BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Active Steering?

Can someone clarify what exactly Active Steering is, and how it helps or doesnt, i always saw that when building a BMW, and wondered what is it for?

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
AlienDNA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i LeMans Blue

Essentially, it reduces steering effort at low speed to make navigating parking lots easier. In Canada and the US, I doubt you'd find much benefit, unless you need the assist for a physical reason, or spend a lot of time in the French Quarter of N.O,

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So the active steering reduces the strength needed to steer the wheel at low speeds? just checking if i understand it correctly
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknRedi View Post
So the active steering reduces the strength needed to steer the wheel at low speeds? just checking if i understand it correctly
No, it changes the steering angle based on speed. For example with active steering, to reach steering angle X at low speeds, you would have to turn the steering wheel 1/8 of a turn. At high speeds, 1/4 of a turn
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
Cooldaddygroove
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

= less turn of the steering wheel to make the wheels turn (low speeds). I had it in my 5 series, and it was one of the best features BMW makes.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Exactly... I had a 5 series with the active steering and it was fantastic..

On the bigger cars (5 series and up) it is a must IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So its pointless on Compact cars since there small already?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

True..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok got it, thank you guys
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

Drive one with and one without. Make your own choice.

My own choice was to stay far away from it. I didn't like the way it worked at all on either the 1 or the 3. Never tried it on the 5 though.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

It is not pointless, just maybe not as important to ppl here, and why most here do not get it.

It also adjusts steering when the headwind is pushing the car to one direction, yet you need to keep the car straight. You know, when you normally would have to turn the wheel a bit to cut into the wind, it fixes that. Cool! It also helps big time when you are in a dangerous situation, and you need to turn and stay in control, say when you slide, and you need to take control of the car. I had the pleasure of a closed circuit and trying it when the car was made to slide! I think if someone is a very nervous driver, or say they are not the only driver and the other driver does not drive all the time, it can be very nice! Say your wife only drove 1 time a week, when the weather is very bad but she must drive, it can be a life saver! I think that is why they have it on the 5... more of a safety thing. I have comfort access for similar reasons... (2 drivers, with the FOB, it will adjust the seat for me before I sit in it, to my memory setting!)

BTW some people complain that it might get in the way of the car feel but you know what... BMW goes to extremes to keep that feel, unlike the big 3 who just stick things in... and forgets about driving pleasure. So I would agree, if you saw that in them, I would avoid like the plague!

I have noticed that every single feature you can get on the 1, does not destroy the drive! That is very important... It might not be for every1, but you still enjoy the drive.

Also those who say manual is better, it's not...just different. Auto on the 1 is also very nice! Active Steering is the very same... done with a lot of taste.

That is my 2 cents.

BTW anyone who has not tried it, it is really cool! Worth trying if you can find a dealership to try it out. It's one of those un-noticed features on paper and seems totally pointless till you try it (you have to slide and try taking control to fully appreciate it’s worth)... maybe you will not want it on a 1, but when you are 50 or 60 and you need a 5 or something, you will be happy you tried it. Same with an airbag, you only appreciate it when it saves your face from being mashed into the glass! Maybe 1 thing I might not want to try in a car, just for the fun of it!

EspressoBoy
      11-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #12
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by former View Post
Drive one with and one without. Make your own choice.

My own choice was to stay far away from it. I didn't like the way it worked at all on either the 1 or the 3. Never tried it on the 5 though.
I disagree!

I know if you just drive normally, you do not feel it's worth. You need to try it on a closed circuit where they put powder down and ask you to drive fast, slide and try to take control. Only then you will say, "Wow!" It really does have the wow factor... BTW it's hard to be asked to take a car out of control, 1/2 of the people just could not get themselves to drive fast enough to skid...

I think BMW should spend the time to do a youtube of the two, to demo the effect, from outside and from the drivers point of view! Think of it this way, if you never ever saw an airbag come out, and they said you had to pay like 2.5k to get them, you too would say...PASS on that option! Till you needed it...then what?

I think also those that drive in winter situations, where there is the potential of black ice, then you will be very happy to have it... it really could be that factor that saved you from going over a wall, into a truck, or just into a ditch at 2 am in the middle of nowhere!

EspressoBoy
      11-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

i read about it and kinda thought that it would be a problem for me...like if you're used to the steering angle being X when you move the steering wheel by Y, you might misjudge the direction that the car is actually pointed in and sideswipe something....

but if it works well for you who've tried it, then....
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #14
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I tried a 135 with it back to back to one without at a BMW test drive event. I don't think itis worth the money. It works okay and I have nothing bad to say about it. I don't think you would notice it in daily driving. There is one exception. If you are into AUTOX racing it would be worth the money. I took the car thru a tight autoX course and it made a huge difference. You could go thru some tight cones without too much effort with the active steering. Then try the non-active car and I had my arms flying all over the place trying to keep up! Very cool for the AUTOX...not worth the money for daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #15
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Active Steering was designed by BMW for a purpose... to increase the steering response, stability and performance. In doing so, it has a number of effects upon the steering dynamics.

Specifically, Active Steering (AS) replaces the standard fixed steering ratio with a variable steering ratio. The "feel" of the road is not changed with AS, due to its inherent design characteristics, although the steering is slightly lighter to the touch. This AS design can be studied and understood by visiting the BMW website.

Specifically, when the vehicle is moving at slower speeds, the steering ratio and response is quicker than the non-AS standard ratio, thus giving the vehicle a faster and greater steering response when turning the steering wheel. This increased response reduces the distance the steering wheel is turned in order to navigate the vehicle around a corner, for example. Therefore when making steering maneuvers when driving, such as on winding roads and turning corners, the vehicle responds faster and quicker... essentially this is increased steering performance.

On the other hand, when the vehicle with AS is being driven at high speeds, the steering ratio is slower than the standard non-AS vehicle. This increases the steering's stability and eliminates any steering twitchiness that can accompany high-speed driving.

Because the AS ratio is speed dependent, it is necessary for the driver to acclimate, or adjust, to the AS system. Initially, the driver's brain will recognize that the steering ratio changes, and this will seem strange at first. However, the relationship between speed and steering ratio is a never-changing relationship, and therefore the brain adjusts to it over a short period of time.

Once this adjustment between driver and AS-equipped vehicle is complete, the AS system is awesome, and driving the standard ratio seems sluggish by comparison.

There are those that claim the AS is only good for parking, which of course is simply a side benefit for those folks that have trouble parking... but the real benefit that BMW had in mind isn't parking... it is to increase steering performance. Other manufacturers are increasingly offering similar systems in their vehicles because there is so much merit to an AS system.

Beyond the steering performance enhancements offered by Active Steering, the BMW vehicle's stability system is connected to the AS, and in the event of an emergency steering maneuver, the AS will provide a safer and more stable response to the maneuver. Again, there is information on the BMW website, as well as the internet, which explains this wonderful system and all of its benefits.

Is it worth the money? Because it is easy to drive the standard steering, which is fairly adequate, Active Steering seems more like an expensive and unecessary option. As a perspective, most folks don't mod their BMWs because they are terrific in stock form. But there are those that want to squeeze every possible performance enhancement there is out of their cars. AS is likewise an option for those that want the highest level of steering performance, even though it isn't really all that necessary. It's just an extra step up that most probably wouldn't need.

I personally owned a 135i coupe without AS, and then tested the AS extensively before ordering my 135i convertible. It was a good thing I tested it for quite a while, because at first, I didn't like it. Then after spending some considerable time behind the wheel, I started to acclimate to the system... and then when I later drove the non-AS vehicle again, I knew without any doubt that I was willing to spend the extra money to get the enhancements provided by the AS option.

I also drive a Porsche Carrera S, and have recently owned a Lotus Elise, and have previously owned other Porsches and a Ferrari. I like my cars to be responsive. I certainly didn't get the AS to make parking easier, which is a silly suggestion I have read on previous threads about Active Steering. I ordered it because the vehicle's steering offers better performance and stability characteristics than without it. Period.

I hope this helps clarify some of the misunderstandings about AS, and I strongly suggest that you drive vehicles both with and without the AS option before you decide. Truthfully, whichever way you choose to get your 135i, you will love it. There is no right or wrong here... only a matter of personal preference. But again, either way, it's one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever driven at any price.

TM
      12-01-2008, 01:57 AM   #16
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
Active Steering was designed by BMW for a purpose... to increase the steering response, stability and performance. In doing so, it has a number of effects upon the steering dynamics.

Specifically, Active Steering (AS) replaces the standard fixed steering ratio with a variable steering ratio. The "feel" of the road is not changed with AS, due to its inherent design characteristics, although the steering is slightly lighter to the touch. This AS design can be studied and understood by visiting the BMW website.

Specifically, when the vehicle is moving at slower speeds, the steering ratio and response is quicker than the non-AS standard ratio, thus giving the vehicle a faster and greater steering response when turning the steering wheel. This increased response reduces the distance the steering wheel is turned in order to navigate the vehicle around a corner, for example. Therefore when making steering maneuvers when driving, such as on winding roads and turning corners, the vehicle responds faster and quicker... essentially this is increased steering performance.

On the other hand, when the vehicle with AS is being driven at high speeds, the steering ratio is slower than the standard non-AS vehicle. This increases the steering's stability and eliminates any steering twitchiness that can accompany high-speed driving.

Because the AS ratio is speed dependent, it is necessary for the driver to acclimate, or adjust, to the AS system. Initially, the driver's brain will recognize that the steering ratio changes, and this will seem strange at first. However, the relationship between speed and steering ratio is a never-changing relationship, and therefore the brain adjusts to it over a short period of time.

Once this adjustment between driver and AS-equipped vehicle is complete, the AS system is awesome, and driving the standard ratio seems sluggish by comparison.

There are those that claim the AS is only good for parking, which of course is simply a side benefit for those folks that have trouble parking... but the real benefit that BMW had in mind isn't parking... it is to increase steering performance. Other manufacturers are increasingly offering similar systems in their vehicles because there is so much merit to an AS system.

Beyond the steering performance enhancements offered by Active Steering, the BMW vehicle's stability system is connected to the AS, and in the event of an emergency steering maneuver, the AS will provide a safer and more stable response to the maneuver. Again, there is information on the BMW website, as well as the internet, which explains this wonderful system and all of its benefits.

Is it worth the money? Because it is easy to drive the standard steering, which is fairly adequate, Active Steering seems more like an expensive and unecessary option. As a perspective, most folks don't mod their BMWs because they are terrific in stock form. But there are those that want to squeeze every possible performance enhancement there is out of their cars. AS is likewise an option for those that want the highest level of steering performance, even though it isn't really all that necessary. It's just an extra step up that most probably wouldn't need.

I personally owned a 135i coupe without AS, and then tested the AS extensively before ordering my 135i convertible. It was a good thing I tested it for quite a while, because at first, I didn't like it. Then after spending some considerable time behind the wheel, I started to acclimate to the system... and then when I later drove the non-AS vehicle again, I knew without any doubt that I was willing to spend the extra money to get the enhancements provided by the AS option.

I also drive a Porsche Carrera S, and have recently owned a Lotus Elise, and have previously owned other Porsches and a Ferrari. I like my cars to be responsive. I certainly didn't get the AS to make parking easier, which is a silly suggestion I have read on previous threads about Active Steering. I ordered it because the vehicle's steering offers better performance and stability characteristics than without it. Period.

I hope this helps clarify some of the misunderstandings about AS, and I strongly suggest that you drive vehicles both with and without the AS option before you decide. Truthfully, whichever way you choose to get your 135i, you will love it. There is no right or wrong here... only a matter of personal preference. But again, either way, it's one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever driven at any price.

TM
This is the best write up on Active Steering yet! Thanks!

Next time someone asks, I will just send them this thread!

EspressoBoy

PS
I agree and the 5 minutes I got to try it just does not do it justice. I think if one had the chance to drive it for a few days, 1 would see the benefits. It's a shame there is not a better way to promote such things. Personally I have not see 1 thing on the 1 that was not well thought out.
      12-03-2008, 02:57 AM   #17
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Definition of Active Steering: At low speeds turns like a Buick with little effort.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #18
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I have it on my 135 and I love it! I just drove my brothers 128 this week (he doesn't have it) and it makes a HUGE difference. His steering was so heavy and required so much effort that I almost hit the outside curb on every turn I went around. Maybe my arms have just atrophied from active steering, I dunno.
      12-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #19
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
Definition of Active Steering: At low speeds turns like a Buick with little effort.
LOL... That's quite an analysis, Heinz.

If you want to believe that a company like BMW designed and engineered their high-performance, speed-dependent, variable-ratio Active Steering system to "turn like a Buick"... well, you just go right ahead... and you might also believe that the tooth fairy will put some money under your pillow tonight after your mommy tucks you in. :biggrin:

(sorry... j/k... couldn't resist)
      12-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #20
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Not sure if you're familiar with the mouse acceleration feature for windows, but I imagine its some-what similar for steering..
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #21
bluecollardoc
Rep
Drives:

best response i've read yet

Is it worth the money? Because it is easy to drive the standard steering, which is fairly adequate, Active Steering seems more like an expensive and unecessary option. As a perspective, most folks don't mod their BMWs because they are terrific in stock form. But there are those that want to squeeze every possible performance enhancement there is out of their cars. AS is likewise an option for those that want the highest level of steering performance.... (emphasis mine)

AS is a great tool to get the best out of your 135, especially if you mix city and spirited country driving...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 06:54 AM   #22
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Squeak - Active steering is not something most folks that track their car want. It varies the steering ratio (number of turns of the steering wheel it takes for a given wheel/tire angle) based on speed.

Everyone I've talked to that regularly tracks the car says not to order AS. That isn't a 100% sample of people tracking cars though. ; -)
Appreciate 0