BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2010, 05:27 AM   #23
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
I would love to upgrade to a D4. But I think I'll wait till the all new D5 comes, whenever that may be.....

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 05:44 AM   #24
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I think I pretty much rule out the Freelander right now since the more I read about it, the more I am worried about getting stuck somewhere.

I hate this all in price thing - now, it is worst than ever. You really have to do your homework when you buy a car now.

So, Prado vs D4. Every forum seems to be complaining about reliability issues - especially from newly picked up cars. BMW is not the most reliable, but LR seems to be worse even on the late models.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #25
MarkFC
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i Coupe MSport Auto

The other thing to research is the location of service facilities for LR, you can get your Toyota fixed pretty much anywhere in Australia, don't think you will have as much luck with the LR.
Don't be too concerned about getting stuck Sparoz, we all get stuck at some stage, as long as you learn from the experience and you are prepared for it also ie. having appropriate recovery gear for where you are travelling (eg. beach driving).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #26
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
The other option I have been looking at is a used Rangie Sport
You know you want it. Besides, how many other 4WD you know of can do this, and still take you home in luxury?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #27
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

i reckon i could do that in the 135i

it is a pretty impressive hill climb, the way the back of the tank is jacked up on the way down makes it look really steep.

Hey Sparoz you must really really want a 4wd to cop a loss on the 135i. i'd get a divorce before i'd swap my beast for a slug.

but if your minds made up i would definately look at second hand like Way said and keep the 135i. get a second hand 4wd from some soccer mom in the eastern suburbs that has never taken it off road, only gone to double bay high school and back, they are good as new, mostly, look for damage from reverse parking attempts however, actually second hand range rovers should be flooding the market as its so uncool for women to drive tanks now apparantly
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #28
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Really Beemer? I just got the Missus a X5M! Is she gonna come home telling me how uncool she looks and ask me to swap for a E63 or the new M5 which should be here by say end of the year? I can only wish...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #29
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

ah, yeah, i kinda put my foot in it there, i forgot you're getting an x5m, i was just repeating the crap i read in the paper about soccer moms in the US all driving jetta's and prius's now and at the detroit motor show there were virtually no suvs on show, that usually flows onto us.

but Way, i wouldn't worry, an x5m is in a different universe to the nissan patrols i see full of kids, when it gets to that level i don't think it matters, i think an x5m would be cool enough for anyone, how do you afford all these nice cars, did you buy shares in a coal mine ten years ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #30
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Got to keep the misses happy. She loves her 125. I wouldn't have considered selling the 135i if the M1 is not coming out.

A used rangie sport seems to be the pick now, just trying to find a bit more information as there are plenty of 2009 with low ks on them - probably never taken off road.

Still considering the Prado, as I think there are many 09 Kakadu laying about in the yards as no one is willing to part over 90k for a Toyota (but it does have EVERYTHING).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #31
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post

Hey Sparoz you must really really want a 4wd to cop a loss on the 135i. i'd get a divorce before i'd swap my beast for a slug.
I guess I love my wife more than I love the car, and a divorce would definitely cost more. Besides, we still got the 125i and I will make sure she won't say no to the M1 when it comes out. .
Appreciate 0