BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Oz135i
Rep
Drives:

Wind deflector, verts and child seats

Hi All - some questions for those that may have a quick answer for me.

As luck would have it, after buying a 135 convertible freedom machine i now have our first child on the way. I'm trying to see if i can make it work to keep it and what i have found so far is that it is unlikely (or may be a little tight) to fit a baby capsule (not a baby seat) in the rear seats. Baby capsule in Australia being for approx the first 6 months after which time the baby seats are generally used.

I am happy to get by without using my 135 vert as a baby carrier in the first 6 months - but the real questions are;

1. Will a smallish baby seat like the BMW lifestyle version (or the like) fit in the back seat?

2. Will a baby seat fit underneath the rear wind deflector for when the baby is not in the car?? I haven't even taken the wind deflector out of the packaging so i don't know how it sits / mounts. I was think that i'd prefer that the baby seat wasn't visible for all to see all the time. So maybe leaving the wind dflector unit mounted over the seat would block it out???

3. Can the wind deflector unit stay on in the car with the roof up (for simplicity) or do you have to take it out every time the roof goes up???.

May sound like stupid questions but any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Coach
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I'm not sure what a baby capsule is, but a rear facing baby seat will fit behind passenger seat. The front pass. will suffer. Since there is no middle seatbelt it is not possible to put a rear facing in the middle(I did that with my e36). Once your child is old enough to face forwar there is no worries.

I can't help you with the rest of the questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

I have a tried a few diff brands of car seats for my 3 yr old grandson and it is really tight.

In the end just purchased the safe n sound booster.. Its just a small booster to sit on with no back.:smile:.. This would be the only type of baby seat that can remain in while the wind deflector is in place.

There is NO WAY you will geta child capsule in there.

The wind deflector can remain in the car, roof up or down.. Only thing is when it is in place, you cant use the rear seats for passengers.:wink:
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Oz135i
Rep
Drives:

thanks for that. Would the booster work for a 6 month old are they for older (closer to 3 YO)? What brand model is it if you don't mind me asking - might look into it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz135i View Post
thanks for that. Would the booster work for a 6 month old are they for older (closer to 3 YO)? What brand model is it if you don't mind me asking - might look into it.
I tried quite a few styles but all touched the back of the front seat..

This is the Safe n Sound brand and its their most basic and simple booster..nothing else will fit..

It has NO lateral side supports, so realy the chils would have to be at least 2 years old.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
ryantx
Registered
Rep
Drives:

I have a coupe, but I have been getting by fine with using a rear facing infant seat behind the front passenger. I use the Graco Snugride, but the Chico KeyFit should work as well. The front passenger seat is unusable when the seat is in (It's a snap in system), but when the seat is removed (base is still installed) it doesn't cause a problem.

Also, getting the baby in and out of the car is fairly painless. Although, he's big enough now that the snap-in seats won't actually work. The bigger rear facing seats still fit (Britax Roundabout and Diplomat), but it's going to be more of a hassle to get the baby in and out of the car. It may be easier for you since you have the vert.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Major difference between the coupe and the vert in regards to rear seat width and forward room mate..

What fits in the coupe most prob wont fit in the vert..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #8
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

There's a reason the deflector folds and comes with a bag... you gotta use it I'm afraid. Lucky for me, she's got the coupe and by the time the baby comes mid next year, the vert will be gone

Keep us updated on how you make out!