BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #2927
morningscifi
Null
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Sadly, I'm the same way, but I downloaded the manual from the BMW website and read that whole thing. Was something to keep me busy and occupied and such while I waited 3 months for my car to get here. That's the only way I knew I could even do the "satellite radio channel ____" voice command, which I thought was awesome and wanted to try. Nice to use voice commands to change channels too when far away so don't have to scroll down 50 things.

The other good/interesting one to do is to program your preset buttons. It's not VERY intuitive and it's weird that some it lets you do and some it won't. I struggled mightily to do the MESSAGES one as it just kept telling me you can't, but I eventually got it somehow. That way the car can pull up texts/e-mails you may hear go off on your phone while driving and have it read them to you. The other good one I set was the TPMS reset as I'm trying to be an anal/responsible owner and check and keep my tire pressures dead on every 4-6 weeks, so that one comes in handy, too.
I thought I read through it all as well. Clearly I missed the voice stuff though. I did know about the button commands however:

1-NPR, 2-Pandora, 3-Messages, 4-Nav day/night modes, 5-Nav traffic view, 6-Display on/off

While we're talking about the tech package and related stuff, Is there any way to check on what bmw services I currently have? Like the concierge type stuff? Or what all the options for that were as I remember there being a bunch of different things they wanted me to pay for and others I got for free. I'd like to know more about that but I have no idea who/where to ask (avoiding my dealer like crazy of course)
2013 135is | Le Mans Blue | #542 / 586
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #2928
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Photo as promised
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #2929
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
Photo as promised
Not bad looking. Um, I think you may have a leak. Ha!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #2930
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Not bad looking. Um, I think you may have a leak. Ha!
Haha! They just watered the plants around where I'm parked. No need to worry.

And yeah, the F10 is definitely a looker. I dig it a bit more after more driving but I'll be damned if I'd ever trade my 1er for one.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #2931
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
On more for good luck
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #2932
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
On more for good luck
Ooh, that front is nasty. They have seemingly screwed up every new car's front end so they look like crap unless you get whatever m-sport package/model to get rid of the biting its lower lip look all their cars seem to have now. Or maybe I'm just so used to seeing the M5 front that it's hard to the look at that in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #2933
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Ooh, that front is nasty. They have seemingly screwed up every new car's front end so they look like crap unless you get whatever m-sport package/model to get rid of the biting its lower lip look all their cars seem to have now. Or maybe I'm just so used to seeing the M5 front that it's hard to the look at that in comparison.
I actually have to disagree slightly here - I think the front end of the F10 here sidesteps a few things that I hate most about the new BMW line. Headlights NOT touching the grill - thumbs up. Flat front nose, less pointy - also a thumbs up from me.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #2934
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed, it's m-sport or fugly on all new models.
      04-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #2935
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Agreed, it's m-sport or fugly on all new models.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #2936
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
WHAT?! I absolutely love the sunroof. I think my favorite time to use it is on warm, clear nights (maybe then it's a moonroof).

You and me both, brother. If it were a car like a 1M, or an M3, then I'd go without it. But this car is a street car, and the sunroof is just too enjoyable not to have. I ordered a car without one before and regretted it. Turns out I'm not Ayrton Senna reincarnated on the street; therefore, the marginal shift in the center of gravity doesn't drastically change my boulevard lap times.
I guess I'm obviously in the minority with owen2001 and mb135is... Except for me the sunroof wasn't quite big enough so I got a convertible! I have had a sunroof in every BMW and MINI I've owned, and used them all constantly. I can't imagine having one in a car and never touching it. And pretty hair is highly overrated
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #2937
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Front Bumper Replacement

Just in case you were curious what these cars look like without a front bumper.

I curbed the front bumper badly enough to require replacement. The bumper is being replaced as we speak... I will pick up the repaired car tomorrow. The bumper attaches to a piece that was split in the front, but procured as part of the 'underhood shield', so a new assembly was installed. Here is the new bumper, as well as the old underhood shield: mad0259:
Attached Images

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #2938
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
Just in case you were curious what these cars look like without a front bumper.

I curbed the front bumper badly enough to require replacement. The bumper is being replaced as we speak... I will pick up the repaired car tomorrow. The bumper attaches to a piece that was split in the front, but procured as part of the 'underhood shield', so a new assembly was installed. Here is the new bumper, as well as the old underhood shield: mad0259:
Sorry to hear, but if it makes you feel better I'm probably going to get my rear resprayed in a month after it warms up more.

+1 love the sunroof and +1 on if it were a 1M I would option without but this is is NOT a 1M... It's a good compromise of a 135i and 1M if you ask me, extra sport without losing the comfort.
      04-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #2939
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
I guess I'm obviously in the minority with owen2001 and mb135is... Except for me the sunroof wasn't quite big enough so I got a convertible! I have had a sunroof in every BMW and MINI I've owned, and used them all constantly. I can't imagine having one in a car and never touching it. And pretty hair is highly overrated
I will just say that I am seemingly a cripple, am physically unable to drive a stick anymore, I've got every damn medical problem and condition in the book, and sparkling personality aside, all I really got going for me in my life is my perfect hair. That's all I got to hang my hat on. Ha!

But, going in knowing I'd never use the sunroof, the cheapo in me would just have rather put the money into something else. Would be like if heated rear seats were standard. I have no interest in that and would rather have it not be there since that price would be built in, and spend my money elsewhere.

I'll at least let everyone know I spent half my drive home today with the music off, windows down, really getting on the gas to hear the PE. Sadly, it was because I swear, it seems like it's been much quieter the last two days. Very odd. May just be losing my mind. Or the result of the bee.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 02:21 AM   #2940
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
I will just say that I am seemingly a cripple, am physically unable to drive a stick anymore, I've got every damn medical problem and condition in the book, and sparkling personality aside, all I really got going for me in my life is my perfect hair. That's all I got to hang my hat on. Ha!
I'll have to try some of the voice commands on my no-tech radio and see how many of those work, if any. I haven't really missed the HK radio as much as I thought, with the other PE music booming out of the back seat speakers.

And, I'm half expecting you to post a picture so that we can be the judges of this so-called perfect hair. I don't think I've ever known anyone with perfect hair -- so I'm wondering if I'm lacking the true appreciation here, being a convertible owner and all.

I'm just happy I still have hair, and it's not gray...yet!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #2941
morningscifi
Null
United_States
Rep

ewwwwww
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #2942
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Last night, I tried LC for the first time! I found this secluded road leading to a dead end. There were no homes, no cars, no cops, just me. With the car at operating temps, I pressed the sport button, went to "manual mode", DTC, and dumped both my feet on both pedals. The revs climbed up to 3500 and I let go of the brake pedal. It was 59 degrees F where I did it according to the car.

Wheelspin:
There was a larger amount of wheel spin than I expected. I'm not sure how long exactly but if I were to estimate, it's at least 1 second. Since it's a launch control designed by professionals, I expected little to no wheel spin. It almost feels like the car was squirming to the side as the tires spin. I don't think 3500rpm is the optimal setting for best times but what do I know? I'm not even a drag racer. Heck, I've never even seriously raced...even on the street. Nevertheless, the wheelspin was part of the fun for me.

Acceleration:
When the tires finally caught on, I heard a thumping sound and the car shot out! Lol the sun visor on my passenger seat managed to climb to the rear seats. I wish I had a camera when I did it because I didn't look down my gauges when I did it. I was scared that a coyote or some critter to jump out into the road. The car pulled REALLY hard compared to my ex-N51 car. I let the car shift for itself (shifts at around 7k) but I don't feel much pull @ the end (near 7k rpm). Either way, I don't think the 4.6 seconds I found on some online sites is realistic stock. With better, warm tires, I'm sure it can be pulled off. In a few moments, I'm doing 80+mph and it was not even that long of a straight.

Noise:
The PE sounds very deep when daily driven @ the low rpms and still sounds nice mid (3k-5k) rpm. When using LC, the depth is gone (obviously since launch rpm is more than 3k). It's loud and beastly. I wish I recorded that and used it as my ringtone. The DCT "farts" are beautiful too.

For some reason, the car feels "better" afterwards...I guess Italian tune ups do work after all. Well, a trial of an Italian tune up anyway lol.

P.S. I had a full tank of gas.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #2943
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
Last night, I tried LC for the first time! I found this secluded road leading to a dead end. There were no homes, no cars, no cops, just me. With the car at operating temps, I pressed the sport button, went to "manual mode", DTC, and dumped both my feet on both pedals. The revs climbed up to 3500 and I let go of the brake pedal. It was 59 degrees F where I did it according to the car.

Wheelspin:
There was a larger amount of wheel spin than I expected. I'm not sure how long exactly but if I were to estimate, it's at least 1 second. Since it's a launch control designed by professionals, I expected little to no wheel spin. It almost feels like the car was squirming to the side as the tires spin. I don't think 3500rpm is the optimal setting for best times but what do I know? I'm not even a drag racer. Heck, I've never even seriously raced...even on the street. Nevertheless, the wheelspin was part of the fun for me.

Acceleration:
When the tires finally caught on, I heard a thumping sound and the car shot out! Lol the sun visor on my passenger seat managed to climb to the rear seats. I wish I had a camera when I did it because I didn't look down my gauges when I did it. I was scared that a coyote or some critter to jump out into the road. The car pulled REALLY hard compared to my ex-N51 car. I let the car shift for itself (shifts at around 7k) but I don't feel much pull @ the end (near 7k rpm). Either way, I don't think the 4.6 seconds I found on some online sites is realistic stock. With better, warm tires, I'm sure it can be pulled off. In a few moments, I'm doing 80+mph and it was not even that long of a straight.

Noise:
The PE sounds very deep when daily driven @ the low rpms and still sounds nice mid (3k-5k) rpm. When using LC, the depth is gone (obviously since launch rpm is more than 3k). It's loud and beastly. I wish I recorded that and used it as my ringtone. The DCT "farts" are beautiful too.

For some reason, the car feels "better" afterwards...I guess Italian tune ups do work after all. Well, a trial of an Italian tune up anyway lol.

P.S. I had a full tank of gas.
Next time pick me up before you do it! Ha! I haven't done it yet, but have the perfect spot picked out on this small street right behind the Staples Center and Convention Center that I drive past on my way to work every day that ends with the on-ramp to the 110N. Now you have me itching to try it. You have the stock runflats though, right? Wonder how different it would be with my PSS. Hmmmmm...dare we launch control race? hahaha. How awesome would that be?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #2944
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Next time pick me up before you do it! Ha! I haven't done it yet, but have the perfect spot picked out on this small street right behind the Staples Center and Convention Center that I drive past on my way to work every day that ends with the on-ramp to the 110N. Now you have me itching to try it. You have the stock runflats though, right? Wonder how different it would be with my PSS. Hmmmmm...dare we launch control race? hahaha. How awesome would that be?
I did it by Griffith park @ Zoo Drive. I took 134E (from Burbank) exited @ Victory and took two right turns. I knew it was a dead end because my friend got lost there. I'm sure the PSS would be amazing. You should try it. BTW, you should try driving through Giffith Park. It's beautiful and fun. I don't even have to drive fast to have fun.

I think I should've done the "2nd LC" first if I wanted an optimal launch to warm tires up. (2nd LC = 1st gear manual, sport button, DSC off, floor it from stop.) I've already driven 10 miles prior so I think my tires would be warm enough? Either way, I was just there to try it out...not maximize.

If we end up doing LC race, I'll lose and do the usual thing people say "I couldn't get traction!"...I'll probably even go so far as to saying "I mis-shifted" On a serious note, sure but not anytime soon though. I'm extremely busy these days.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #2945
morningscifi
Null
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did it by Griffith park @ Zoo Drive. I took 134E (from Burbank) exited @ Victory and took two right turns. I knew it was a dead end because my friend got lost there. I'm sure the PSS would be amazing. You should try it. BTW, you should try driving through Giffith Park. It's beautiful and fun. I don't even have to drive fast to have fun.

I think I should've done the "2nd LC" first if I wanted an optimal launch to warm tires up. (2nd LC = 1st gear manual, sport button, DSC off, floor it from stop.) I've already driven 10 miles prior so I think my tires would be warm enough? Either way, I was just there to try it out...not maximize.

If we end up doing LC race, I'll lose and do the usual thing people say "I couldn't get traction!"...I'll probably even go so far as to saying "I mis-shifted" On a serious note, sure but not anytime soon though. I'm extremely busy these days.
I have a manual myself but I fully admit that I would love to feel the lc happen in one of these dct's for sure. Your tires were probably reaching normal operating temps by that time, I suspect not all the way there though. Do you still have the stock runflat bridgestones? summer tires I assume too? I'm surprised at the wheelspin. I would have expected that to be a minimum due to lost force. I guess the bmw physicists know their stuff though.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #2946
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Still no word on what's up with my car...SA says he's checking on it but literally nothing other than that. The paranoid thing in me says they are just keeping it to joyride. Or they crashed it and are trying a cover-up fix!

I'm sure it's probably fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #2947
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
I haven't used the LC yet... I didn't get around to it during the period between hitting 1200 miles and installing winter tires. I just had the front bumper replaced and I want to wait at least 30 days before applying sealant or wax. Until then, I'd prefer to not smash any giant bugs with my front bumper at 60mph+ speeds... so my wait continues!

Quote:
Still no word on what's up with my car...SA says he's checking on it but literally nothing other than that. The paranoid thing in me says they are just keeping it to joyride. Or they crashed it and are trying a cover-up fix!

I'm sure your car is fine, but the waiting and wondering is kinda agonizing. I just got my car back a couple of hours ago and everything was fine... no problems, no new scratches or blemishes on the interior or exterior... the car was in good hands. But while the car was in the shop I was thinking about all of the possible indignities my car could be suffering at the hands of people who just don't care.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #2948
morningscifi
Null
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra

I always look at my average mpg and mileage before and after. Both are usually a good indicator for mistreatment. Never had an issue with that. I hate hearing the stories about such things though.
Appreciate 0