BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
sammy
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Is the Navigation Unit Worth It?

Hello 1Addicts,
I am a new member and this is my first post. I'm glad to have found this forum. I'm in the market for a new pair of wheels and the 128i is on my short list. I was building a 128 on BMW's website and was wondering what you all think about the Navigation Unit. Is it worth the $2K that BMW charges. My main reason for purchasing it would be for the the ability to navigate my iPod. For those of you who did not choose the Nav. unit, what were your reasons? Are you able to easily control your iPod through the stereo without it? Do you regret not getting it? And for those of you who have it, why did you choose to get it?
Thanks very much for all your feedback. I hope to learn a lot here.
Best!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Cooldaddygroove
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

It is excellent for managing the systems/settings in your car.
It is excellent for managing your ipod and your phone using bluetooth.
As a pure navigation system, I say it lacks compared to $500 TomTom or Garmin standalone. I have been using mine for a couple months now and can't say the menu selections are as intuitive as others I have used (and I've used a lot).

One example: When approaching your destination, it does not tell you if it is on yoru left or right (my MDX does).

Doing a search for a business (ie: Home Depot) is weak. You need to select a city/town first THEN the company name. And it does not seem to let you enter a partial company name like "Home" for Home Depot. I find these weaknesses, well......weak.

Another stupid feature (or lack of) is when you switch from the navigation map screen to something else (like iPOD) and then want to return to navigation, sure, its a simple press of a button but it does not default to the map view again. You have to fiddle with the iDrive and scroll/press a coupel more times. That pisses me off.

There are many threads here discussing BMW Nav, pros and cons.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

I believe the 2009 does announce what side the destination is on.

I would agree though, that the strength of the system is the integration of the multimedia features - USB, built-in hard drive, iPod, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
JKAWB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Black Sapphire

I just talk into my phone where i want to go and my GPS takes me there, i don't even have to type anything in. It works fine, i see $2000 as a huge waist of money that could go to better things like wheels or upgrade the 128 to a 135
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
deeb
boss.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAWB View Post
I just talk into my phone where i want to go and my GPS takes me there, i don't even have to type anything in. It works fine, i see $2000 as a huge waist of money that could go to better things like wheels or upgrade the 128 to a 135

Agreed.

I figured I'd rather put the 2k to upgrade the engine rather than gadgets inside. But that's just me.
      12-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
i wish i got a navi
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Is it worth it?

2008: no
2009: yes
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldaddygroove View Post
Another stupid feature (or lack of) is when you switch from the navigation map screen to something else (like iPOD) and then want to return to navigation, sure, its a simple press of a button but it does not default to the map view again. You have to fiddle with the iDrive and scroll/press a coupel more times. That pisses me off.
To get it to go to where you were (like with the maps, in your example), hold the iDrive knob to the rightfor more than a second, and it will go back to the map. This works for other funtions of iDrive as well.

To the OP, Welcome! One thing to note is that Cooldaddygroove and I are making our observations on the older version of iDrive. It's been greatly improved for 2009 cars, with a huge emphasis on navigation ease. So, your concerns on navigating you ipod are addressed, as well as easy buttons to get to main functions without having to go through a series of menus. The newer version of iDrive on the 1er also adds split screen, for displaying navigation information, as well as audio info. So, there's even less need to leave the navigation screen (and have to get back).

I loved my iDrive in my old e90, but my main two reasons for getting it were that I was doing European Delivery, and I bought it as a pre-emptive strike in not winding up in divorce court for needing my wife to read maps. Secondly, I think the 3er has a wide enough dashboard that the non-navigation equipped car had a slab-like dash that I did not want.

I did not opt for iDrive in my 135i because I was taking delivery locally, already have a few handheld nav units, and the dash looks okay without nav. I can say that if the newer version of the iDrive was available when I ordered, I would likely have gotten it - simply because of the new features, internal storage, ease of use, and split screen.

I would also agree that if you actually are weighing a 135i w/o iDrive versus a 128i with iDrive... go with the 135i. :biggrin: You may not want the 135i though.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
BMW_x5_Msport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5f15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
Is it worth it?

2008: no
2009: yes

yeah that!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

the 09 iDrive is definitely worth it - not just for a nav system, but as an integrated system for the car. functions for ipod, music saved on the harddrive, phone, nav, traffic info, construction info, google search, point of interest search, settings, check control, bmw assist, etc...
it's awesome.

best feature: you can send destination points and contact information to your car before you leave home or the office.

i do not, for one second, regret adding this $2,100 option.

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 11:49 PM   #11
Leilani
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Crimson Red 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
Is it worth the $2K that BMW charges. My main reason for purchasing it would be for the the ability to navigate my iPod.

And for those of you who have it, why did you choose to get it?
For me, it is worth the $2k because:

1) I plan on keeping my car long-term. The extra $2k is a small amount, relative to the number of years I will use it.

2) I prefer the integrated look of factory navs over any aftermarket system!

3) Integrated hands-free calling...again without the need for a Bluetooth speaker gadget clipped to the sun visor.

4) Having my iPhone connected via Bluetooth enables my iPhone's contact list to be on the nav screen.

5) Of the least importance to me in this list: future resale value. So many cars have nav nowadays and if and when the times comes that I'm looking to sell, I think having a nav will make a difference to some people.

I also like the location being up high on the dash vs. being down low like in my Mercedes ML350 and most other cars I've seen. I wasn't willing to sacrifice the options I really wanted in this car...and I'm glad I didn't!

2008 128i Convertible
Crimson Red - Black Top - Savannah Beige Boston Leather - Gray Poplar Trim
Step - Premium - Sport - Cold Weather - Navigation - Comfort Access - Xenon - iPod/USB
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 04:21 AM   #12
ONE
YearOneOfThe1
Rep
Drives:

In one word. yes.

Delivered: 08 “Year One -11- Of The 1” 08 - Debadged: 08 “Day One -11- Of The 1” 08
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 05:06 AM   #13
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
It is; try using an Ipod without it lol.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #14
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I use my i-phone without the navi and it's fine. I defnitely wasn't interested in the 08 option, but I would have look harder at the 09. Perhpas the real proof is that my sister gave me a Garmin for the car which sits in the glove box because I honestly have not had to go anywhere yet that I needed directions to.
For me, the infequency of use would have made it a waste of money.
      12-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #15
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: I ride the bus.

09 iDrive FTW!

I often get lost on my way to my own mailbox. Navi is a necessity for me.

6MT / ZPP / ZSP / Nav / Prem. Hi-Fi / Sirius / CA / Heated Seats (you keep the ski bag) / Park Dist. / HD Radio (because it was free)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:20 PM   #16
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

You get extra cup holder if no nav. Since I do not use cup holders, navigation is a must for me. A car looks like incomplete without naviagtion regardless 08 or 09.
      12-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #17
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
Hello 1Addicts,
I am a new member and this is my first post. I'm glad to have found this forum. I'm in the market for a new pair of wheels and the 128i is on my short list. I was building a 128 on BMW's website and was wondering what you all think about the Navigation Unit. Is it worth the $2K that BMW charges. My main reason for purchasing it would be for the the ability to navigate my iPod. For those of you who did not choose the Nav. unit, what were your reasons? Are you able to easily control your iPod through the stereo without it? Do you regret not getting it? And for those of you who have it, why did you choose to get it?
Thanks very much for all your feedback. I hope to learn a lot here.
Best!
It's a near-run thing, but I am planning on not getting the iDrive when I get my car. I like the fact that it looks neat and the new system seems to be a head-and-shoulders improvement over the old. With iDrive you get HD Radio included as well...plus you get a rather neat display with Park Distance Control that shows on which side of the car there is an obstacle when backing up. Really cool.

The downside for me is that I plan on keeping my car at least 6-7 years. Something tells me that in 5 years, whatever Nav technology is in the system will be sadly outdated by then. Plus, if the thing breaks out of warranty, it will no doubt be expensive indeed to repair/replace -- and such repairs will NOT be optional because so many of the car's systems are threaded through it.

Just my take on it -- if your time horizon for the car is shorter than mine (if you're leasing, for instance,) it might be worth going for it.

I've heard of many people here who use iPod integration without the Nav system. It sounds like the key to successful iPod usage in the BMW is to make sure your folders are set up a certain way -- I don't recall the specifics, but check out the Audio/Video subforum.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #18
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
A couple of reasons why I'm going with Nav:

1. I'm leasing, so when the $2100 is residualized over 24 months I believe it only upped my payment by maybe $30/month.
2. I have a Hard Drive in my Caddy now that I can rip music to. It is awesome. No more dragging CDs around, no more ripping CDs to the computer to down load on iPod, etc. It's truly a rolling juke box. I wanted this in the 1er. Frankly, if it didn't have the hard drive (08) I probably would've skipped it.
3. Nav isn't used everyday. However, the times that you do use it, need it, easily make up for the times it wasn't needed. Just MHO.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #19
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

With high quality nav units now costing $200 (US/Canada maps), how can you justify $2000 for the factory unit with the minor extras provided?

I bought a Garman for Euro delivery and it was well worth the $400 it cost at that time (including European maps). Now I only use it occasionally but it's wonderful to take with on travel to use in the rental car (try that with a factory unit) and when I know I'm going to be looking for something hard to find in town. So.. maybe once a month. I can think of better ways to spend $1800 on a car.
      12-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #20
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
With high quality nav units now costing $200 (US/Canada maps), how can you justify $2000 for the factory unit with the minor extras provided?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #21
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
He did, as did I...and all the arguments are weak IMHO. :iono:

A 10X multiplier on the price for a hard-drive...get a bigger iPod. Get a Garmin and take it with you when you walk around...or just use your phone. All-in-one is replacing bespoke individual pieces of technology, so a $2,000 US (it's $2,000 Canadian too...so that's about $1,600 US now) in-car system is highway robbery.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #22
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
He did, as did I...and all the arguments are weak IMHO. :iono:

A 10X multiplier on the price for a hard-drive...get a bigger iPod. Get a Garmin and take it with you when you walk around...or just use your phone. All-in-one is replacing bespoke individual pieces of technology, so a $2,000 US (it's $2,000 Canadian too...so that's about $1,600 US now) in-car system is highway robbery.
Ok, I'll say it again. IF YOU ARE LEASING, it's $28 more per month for a 24 or 36 month lease ($672/$1008 total). After paying $200 for a Garmin and $150 for an iPod, that leaves a savings of about $320 on my lease. For about the cost of a fill up per month, I'll have a beautiful navigation system with hard drive capability, vehicle info/settings, and much more. I don't want to put a Garmin on my windshield leaving ugly circles. I don't want to carry my iPod in and out of my car, to the gym, home again, etc. It's all there in one nice neat and cool package.

FWIW, if it was JUST navigation, I would probably agree with you.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0