BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2024, 07:22 AM   #23
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Seems the front works, and the rear hits the fender. You could go narrower, seems like that could do it on its own. 10mm narrower tire = pulls in 5mm per side, and might stop rubbing. But... 1) If it's a different brand it might just go back out since not all companies measure the exact same way, you'd have to have Tire Rack or someone help verify (they can do this, they actually have physical measurements on a lot of what they sell). 2) If you go taller, you may just be right back to rubbing again even with less width. 3) Spacers will only make it worse.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 06:14 PM   #24
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Hmm, I'm surprised your don't rub the strut, but do rub in the rear. For sure that's what happens with rear rubbing, occurs at speed with rear weight/passengers. I even went to a lightweight battery and no rear seat to help my rear rubbing.

That's my favorite tire but it does run wide. Sounds like the main issues are your tire brand and your fender liner.

You can't be rubbing much in the rear, probably just barely rubbing the inner fender liner. I'd just cut the inner fender liner out for a few inches above the fender lip. It's easy to cut with a box cutter, etc. Bet that fixes it.

If not fixed, then I'd add a little camber in the rear and since that means a new alignment I'd also "pull the pins" and see if you can add some front camber too. I bet you only have 1 deg or less of rear camber, get them to adjust it up to a little more camber than you have in front. I have 2deg camber front and rear but I'm lowered, etc. 1 in front, 1.5-2 degrees rear camber would be a good setup. Make sure they keep your toe as low as possible, toe and camber eats up tires.

An easier fix next time you get tires is buy about any other tire brand, Michelin PSS's hang over the rim more than most.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.

Last edited by Eyeman; 04-23-2024 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0