BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
thavipr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

belt creaks? video attached

Installed JB4 last night and did some spirited driving on the way home. Everything went smoothly and the car was running well.

Today however I noticed a similar noise that appeared just before I had my oil filter housing and belt replaced. Creaks and sequels as the rpms frop down to idle after a pull.

the new belt has around 3k miles on it (old one was replaced b/c oil filter was leaking oil onto the belt). Could it be the belt again?

Looking for some other opinions. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:31 AM   #2
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

It's your PVC.

Trust me. I just had PTSD from when mine went out.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i MT LeMans

Exact same noise I'm getting under braking. 100% It's either your PVC, or rear main crank seal.
For me mine showed up exactly after I did the JB4 ISO update from the default firmware, more power probably broke something or made the pvc system show the problem ( I'm still able to reproduce with map0 but its more difficult) Your noise sounds identical to me though, for some people it shows up under braking, while idle, or in your case while reving and the revs drop.
There is TSB for it:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...3#post20396763

and also might help:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1139795

My car is actually at the dealer today to see if they can fix it, I did the smoke test but it didn't seem to ingest the smoke so I'm not sure, I'm skeptical its the main seal because another member (vespa) had that done and he still had the noise afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Yup.
My entire valve cover was replaced by my mechanic for $750.

Similar to my situation too. Happened only weeks after running JB4. Suspecting that the turbo was producing too much boost and the pressure popped it. Mechanic took the JB4 out all together and replaced the valve. Sent my JB4 back to BMS to have the firmware updates and get a replacement USB cable since mine was broken. Haven't reinstalled it yet. Planning on it in the near future, but planning on running it on a slightly higher than stock boost level from here on out.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavipr
Installed JB4 last night and did some spirited driving on the way home. Everything went smoothly and the car was running well.

Today however I noticed a similar noise that appeared just before I had my oil filter housing and belt replaced. Creaks and sequels as the rpms frop down to idle after a pull.

the new belt has around 3k miles on it (old one was replaced b/c oil filter was leaking oil onto the belt). Could it be the belt again?

Looking for some other opinions. Thanks!

Sounds like that may be a slipping belt. The tensioners on these engines sometimes fail. Belts should be done around 30-40,000 miles for optimal performance, if you're still running your factory belt try changing that first as it's the cheapest and easiest. Check the tensioners action and all pulleys to make sure they are moving freely. Also check your subframe for signs of belt contact, as under load the engine twists and sometimes contacts the subframe at the pulley. If this has happened your pulley will likely be damaged. BMW has a TSB on this.

If it is your PCV, on map 1, boost is limited to 13 PSI instead of 8 PSI and only once your engine is above 70 F. The increased boost will not necessarily have created a problem, but caused a failure to either show itself or fail sooner than it would have at 8 PSI.

GL

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #6
1mang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Could be your power steering pulley bracket being loose. This happens when bolts that hold the bracket get loose overtime due to heavy vibration/oil leaking down. I had one loose, one completely out and one snap off!

You mentioned oil filter housing gasket replacement. You should change out the oil cooler gaskets and oil line o-rings as well since that is an area of oil leaking.

Lastly, your alternator pulley should be checked as well if you are doing all of this. I had the exact same problem as this guy:

http://my1series.com/2015/03/23/n54-...e-belt-issues/
Appreciate 0