BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-11-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
lwongveros
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Talking my new 123d M coupé...

Amazing how quickly my car arrived, 3 weeks from order to delivery when usually the wait is 2 months!! Shows that the BMW factory (like all automakers nowadays) have little production due to the downturn in sales...

Anyways! Received the car last Friday night and immediately took a nice drive over the weekend to rack up about 1,500 km. Thought I would post a few pictures and leave a few impressions based on this first week...

First, the configuration: alpine white, M sports package, updated 18" wheels (style 261M), sunroof, Prof. Satnav (new iDrive)

- engine: not bad, some nice pull in the mid-range, smooth delivery through the rpms, first gear WAY too short. I'm hoping that over the next few thousand kms the engine "loosens up" and demonstrates more power. Consumption was not as good as I expected, I think I was averaging around 8 l./100km., then again, I was often averaging between 160-180km/h on the motorways and as I put on more mileage suspect this will also get better. I'm sure I'll be looking for a remap in the future to get more power from the car...

- looks: loving it, definitely a compact car especially since I've come from a 3 series, but I don't need any bigger, I especially like the muscular horizontal line that runs just below the window sill which gives it quite a bit of character. Of course, the wheels also make a big impact on the overall look :smile: Have noticed the car gets a lot of looks, fortunately the coupé is still not as common as other models.

- handling: haven't had a chance to push the car yet, but impressions are good, with a lot of road feel and very direct steering which I love. Firm ride but not jarring

- new iDrive/SatNav: working quite well, definitely an improvement over the old iDrive, also tested out connecting a 5th generation iPod through the USB connector (using standard Apple USB cable) which showed the collection on the iDrive screen, although I did hit a strange "bug" which I'll have to get the dealer to look into. Tried playing back a DVD and that worked well, looks and sounds good. I only took the standard sound system but it actually doesn't sound too bad. Dealer told me that the standard sound setup with the iDrive sounds better than the non-iDrive standard sound. I'm inclined to agree since I was not that impressed with the sound from my test drive in a new 3dr. 1er with no iDrive.

Other observations:

- I've always driven with my seat as low as possible (I'm 6'2" and like to ride low) and this worked well for me in the 3 series E90. Here I'm noticing that the window sills are higher because when I open the window to reach out I find it's not as comfortable, it's like I'm reaching "over" the sill!! I've even adjusted my driving position and still find this happens....

- the placement of the power window switches on the door rest are too far back (or forward depending on your perspective), in other words, I would have preferred that they were further towards the dash, I find it uncomfortable bending my arm back to use the switches. After my driving position change, it's better, but still not ideal, although I think there's not much room left for them to have moved this

Well that's all for now! Even though I'm sure it's been covered many times by others, if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to try and answer!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Hey congrats! You've got it. Looks exactly like mine... except for the colour of course. Agreed about the window switch placement although you get used to it. My biggest problem is the awkward cup holder. Even with the armrest up so I can actually use it, it is still very awkward to get a cup in and out.

Otherwise, it's a very nice cabin.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 04:33 AM   #3
lwongveros
Enlisted Member
Rep

123D-M, thanks and great to see you online! Are you referring to the cup holder in the centre console or the extra cup holder that comes as an option? I have the option and it really looks like an aftermarket add-on!! In fact, we put a half litre bottle of water in it and the spring clip snapped off! Fortunately it wasn't broken and I could fit it back in place, but my passenger complained that the cup holder interfered with her getting comfortable on her side (then again, she likes to have her knee almost touching the gear shift!).

Hope you get your 1er back fixed like new?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 04:37 AM   #4
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Yeah I'm referring to the centre console. I didn't take the optional one because I didn't like the look. Aesthetics are more important than functionality I've seen other people complain that the spring comes off the cupholder too.

I have my 1er back and it is going well although not perfectly. I think in time it will have to go back to the dealer as there is still something wrong with the clutch. But for now it is ok.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
shmee150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 123d SE Coupe

lovely

I am *hopefully* about to get some 261 alloys, would you be able to put some larger pics somewhere that I could take a look at? Pretty please! I want to have a better look at it, see that they are the alloys to choose.

Hope you're loving it!

Tim
      12-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
261M are the best alloys

Good pictures of mine here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=123d-m
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

how about your mpg?

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
lwongveros
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmee150 View Post
lovely

I am *hopefully* about to get some 261 alloys, would you be able to put some larger pics somewhere that I could take a look at? Pretty please! I want to have a better look at it, see that they are the alloys to choose.

Hope you're loving it!

Tim
Hey Tim, absolutely loving it, I'm aching for the weekend to arrive to enjoy some daytime driving time. Did you see the 261's from 123D-M's pictures? They come out very clear there. If you need any additional pics I can take them, unfortunately the alloys are a bit dirty right now. I have to buy some basic cleaning products to ensure I don't scratch the new baby!!

As 123D-M mentioned, these are nice wheels....
Appreciate 0