BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
MIAblu1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Monaco Blue 135i

Inside of headlight lens getting fogged

Anyone know if it's possible to take apart the headlight so that the inside of the lens can be cleaned and buffed? Want to try restoring the lens, don't think it's necessary to have to replace the headlamp simply over a fogged lens.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Are you sure it's the inside? The inside shouldn't be fogging up unless it's condensation from a bad cover re-install.
      04-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

The inside will only fog up if the seal is bad. Most likely, this means the cap on the back of the headlight is not installed correctly.

Open it up and use a hairdryer to evaporate the condensation inside the light. Seal it up properly so that you don't get problems with your adaptive or auto-leveling motors.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

The headlight units are not take-apart-able....one sealed unit.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
MIAblu1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
The inside will only fog up if the seal is bad. Most likely, this means the cap on the back of the headlight is not installed correctly.

Open it up and use a hairdryer to evaporate the condensation inside the light. Seal it up properly so that you don't get problems with your adaptive or auto-leveling motors.
That I get, but the lens inside looks dry stained. needs to be buffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
The headlight units are not take-apart-able....one sealed unit.
Most headlights are... except you can take the lens apart from the plastic housing normally by removing any screws if any, as well as heating up the glue and slowly prying the lens from the plastic housing from what I've found searching through the intrawebs. Wondering if anyone has done this first hand?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Folks have tried and failed to use all the traditional methods. A couple even ruined their headlight assys.

There is an option, look into having OSS retro your headlights and ask them to buff/clean them while they are at it.
      04-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
MIAblu1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Folks have tried and failed to use all the traditional methods. A couple even ruined their headlight assys.

There is an option, look into having OSS retro your headlights and ask them to buff/clean them while they are at it.
Yea thats what i was thinking, especially that I'm local, shot them an email yesterday but no response as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Are you sure it's the inside? The inside shouldn't be fogging up unless it's condensation from a bad cover re-install.
I'm sure it's a very rare ocation but my headlights actually had light condensation from the day I picked it up from the dealer with only 3 miles. I had not even touched the headlights to install new angel eyes yet. I think it just happened to be the conditions were just right. The temp outside was cool the air was moist the engine was hot and it formed right around the edges. I promptly went back to the dealer that day an pointed it out and had it documented an they said if I have any errors or probs come back an they'd take care of it. The condensation cleared up that night after it was parked and haven't had any sense. Even after removing and installing covers correctly.

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
MIAblu1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwbreed View Post
I'm sure it's a very rare ocation but my headlights actually had light condensation from the day I picked it up from the dealer with only 3 miles. I had not even touched the headlights to install new angel eyes yet. I think it just happened to be the conditions were just right. The temp outside was cool the air was moist the engine was hot and it formed right around the edges. I promptly went back to the dealer that day an pointed it out and had it documented an they said if I have any errors or probs come back an they'd take care of it. The condensation cleared up that night after it was parked and haven't had any sense. Even after removing and installing covers correctly.
Telling by the seam of where the lens and plastic housing meet, in compared to my other headlight that is still perfect, it looks like theres a slight gap but with sealant showing, as if the lens has either been removed before or that it's come apart slowly on its own for some reason and I'm sure would be the cause of the inside staining. I'm hoping i can get a hold of a heat gun and take the lens off and clean the inside back up and reinstall with new sealant.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAblu1 View Post
Telling by the seam of where the lens and plastic housing meet, in compared to my other headlight that is still perfect, it looks like theres a slight gap but with sealant showing, as if the lens has either been removed before or that it's come apart slowly on its own for some reason and I'm sure would be the cause of the inside staining. I'm hoping i can get a hold of a heat gun and take the lens off and clean the inside back up and reinstall with new sealant.
These headlights do not use that kind of sealant. It's a gasket-based system that is resistant to heat.

Please check out the threads about opening up the headlights- this is why people send them off to OSS rather than do it themselves. It's a huge pain with these headlights as opposed to other assemblies that you can open with heat.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

I'm pretty sure OSS designs cuts open the lenses, as heating doesn't work. That's what i recall reading in a topic where a member had their headlights done by OSS at least.
      04-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
AKopp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

I've had occasional fogging. It usually goes away. But have your car in a very dry environment for a while with the cover off and a hair dryer pointed in there for a good while. It'll clear it up. Install the cover properly and it shouldn't return.
2009 135i - SG/Coral - 19" Alufelgen SF-71 - ST Coilovers - Cobb Stage 2+ - AR Downpipes - Berk Sport Exhaust - Active Autowerke Charge Pipe - AMS FMIC - AFE DCI - LUX V3 Angel Eyes - LCI Blacklines - Active Autowerke Strut Tower Brace - BMW Performance CF Spoiler - Kerscher Carbon Splitter - Scopian CF Diffuser - MusicarNW Level 2
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
MIAblu1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
These headlights do not use that kind of sealant. It's a gasket-based system that is resistant to heat.

Please check out the threads about opening up the headlights- this is why people send them off to OSS rather than do it themselves. It's a huge pain with these headlights as opposed to other assemblies that you can open with heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
I'm pretty sure OSS designs cuts open the lenses, as heating doesn't work. That's what i recall reading in a topic where a member had their headlights done by OSS at least.
Really? damn, this is why i posted this, to make sure it's possible before buying the heat gun and materials to do it myself. Well I've yet to get a reply from OSS but I'll try again.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

OSS is actually right there in Miami, so you may be able to contact Luis and take the vehicle over to him for him to check out directly.

sales@ossdesigns.net is his email addy. He's usually pretty good about getting back to you.

He also has an OSS fb page with his direct contact number if you want to find it (don't want to hotlink it here, pretty easy to find).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAblu1 View Post
Really? damn, this is why i posted this, to make sure it's possible before buying the heat gun and materials to do it myself. Well I've yet to get a reply from OSS but I'll try again.

Just trying to make sure you don't ruin your $1200 headlights! Give em to OSS designs, he does amazing work. eventually i'll send my depo's to him to be rebuilt with better angel eye rings.