folks, just not for me.
      04-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #26
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
My warranty was up last year and I'm not going anywhere.
I like that.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2015, 07:54 AM   #27
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
My warranty was up last year and I'm not going anywhere. Didn't buy an extended warranty. Don't wanna spend the money. I'll pay for repairs when they happen. I understand that an extended warranty is peace of mind for some folks, just not for me.
I didn't get an extended warranty, between 50 and 100k I had one failure, well I had several at once. 4 injectors bombed at 74k but BMW wouldn't cover it. But that was still cheaper than the extended warranty. So I came out ahead.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #28
floppyedonkey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVHoo View Post
Its called renewing warranty coverage with a new car. I would never take the after warranty maintenance costs on a model that is proving to have issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #29
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppyedonkey View Post
I would never take the after warranty maintenance costs on a model that is proving to have issues.
Can you name a make/model of any car anywhere that doesn't have known issues? The days of Honda and Toyota bulletproof reliability are long gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #30
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I didn't get an extended warranty, between 50 and 100k I had one failure, well I had several at once. 4 injectors bombed at 74k but BMW wouldn't cover it. But that was still cheaper than the extended warranty. So I came out ahead.
My sentiments exactly. When it happens, it happens, but why spend the money ahead of time? Besides, an extended warranty is expensive and you probably won't spend that much money on the repairs, but if you buy the extended warranty, you'll definitely spend a lot. Not putting down the people who buy them... to each their own. This is just my opinion on the subject.
      04-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #31
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

One more point I want to make regarding extended warranties is that I'm sure there are times when you buy an extended warranty and that warranty expires and THEN parts start going bad and you have to shell out additional money. That, has GOTTA hurt. And in those cases, the money spent on the extended warranty is a waste. O-U-C-H!
      04-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #32
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
One more point I want to make regarding extended warranties is that I'm sure there are times when you buy an extended warranty and that warranty expires and THEN parts start going bad and you have to shell out additional money. That, has GOTTA hurt. And in those cases, the money spent on the extended warranty is a waste. O-U-C-H!
Excellent point. That's the gamble many of us are not willing to take. Paying for "maybe it will break" during this time period.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #33
floppyedonkey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Can you name a make/model of any car anywhere that doesn't have known issues? The days of Honda and Toyota bulletproof reliability are long gone.
I'm just saying that regardless of reliability (which is hit or miss nowadays), warranty coverage is what I'm looking for, especially when a car has exhibited issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #34
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppyedonkey View Post
I'm just saying that regardless of reliability (which is hit or miss nowadays), warranty coverage is what I'm looking for, especially when a car has exhibited issues.
If this is your picture, can I buy you a drink?

I have two years of CPO remaining. If nothing major fails within that time, I will at least explore an after-market warranty just to compare costs (of same vs replacing something major that will fail eventually). My car's original owner (it was not leased) decided to part with it when his factory warranty expired... I have to believe for the same reason.
      04-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #35
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
I sorta considered an extended warranty, but after the battery fiasco (which apparenty isn't covered by the freakin' warranty), there's no way I'm going to hand BMW any more money than I have to.
      04-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #36
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Bought an '08 135i about september last year, and it's been in the shop quite a bit, though not for maintenance. The only "maintenance" it's needed so far has been rear pads and a trans gasket leak, all the rest has been for installing modifications that I couldn't do myself or with the help of friends. Knock on wood. Twice I've had the CEL ding, but be gone by the morning and not reappear, which I consider to likely be attributable to a piggyback tuned car causing a sensor to go out of normal range for a fraction of a second on a car that thinks it's stock. I'll really have to write down the code next time that happens, to know for sure. I've been modding it, increasing power, tuning it, beating on it, launching it, and so far haven't had any issues greater than I've had with any of my previous cars.

I intend to keep it for the long haul, as I deeply love the car and it's everything I've really ever wanted in a vehicle. If I ever have to get rid of it, it'll be for reasons out of my control. Knock on more wood. The way I figure is as long as I have the means, I'll probably always drive a BMW of some sort. My next car 5+ years down the road once this one limps out will probably be an M4 if prices are reasonable by then, cause those things are absolute beasts, and they look great too.

Last edited by BMW135pls; 04-13-2015 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 1