BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-04-2008, 07:03 AM   #23
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

it's nice on my boss's old 745il when the car worked (refused to start several times), and when AS worked (it failed on his wife mid intersection)

I drove a couple smaller bmw's with it, and I did not like it, if there was a way to disable it so my wife could use it and I could keep it fixed ratio, I would have considered it
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 07:04 AM   #24
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Is it worth it??? LOL

No!

80% the drive basic car...
10% turbos (yup 10% for those puppies...almost like having balls... sorry ladies... high heels ??? big boobs??? I dunno I am from mars... )
10% everything else... all the doo-dads...including AS

100% awesome!!!!!

I think it's like cheese... If you already appreciate it, you love it... but if you have never had it, and just sampled it for the first time, yuck...smelly cheese yuck...

BTW I am crazy about cheese

Anyone want to guess what my favourite cheese is? Click on picture to find out.

Maybe it is more like tofu... very subtle and maybe bland to some...it takes on the flavours of the dish yet once you are hooked on it... I order it every time I eat Chinese food... and I cook with it a lot!

Oh and Japanese tofu is like to die for, there is a restaurant in Japan that everything is soy...including the coffee!!!! I got to drive a 135i in Japan... Please, if you are there and have a 135i you are my new friend!!! Even the rental cars are fun to drive there!!!

So I think it is the 1 option that is overlooked the most. It cost a lot so people tend not to "try" it. And I don't blame you one bit. If it was an option forced on me, I would not complain after a few weeks.

I remember this for airbags, and abs... But how many people complain about it now? (I know you would, but let it go.... breath...breath...it's ok...that's better)

EspressoBoy

BTW if I were to complain about this car made for angels... it would be sometimes we like to be devils...so it would be really nice to turn things off...like everything and turn the car into a basic car...

I love having choice!!!!
      12-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #25
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
I've posted in prior threads that it is just is a parking aid at lower speeds too. Well I got to try it during the Susan G Komen drive on a 335i and a 5 series. The funny part was that I did not realize the car had active steering, till I had to come back and park the car in the dealer lot. While driving it spritedly, I did not notice the steering was any different from a standard rack like in my 135i. It was very taut and responsive. I did notice it was as easy to park that long 335i in a narrow parking space as it is easy to park my 97 JGC in a parking space. I thought for sure I had to turn-in, back up, correct, then pull forward like a normal longer wheelbase car.

I have to say, in daily driving it is a great option.
      12-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #26
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Just to add some more clarity... In the unlikely event the AS fails, the car will steer as a non-AS equipped car.

Again, refer to my detailed explanation of AS on page one of this thread... AS is not necessary, but well worth it only for those drivers that prefer the more responsive high-performance, speed-dependent, variable-ratio steering provided by the AS system. Others will prefer the standard steering, which is terrific... but designed with a slow ratio that does not vary, but is power-assisted... essentially like most typical cars, but the ratio in the 1-Series is a tad slow even by BMW standards.

There's no right or wrong here. Nor is one choice better than the other. It's about preference. Typically, the AS option isn't avaiable for an extensive test drive and the dealers don't inventory many. However, when a driver tests it extensively with serious spirited driving (hell with the irrelevent parking dynamics)... he is often willing to purchase the rather expensive AS option... that says a lot about the merits of AS as well.

TM
      12-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #27
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

It's really just a matter of preference. I have it and love it. Quite effortless to steer. I got a loaner one time that didn't have, I almost hit the curb leaving the dealer parking lot because it took that much steering rate off of what I was used to. I hear some people don't like it because it takes away from the feel of the car, but I completely disagree. If you do autocross then I think it's a must feature to have.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #28
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I would not want it for autocross, but that's just me, I don't like it on a small car, now a big 5 or 7 I would want it
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #29
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
I would not want it for autocross, but that's just me, I don't like it on a small car, now a big 5 or 7 I would want it
Interesting. I think that it is a lot of fun having high-performance steering on a small, agile car.
      12-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #30
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I thought the 135i could NOT have active steering?
      12-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #31
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adood84 View Post
I thought the 135i could NOT have active steering?
The 135i certainly can have AS. I think possibly the 128i can't have it starting in '09. I'd have to confirm this.
      12-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #32
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
The 135i certainly can have AS. I think possibly the 128i can't have it starting in '09. I'd have to confirm this.
My bad I was confusing the Electric steering with Active Steering, the 135i doesn't come with electric steering
      12-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #33
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
My bad I was confusing the Electric steering with Active Steering, the 135i doesn't come with electric steering
I thought the 135i comes with electric steering
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #34
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
I thought the 135i comes with electric steering
Mega, you are joking.
      12-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #35
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Mega, you are joking.
no, I'm not, it's electric power steering as far as I know, active steering is an extra option

I wish these had E30 M3 racks, but they dont
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #36
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Mega - it's hydraulic, we proved that at the Chicgo Auto show last Feb. Got the pix in here somewhere - if you check under the hood towards the front driver's side you'll see the PSF resovoir.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #37
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Mega - it's hydraulic, we proved that at the Chicgo Auto show last Feb. Got the pix in here somewhere - if you check under the hood towards the front driver's side you'll see the PSF resovoir.
Actually, Mega isn't alone in this misunderstanding... there are some publications out there indicating that it's electric. And the BMW website is deficient of enough clear information on steering specs.

Thank you for your post. As usual, informative and factual.

TM
      12-05-2008, 11:54 PM   #38
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Actually, Mega isn't alone in this misunderstanding... there are some publications out there indicating that it's electric. And the BMW website is deficient of enough clear information on steering specs.

Thank you for your post. As usual, informative and factual.

TM
Actually it clear if you read everything, this is taken from the BMW cataloug offered on the BMW.com website

A full Black square means it is a standard option, and Empty square means its an option , a dash means its not available for that model.

So no need to check under the bonnet , cause BMW says 135i cannot come with electric steering :smile:
      12-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #39
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually it clear if you read everything, this is taken from the BMW cataloug offered on the BMW.com website

A full Black square means it is a standard option, and Empty square means its an option , a dash means its not available for that model.

So no need to check under the bonnet , cause BMW says 135i cannot come with electric steering :smile:
You have confirmed what I've been saying all along... that the standard steering isn't electric, and it's also true that BMW's online specifications page for each model does not adequately show the steering specs. In addition, if you google the 135i's steering system, you will find numerous publications showing the steering as electric, which, as you know, is not correct.
Unfortunately, there are many folks, even owners, that don't understand their own steering system, or the option of Active Steering and how it really works.

Excellent work on posting the chart. :wink: It should be useful to anyone that needs a reality check.

TM