08-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #244
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Ein View Post
Exactly. So getting there by 8am should be okay.

p66
cracka
M3 Adjuster
Mnime
fermat1313
BrianB496

You guys/gal in?
I'm gonna try... but I just got in, and 8 am is less than 6 hours away.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #245
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Group shot from Cars and Coffee

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #246
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

nice to meet you guys today. Sorry i missed ya Das Ein.

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #247
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka

I'm gonna try... but I just got in, and 8 am is less than 6 hours away.
I was out late too and had to work today also. . :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #248
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Group shot from Cars and Coffee

that looks awesome! I wasn't able to go today :\. I never show my car but next time I might, even though its just a lowly 128i xD.
      08-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #249
akbm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.00]
Here are a few shots I got of the 1M Coupes at Cars & Coffee - Dallas today.

The rest can be found at: http://andrewbarber.smugmug.com/Cars...7350&k=SzGWxg8
Attached Images

Current: '16 Porsche GT4
'15 F82 M4 (BIMMERPOST Euro Delivery Group 6/23/14)
Retired: '10 E90 335i / '03 E39 530i / '97 E36 M3 Coupe / '93 E36 325is
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #250
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep

good pics

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #251
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep

Track Info

Hello guys... I thought I would post the links to the local tracks and HPDE schools after hearing at C&C that a few of you might be interested but didn't know how to get started or who to start with.

Below are the links with MY opinions of each...feel free to chime in with more info if you see something I missed.

www.thedriversedge.net aka...TDE - great instruction for all levels esp. beginners. downside = most popular in TX and often crowded or sold out. Its very structured and you always know what to expect regardless of the track.

www.apexdrivingacademy.com - only runs at www.motorsportranch.com - MSRC - to my knowledge but they run the track in multiple configs including the 1.3 section. 1 day events at a good value and you get the A LOT of track time. It will wear you out. downside = not as structured as TDE and classroom is hit or miss on usefulness. (keep in mind, I am in the advanced group so this is just my perspective and not a slam on any instructors or the school. in my opinion again its not as "fast" a group as TDE). Good run off areas on most of MSRC at least on the 1.7 section. If doing the 3.1 for the first time keep in mind its a lot of track to learn (don't get discouraged if you don't get it all after 4 sessions).

www.eaglescanyon.com - ECR - Decatur/Slidell, TX - about the same as Apex but not as much track time. On their web site look for Open Track Day for Cars. Fun track and pretty fast straights but the brake zones are pretty bumpy at least they were the last time I was there and I've been told they have been fixed a little but there are still bumps there. This track is a killer on brakes!!! If you go in the summer be ready to pick grasshoppers out of every orifice of your car.

www.texasworldspeedway.com - TWS - College Station, TX - I have never done one of track sponsored events. I have only done this track with TDE. I suspect it is much like the ECR program. The track is FUN and not too technical. It is pretty easy to learn but does have a few places that you DO NOT want to go off the track. IMO there is nothing like coming off the banked straight CCW flat out on to the apron and then making turns 1 and 2. There is a few "pucker" areas on this track but once you work thru it and know what it feels like to get it right, you have a blast.

www.msrhouston.com - MSRH - Houston, TX - My fav track. Its fairly fast and has a high speed sweeper that is awesome. Like TWS and ECR they have their own driving school. I have nothing on this except that looking on their website its too pricey. TDE does this track and so does the Houston BMWCCA so a better deal can be found from on of those groups. The track itself is in great condition and they have a karting track too if you are into that. When TDE does an event their they usually get a deal with the karting track for 20.00 sessions. Downside = distance from Dallas and Houston traffic.

www.harrishillroad.com - H2R - San Marcos, TX - I have never been to this track. I have heard it is fun and it is a great track for a "handling" car like our 1M's. It does have a corkscrew turn like Mazada Raceway Luguna Seca so I am told. I have also been told its really in need of some repair but after looking at the website it seems the track is getting repaved currently. They have their own school and TDE use to do this track but hasn't recently because of the track condition. Maybe they will start again now. I also know their is a "noise" restriction as well which limits some performance cars with modified exhaust and race cars. The Tejas chapter does this track for their BMW CCA event each year.

www.hallettracing.net - Hallet, OK (between Stillwater/Tulsa) - I have yet to visit this track but hear it is great fun. They have a driving school that is a good value. The first time cost a little more but after that it is about 200 a weekend and you can just do one of those days for 100 if you want. Downside = distance. The Sunbelt chapter is doing a weekend at this track along with the LoneStar and the Kansas BMW clubs next month.

Finally there is the LoneStar BMW CCA group that does a couple HPDE's each year. I have done one so far and its a good value and not crowded. Typically its done at MSRC and varies between the 1.7 and 3.1 tracks. Not sure how this is for beginners but in advanced I found it was a little slower than TDE. Class instruction was hit and miss to me (my opinion, no offense). M3 Adjuster is the chief instructor and if you happen to get him, you'll be a little surprised. Great driver but very low key unlike a lot of instructors. He never got excited and was calm the whole time which was great. Nothing makes a driver more nervous than an instructor who gets too excited or yells at you. Thanks Mark!!!

If you need track inspections Classic and BMW of Dallas will do them free with an appointment. Others are Autoscope, FifthGear, and Texas Track Works but they all charge for the inspection I believe. Fifth and TTW may not if you are getting other work done with them. My personal fav is Texas Track Works but they are in FTW so its a bit of a drive. These guys know their stuff and they are usually at all local events and will provide track support if you need something.

Any questions or comments please post. I am sure we have enough track guys here to answer any questions.

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #252
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post
If you need track inspections Classic and BMW of Dallas will do them free with an appointment. Others are Autoscope, FifthGear, and Texas Track Works but they all charge for the inspection I believe. Fifth and TTW may not if you are getting other work done with them. My personal fav is Texas Track Works but they are in FTW so its a bit of a drive. These guys know their stuff and they are usually at all local events and will provide track support if you need something.

Any questions or comments please post. I am sure we have enough track guys here to answer any questions.
Thanks for all the info! Really helpful stuff.

Also, Clownshoe Motorsports will do a track inspection for free. BJ and Jeff are both great guys and know their stuff (especially for BMWs, which is what they specialize on). BJ did my track inspection for free, was quick and professional. BJ was also my instructor when I went out with The Driver's Edge. He is a great driver and instructor. Similar to what you said about Mark, he was calm yet knowledgeable and helpful.

Those of you looking to get to the track I would highly recommend TDE for your first event. They are very professional and preach safety first. I had an absolute blast and am now hooked (expensive hobby though). I ran the short track at MSR and from what I was told it was a great track to learn on.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #253
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I think you forgot about a big one in Fort Worth with banking ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #254
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

wow your camera is awesome ! pics look great
      08-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #255
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
I think you forgot about a big one in Fort Worth with banking ;-)
well i was trying to get the drive your own car tracks. do they let you do that at TMS?

I forgot about NASA too but I don't know anything about them really.

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #256
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
well i was trying to get the drive your own car tracks. do they let you do that at TMS?

I forgot about NASA too but I don't know anything about them really.
Sure. I've driven TMS 3 different times. It's just ok to be honest. The infield is not very challanging at all and has concrete drainage ditches throughout. The banked oval is fun for a couple laps then pretty dull other than the speed. The speed is far to high in my opinion for anything without a GOOD cage.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #257
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

Quote:
nice to meet you guys today. Sorry i missed ya Das Ein.

Yeah, I wish I could have stayed longer! I also wish I could have parked next to the other 1M's.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #258
Yellowceta
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
I think next time we should aim to arrive around 6:30 to all park together. That place is getting full much earlier due to the heat these days.
2011 1M - VO Florida pick up 11/4/11 #554 of 740 - Sold
2017 ATS-V Stock
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #259
aidge
Rep
Drives: AW 2017 BMW M3

Thanks for posting the pics Andrew, they look amazing! Good meeting everyone that came out on Saturday, look forward to the next meet up
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #260
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Autocross anyone?

Am I the only DFW 1M owner that autocrosses?

There are several clubs that run events locally and while there is not as much track time, events are a fraction of the cost of a DE.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #261
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

There are several clubs that run events locally and while there is not as much track time, events are a fraction of the cost of a DE.
Interested in Autocrossing too! Never done it though, would love to learn more!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #262
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

I SUCKed at AX!!!

Sucked in a MINI and sure i would suck in a 1M!

I have a hard enough time keeping my eyes up on a track and doing it on a short fast 1, 2, 3rd gear course does nothing but piss me off cause i cant think and see that quick. Besides its hot as hell on the TMS bus lot in the summer

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #263
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Texas 2 step.... October 20-21.. if you arent here...

well then you will be missing out!

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...DA020F3BFEDB74

time for all of you that are curious about a DE to get ON TRACK!

The Lone Star Chapter will be holding our third event of the year at Motorsport Ranch Cresson..
We will be doing the TEXAS TWO STEP. TWO TRACKS.. in the same weekend!

We will be running the 1.7 mile track in the counter clock-wise direction on Saturday and the clock-wise direction on Sunday.

Why come to a CCA event?

plenty of BMWs
plenty of other cars of all makes..
highly qualified instructors
instructors that KNOW your vehicle inside and out!
NO WAIT LIST!

Concerned about your car? Concerned that you might get a VETTE owner or maybe a Honda CRX owner as an instructor? Come to an event where the instructors are intimately familiar with your car, and the attributes of a BMW on track.

.. as Chief Instructor.. I make the instructor/student pairings.
With all cars and models, I endeavor to place instructors with cars that the instructor is familiar with, however I especially aim to do so with cars like the 1M where the numbers are a limited.

I can GA-RON-TEE that BMW CCA has the most 1M INSTRUCTORs out at each event in TX...

Registration is now open!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #264
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Hello guys... I thought I would post the links to the local tracks and HPDE schools after hearing at C&C that a few of you might be interested but didn't know how to get started or who to start with.

Below are the links with MY opinions of each...feel free to chime in with more info if you see something I missed.

<edited for space>

Finally there is the LoneStar BMW CCA group that does a couple HPDE's each year. I have done one so far and its a good value and not crowded. Typically its done at MSRC and varies between the 1.7 and 3.1 tracks. Not sure how this is for beginners but in advanced I found it was a little slower than TDE. Class instruction was hit and miss to me (my opinion, no offense). M3 Adjuster is the chief instructor and if you happen to get him, you'll be a little surprised. Great driver but very low key unlike a lot of instructors. He never got excited and was calm the whole time which was great. Nothing makes a driver more nervous than an instructor who gets too excited or yells at you. Thanks Mark!!!

Excellent, very informative post...

Our fall event this year will have FOUR student groups.. ( there is no club race for this event). Expect the run groups to shake out like other events you have been to with 4 groups, such as TDE. Three run group formats (whether CCA or not) tend to compress drivers together, and of course typically any DE run group is limited by the awareness and speed of the slowest drivers in that group. The top level group will also be allowed to pass with a point anywhere, a privilege which the instructor group also enjoys.
Appreciate 0