BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #45
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It all depends on what you want out of the experience. I prefer track driving over time trials. My focus is on improving my driving ability and pushing myself and my car to the next level. I will never get my car to 100% of her abilities, but I do constantly raise the bar for myself. Remember, it is about YOU, and what YOU want.
Great advice. Everyone has different expectations, all valid.

I do 4-5 track events a year. Some with Porsche club, some with BMW club, and some with the SCCA. They require different things: SCCA nothing, BMW to be a club member, Porsche to pay the club fee on top of event fee. The only common thing they require is a drivers license (the regular one) a car in good shape and a helmet!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #46
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

These are the moments you can look forward to enjoying at your track days. Got past him on the second lap of the third session of the day and held him off for the remaining 25 minutes. He actually lost a little ground each straight, but could make some of it back in the turns He was NOT happy, but eventually gave my a brief thumbs up back in the pits

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #47
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I say, definitely go for it! There is NOTHING in the world like a good track day. When I put on my helmet it is akin to stepping on a yoga mat. Well, even you guys out there get the idea.

I have tracked NHMS, Monticello, and Mont Tremblant in a 2007 328xi. I just bought a 2011 135i and cannot wait to get her on the track next Spring!

The skills learned on the track do transfer to real life, in driving situations and in all other aspects. The instructors are amazing and the tracking community contains some of the finest folks I have met.

As far as insurance goes, my insurance company has a clause that excludes any activity at the track, so I purchase supplemental insurance for the events. Previous responders have provided links to a company or two that provide this insurance.

My local chapter (Boston) requires advanced driving skills prior to allowing you on the track. I found the course very worthwhile.

You will have the time of your life, and you WILL get hooked! You will be now be a member of an elite society of trackers, and have the stories and experience to share with others, but be warned, if they aren't trackers, they will have no idea of the joy your are speaking.

Oh, the blue painter's tape is to cover your headlights or sensitive body parts to avoid marble damage.

If ever you see a 2011 135i tooling around with a MA plate = TRACKN, flag me down to say hi and we can swap tracking stories!
Welcome to the forum, you should go say hi in the New England zone, lots of 1ers there and very active in autox and hpde.

my next hpde is this saturday at NHMS - can't wait!
      10-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #48
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

AMAZING experience, loved it!! I was too excited to remember to take pictures, I only have a couple. Will post about the experience soon, kind of busy now.

Many thanks to "DriveHard" who helped me out with tools and setup and coached me through this experience I had a great time!

PS: can't wait to get rid of my runflats
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #49
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
You're hooked
      10-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #50
TheRedBaroness
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobm View Post
AMAZING experience, loved it!! I was too excited to remember to take pictures, I only have a couple. Will post about the experience soon, kind of busy now.

Many thanks to "DriveHard" who helped me out with tools and setup and coached me through this experience I had a great time!

Welcome to a very elite and happy group! Only if you are a member can you fully realize the pure joy that life has to offer! I know, kinda melodramatic, but you DO get it.

Trackers are amazing folks. I had a brake issue with my car (my 328xi) in Tremblant, my instructor (a radical driver with a trailer full of tools) changed my pads there trackside, after tracking down a set that was suitable for my vehicle. He gave me an additional track session that I would have lost, and piece of mind that it was safe to return home on winding country roads through Vermont. Kudos to the fellow tracker that gave me his spare pads (that I later replaced). I never felt like a 'helpless girl', everyone did everything they could to get me up and running, nobody turned a blind eye.

My hat is off to such a fine group of individuals. I am honored to be accepted and welcomed by all of you.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #51
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:

I TOLD YOU SO !!! now you are hooked...

and to the rest that may read this thread... Brunos first time on a track.. Not only does he have a blast, borrow a helmet, runs on his RFT's .but he beats me by .4 seconds and steals 2nd Place (out of 6) and get a trophy !!!!!!!! Thats 2 thumbs up in my book...

It was a blast, great day, weather was perfect brunos 135 didnt suffer from any "heat issues" and my 128 w/ 6AT was fine trans temp wise also (at a previous time trial at Lime Rock, my Torque converter would go into lock up in the last laps of the last sessions. I found simply spraying water on the trans cooler between sessions dropped the (external temp of cooler) 30 degrees. Also put water wetter in coolant for a 10 deg coolant temp drop there. It seemed to have helped ... like i said no issues after 44 very fast laps !!!

a few pics from the pits... Mine is # 920, brunos is # 30 and the Dan, my buddy, has the very fast Miata...

BTW this was at Pocono ( North Course) with EMRA...
Attached Images

Last edited by DriveHard; 11-15-2010 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #52
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

LauraC

Hi and welcome.. great post before about why one should go to the track BTW..

There is an EMRA event at Summit Point Nov 16th...... Intrested ??? maybe we can get a group going?? i think Bruno is hooked... i am inclined to go, my friend dan ( finances allowing will go in the Miata) and You ???

Anybody else want to go ???? chime in .

Happy racing !!
      10-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #53
TheRedBaroness
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
LauraC

Hi and welcome.. great post before about why one should go to the track BTW..

There is an EMRA event at Summit Point Nov 16th...... Intrested ??? maybe we can get a group going?? i think Bruno is hooked... i am inclined to go, my friend dan ( finances allowing will go in the Miata) and You ???

Anybody else want to go ???? chime in .

Happy racing !!
Hi DriveHard...thanks for the compliment. My 135i is so new to me that she is not broken in yet! I have decided that her track debut will be next Spring, that we will be spending the Winter bonding and keeping our relationship in private, exclusivity if you consider it that. My Spring plans are undetermined, and I might try EMRA vs. traditional tracking. Keep me posted on your activities, it would be an interesting change of pace from non-timed tracking.

There are a few pics in my garage of my old car at the track. Oh, the track…my favorite place to be!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #54
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

OK GUYS I NEED YOUR HELP:

I have a bunch of small little black marks on my hood from rubber/tire flying on the track

using a microfiber cloth, ONR was able to remove all of the smaller ones.

The two big ones I had (one on the hood and one on the roof), ONR got rid of some of the excess. Proceeded to try Goo Gone. Got rid of some more excess but not all of it. Tried ONR again, nothing.

I have these two black stains I can't get removed, I've already rubbed them more than I should've with my microfiber cloth

How do I get these off of my paint?!?!?!?!

My car is currently sitting outside on the rain to finish rinsing that goo gone crap.. Threw a whole bucket of water over it, cleaned with ONR, and it still looks greasy and ugly.

I'M SO FRUSTRATED I LOVE MY PAINT
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #55
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
OK GUYS I NEED YOUR HELP:

I have a bunch of small little black marks on my hood from rubber/tire flying on the track

using a microfiber cloth, ONR was able to remove all of the smaller ones.

The two big ones I had (one on the hood and one on the roof), ONR got rid of some of the excess. Proceeded to try Goo Gone. Got rid of some more excess but not all of it. Tried ONR again, nothing.

I have these two black stains I can't get removed, I've already rubbed them more than I should've with my microfiber cloth

How do I get these off of my paint?!?!?!?!

My car is currently sitting outside on the rain to finish rinsing that goo gone crap.. Threw a whole bucket of water over it, cleaned with ONR, and it still looks greasy and ugly.

I'M SO FRUSTRATED I LOVE MY PAINT
LOL.. relax.. actually i just got the rest of mine off today... dont worry. its like cone marks... i used wheel cleaner from work... but that may be too strong if not handled quickly.. try aftalene or afta, you can get it at cvs or auto parts store. just put it on a rag and let it soak in on the rubber. it will break it down and wipe away.. a little wax afterwards wont hurt ..

you could even try a clay bar if you have one.. it may work.

dry rubber is not caustic or anything, it wont eat into paint..

did you like the pics??? post yours..

see ya.
      10-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #56
S54dan
Rep

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
We need a track pic thread... someone start one
      10-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #57
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Alright here are my pictures. Some are out of focus and none are that good really haha. Like I said, I was very excited and took these in a hurry, pictures were the last thing on my mind !!

To summarize my experience, the 135i is simply AMAZING. The engine is amazingly smooth and has terrific torque especially coming out of curves. Love the noise the car makes even though a performance exhaust would make my day a lot better (working on that). I mean, I don't even know how else to say this, it's like the car was built for racing. Apart from the runflats I would not modding the car in any way is pure unnecessary greed.

My instructor drove the first two laps to show me around. He was *very* surprised at how civilized the car was driving around the pit, and as soon as he stepped on the gas getting on the track you should've seen his face, it was priceless . he had never driven a 35 before and was very impressed!

Now to the runflats.. No surprise here, but they are DEFINITELY, BY FAR the limiting factor out there on the track. It's very obvious that the car can do so much more, but with those tires it just doesn't grip to the floor. The main straight/bank was very very scary, for the first couple of laps I just kept my foot glued to the gas pedal as I went around the bank, but it seemed like the tires were just shy of losing grip and at 110mph it seemed like it was not worth the risk. For the next couple of laps I actually had to let go from the gas briefly halfway through the bank, which goes to show how much power that car actually delivers.

HOWEVER, I think it would be unfair to call these tires a complete piece of crap. Honestly, there's no way you'd even take them to the limit out on the streets. Yes, on the track it's not the hardest thing to do, but you know, for what they are they're not completely disappointing. Were enough to beat DriveHard's 128i on race tires . But you gotta give me some credit too come on hahaha

I'll get around to starting the track picture thread, check the photos forum soon

PS: look at the massive amount of tape on my bumper (yes it looks like crap because it was my first time doing it and i was in a hurry haha).. that should explain why I'm so desperate to get those rubber stains out of my hood and roof. I am completely paranoid with dirt and stains.
Attached Images

Last edited by N55_BBM; 11-05-2010 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #58
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
We need a track pic thread... someone start one
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...76#post8120376

Done
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #59
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Oh yes, one more image...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #60
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Aaaand the attachment to the previous post:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #61
S54dan
Rep

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
whoops I made one in the track thread.. I'll have the mods delete it and post in yours!
      10-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #62
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
whoops I made one in the track thread.. I'll have the mods delete it and post in yours!
it gets more visibility and posters in the photos and videos forum
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #63
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
LOL.. relax.. actually i just got the rest of mine off today... dont worry. its like cone marks... i used wheel cleaner from work... but that may be too strong if not handled quickly.. try aftalene or afta, you can get it at cvs or auto parts store. just put it on a rag and let it soak in on the rubber. it will break it down and wipe away.. a little wax afterwards wont hurt ..

you could even try a clay bar if you have one.. it may work.

dry rubber is not caustic or anything, it wont eat into paint..

did you like the pics??? post yours..

see ya.
btw what is afta/aftalene? i thought it was a shaving lotion haha...
Appreciate 0