BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

Which FMIC has the least pressure drop

I am new to the 1M and have been trying to do some HW on what mild upgrades to start with. One question i can't find data on is out of all the FMIC is which offers the least pressure drop?

I have tried searching so don't ask. Either I am searching something to direct or I need a more vague criteria.

Based on what I have found the Helix one only drops .5 PSI? However on a poll of which FMIC people like it is the VK motorworks cause of the price?

ETS has more streamlined ducting. If anyone has info or a link that would be great.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

The new Helix V2 is a good piece. HPF, AMS and CX are also good without factory couplers.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
I am new to the 1M and have been trying to do some HW on what mild upgrades to start with. One question i can't find data on is out of all the FMIC is which offers the least pressure drop?

I have tried searching so don't ask. Either I am searching something to direct or I need a more vague criteria.

Based on what I have found the Helix one only drops .5 PSI? However on a poll of which FMIC people like it is the VK motorworks cause of the price?

ETS has more streamlined ducting. If anyone has info or a link that would be great.
I think you're over-simplifying by focusing on that question. A simple straight through cross-pipe will have the lowest pressure drop. Unfortunately it won't do much in the way of intake air cooling...

Generally more pressure drop = better cooling, but low pressure drop = low boost, fast spooling, etc. Looking at pressure drop only gives half the picture, unfortunately.
      12-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
I think you're over-simplifying by focusing on that question. A simple straight through cross-pipe will have the lowest pressure drop. Unfortunately it won't do much in the way of intake air cooling...

Generally more pressure drop = better cooling, but low pressure drop = low boost, fast spooling, etc. Looking at pressure drop only gives half the picture, unfortunately.
A straight pipe would be nice if it could cool =)

I guess which one offers the best of both worlds. Based on what I was reading and how I will drive he car, AMS or ETS looks like the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
euro2fast4u
Private
Rep
Drives: signle turbo e30

average pressure drop for intercoolers is ~2psi, however like in this diagram (quick drawing)

you will see that most of the air will go through the middle of the intercooler or where its the easiest path. this causes this section to heat up and not work as efficient. I would choose a FMIC with over engineered end tanks that prevent this from happening.
      12-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
I remember a couple years ago the consensus was that Dinan/Spearco/Code3 had the least pressure drop. I don't know if that's still true since there are more intercoolers on the market now.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I remember a couple years ago the consensus was that Dinan/Spearco/Code3 had the least pressure drop. I don't know if that's still true since there are more intercoolers on the market now.
So I would guess those 3 still offer the same results? So far I am thinking the ETS one might be the best as it includes more streamlined plumbing.

Based on the image above of flow dynamics, wouldn't it be safe to say if you use a more streamlined in and exit air flow setup. Wouldn't that keep the same pressure?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
If anyone is interested in the old Spearco/Code3 FMIC, I am more than happy to post contact info to the manufacture for you to purchase one directly. We used to carry this FMIC until our contract with Code3 ran out, then Code3 went out of business and many other lower cost FMIC's came to the market.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

There is not a linear relationship between pressure drop and cooling. An intercooler with poor laminar flow across the core will not necessarily have better cooling: there are other factors such as charge row count, fin design, and fin density, which have a bearing on the capacity of the intercooler to cool. Our tanks are CAD designed for optimal flow, and we have bull-nosed bars inside the tanks, so we can minimize pressure drop while getting the best data-logged efficiency that I have seen.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

As others have said. Its a tough thing to figure out. Anyone whose taken a university Fluid Dynamics class can attest to it.

Pressure drop isnt the only variable, theres also, flow density, if the flow is laminar or turbulent, etc...

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
As others have said. Its a tough thing to figure out. Anyone whose taken a university Fluid Dynamics class can attest to it.

Pressure drop isnt the only variable, theres also, flow density, if the flow is laminar or turbulent, etc...
We have flow benched(Superflow bench) a bunch of FMIC's and found our custom made FMIC(internal fins for added cooling) we were running for Redline Time Attack was the most restrictive in terms of pressure drop even more so than the oem FMIC, but on the other hand it also provided the best cooling(more efficient) and made the most HP and TQ on the dyno. Lower pressure drop isn't always better.
Appreciate 0