BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #45
One_M
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black 07 120i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Tougher licence tests do nothing at all. As you'll find, people will just try and try until they succeed.

Tougher licence tests do NOTHING to educate and/or teach better driving skills. Most European countries demand skidpan driving lessons as part of the licence procedure. You'd be hard pressed to get 5% of drivers in Australia that would probably know what a skidpan is.
Well as nice as it would be I'd be suprised if such a program were ever to happen. We have one of the longest km of road per capita of any developed country, meaning every taxpayer's dollar put toward road development doesnt go far enough. We're struggling as is to have funds allocated to roads let alone an elective program to improve what 'might' not be a good enough licencing program.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #46
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_M View Post
Well as nice as it would be I'd be suprised if such a program were ever to happen. We have one of the longest km of road per capita of any developed country, meaning every taxpayer's dollar put toward road development doesnt go far enough. We're struggling as is to have funds allocated to roads let alone an elective program to improve what 'might' not be a good enough licencing program.
Exactly. You can't compare an optimum road strategy in Australia with countries that fit inside the same area as suburbs of Australia. And when you take into account the number of Aussie taxpayers to the sheer length of road required. It's a different ballgame.

I agree though that all fees and revenues related to motor vehicles and licencing should be mandated to flow to roads and driver training.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #47
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Exactly. You can't compare an optimum road strategy in Australia with countries that fit inside the same area as suburbs of Australia. And when you take into account the number of Aussie taxpayers to the sheer length of road required. It's a different ballgame.

I agree though that all fees and revenues related to motor vehicles and licencing should be mandated to flow to roads and driver training.
While I agree with you 1000%, if the idiots we have administering the money they collect, stopped pi$$ing it away on ill-conceived and poorly managed and adminstered programs, and handing it out to any boof-head that asks, I think we'd find there'd plenty of money for most things.

Cite the BER (Builders and Engineers Rort) that gave us $800,000 shade-cloth classroom. That's only about 400% of retail - what a bargain. Pink Batts anyone? Or a desal. plant or two - another screaming success.......tragically, the list just goes on.
Appreciate 0