BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
RXC135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Blue Water 135i Coupe

Compass mirror and Bluetooth retrofit? $$?

I plan to keep my 135i for quite a while so I plan to go with the leatherette and don't really need the extra function/weight/height of the power seats so the premium package is not very desirable for $3300. It is all the small stuff I like about the premium package like the compass/dimmer/opener rear view mirror and bluetooth and the ambient lighting.

My question is has anyone installed bluetooth and the upgraded rear view mirror to their BMW before? If so how difficult was it and the cost involved. From the information I have found by googling it looks like the Bluetooth retrofit is hit or miss for installation but that the mirror shouldn't be too bad. Personal experiences is what I am looking for as we have some really smart people in this group.

While I love ambient lighting I don't think that would be too easy to install...maybe I am wrong.

Then I would have my perfect car.....TiAG (or SGM or Blue Water Met), sports package, alum trim, black leatherette, convenience package, Ipod/USB adaptor, bluetooth, upgraded rearview, ambient lighting and NO assist, no leather, no power seats nothing I don't really want!

Thanks for listening:iono:
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
RXC135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Blue Water 135i Coupe

I know the consensus is that the factory option is the way to go but $750 is steep since I don't see myself using Assist. Maybe I am just missing the true benefits....but in my mind I feel that most of the cost of this package is the 4 years of Assist service subscription built in.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I dont plan on getting the Premium Pack either for reasons you mentioned already, but factory Bluetooth is one of those "must haves" for me. I say just get the BMW assist option for $750. The parts alone would be double that to attempt to add it later. Dont cheap out here, you know you want it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 03:09 AM   #4
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Nice if you lock your keys inside too.
      01-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
murdoc158
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXC135i View Post
I plan to keep my 135i for quite a while so I plan to go with the leatherette and don't really need the extra function/weight/height of the power seats so the premium package is not very desirable for $3300. It is all the small stuff I like about the premium package like the compass/dimmer/opener rear view mirror and bluetooth and the ambient lighting.

My question is has anyone installed bluetooth and the upgraded rear view mirror to their BMW before? If so how difficult was it and the cost involved. From the information I have found by googling it looks like the Bluetooth retrofit is hit or miss for installation but that the mirror shouldn't be too bad. Personal experiences is what I am looking for as we have some really smart people in this group.

While I love ambient lighting I don't think that would be too easy to install...maybe I am wrong.

Then I would have my perfect car.....TiAG (or SGM or Blue Water Met), sports package, alum trim, black leatherette, convenience package, Ipod/USB adaptor, bluetooth, upgraded rearview, ambient lighting and NO assist, no leather, no power seats nothing I don't really want!

Thanks for listening:iono:
I feel the exact same way. I refuse to pay $3300 for options I don't want on the car. I plan on getting the BMW Assist with Bluetooth for one option.

As for the auto-dimming mirrors, I would expect the mirror to cost around $300 (again, just a guess) if you order it from your parts department. If I remember correctly, BMW mirrors just need a twist and a soft pull and it pulls off the mounting point. The car should be pre-wired (saves money on BMW's end) so some fishing above the roof liner and you should be able to hook it up from there.

One thing that scares me though, I think the 1 series comes with automatic wipers. If there is a decent sized box coming off of the mirror and attached to the windshield, that's where the laser is housed. I would be very careful installing it at that point. It might be worth a trip to the dealer service department just for the piece of mind. I was comparing windshield replacement costs on my wifes Mini and the basic windshield was $700 or so. If you have the auto-wipers (which we do), the cost jumped to $3300 because of this sensor. Thank god for no-deductible comprehensive insurance. :smile:
      01-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

The mirror retrofit might be doable easily enough, as both mirrors have power to the blinking alarm indicator (a.k.a. clown nose). I can't imagine that there is a different wiring harness for cars with non-dimming mirrors.

I have retrofit an OEM dimming compass mirror on my wife's Audi, and found that the harness was there in the headliner, but the wires were terminated at a distribution block that led to nowhere, and I had to complete the circuit by tapping into some power in the footwell fuse box. I would expect something similar in the BMW too.

As for parts needed, check here. There no prices, but I bet from the factory, you are dealing with $300 or more, seeing both incorporate the rain sensor and auto-headlight sensors too.
Appreciate 0