BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
bluecarbon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i

Bilstein pss10 or pss9

Hi, I have searched a little and decided on this suspension I just had a few questions. I know that on a few vedor sites they offer the pss10 for the 135 but on the bilstein site it still only list our car for the pss9 does anyone know if the spring rates are different because they list the pss10 for the e92? And my random question does anyone happen to know the circumference of the sport button if you get the electronic dampening system. I have some mounting idea but don't want to spend the extra cash if it is not going to mount somewhere easily accessable and not gaudy looking?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 03:44 AM   #2
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550xi

Hi, for the 135, only PSS10 are available. PSS9 and PSS10 are basically the same except you get 10 different settings with PSS10 and 9 with PSS9.

You also have the PSS that are not adjustable, but honestly there's only one setup on the PSS10 that works fine with the springs, and it's the one you get with PSS... Same story with the electronic version.

At the end of the day, even if you have adjustable suspensions, springs remain the same, and there's only one setup for the dampers that goes really well with the springs. Then if you change the springs to go for stiffer ones, that's another story. And that's where the PSS come back in the game. Some mechanics know how to open them to modify the stiffness, and in this case you'r not even limited by 10 pre-defined settings, you can get what you want to perfectly match your needs.

Of course, that depends on what you plan to do with your car. But if you plan to do some track days, I would recommend to go for the PSS. Indeed, in the case you really want to be serious one day, the PSS10 will never be stiff enough and there's no possibility, to my knowledge, to modify them.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
      10-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Are they as good as KV1, 2 or 3?
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

PSS10 is just the newer version better adjustment knobs and 1 extra adjustment setting. I personally like them better than the KW.

also I disagree with NTTY. if you want a duel purpose car or just the Ability to fine tune the ride to your liking the PSS10 is the better choice. on the street lowering the shock stiffness gives you a much better ride and you can stiffen the shocks up for the track. also certain tracks with different surfaces and characteristics work better with different dampening settings( this is why almost all race shocks are adjustable) also Bilsteins PSS10s can be modified/revalved for different spring rates if you'd like to make your car a more serious track car.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Also disagree with NTTY - the shock controls the spring movement, and adjusting this has an obvious impact. PSS10 are a good compromise for street and track with easy damping adjustment. The only downside is the height adjustment on the front is worthless - since the max setting is already arguably too low! For a more track oriented setup that is still good on the street - go with KW clubsport. I was running PSS10, now I'm running clubsport - so I'm speaking from experience. My 135i is my daily driver, and I've tracked both suspensions. Clubsport takes it hands down!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
BMWeber
Major
Rep

whats the price difference between the PSS10 and club sport? how is the club sport on the street and did you have camber plates with your PSS10?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 02:51 AM   #7
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWeber View Post
whats the price difference between the PSS10 and club sport? how is the club sport on the street and did you have camber plates with your PSS10?
Prices depends where you buy from. I paid ~$100 less for the clubsports than the PSS10 with Vorshlag plates. In the end the clubsports are better in design (real usable height adjustment), flexibility of damping adjustment (though it takes more time to adjust), and on track performance - especially with the linear springs on the front. On the street the ride is perfectly acceptable. Even my wife didn't notice the difference on some long journey's across bumpy roads - in the end it depends on the damping settings. I was running 6 Front and 7 rear with the PSS10 on the street.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
BMWeber
Major
Rep

wow nice deal I got a sweet deal on the PSS10 and for me the club sports would have been over $1000 more
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
FON
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 Performance/MINI R53 GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_UK View Post
Also disagree with NTTY - the shock controls the spring movement, and adjusting this has an obvious impact. PSS10 are a good compromise for street and track with easy damping adjustment. The only downside is the height adjustment on the front is worthless - since the max setting is already arguably too low! For a more track oriented setup that is still good on the street - go with KW clubsport. I was running PSS10, now I'm running clubsport - so I'm speaking from experience. My 135i is my daily driver, and I've tracked both suspensions. Clubsport takes it hands down!
You found the max height in the front with the pss was to low? how much, can you tell?

Was it rubbing?

I'm planning also on getting the pss9 to my E81, but it is my daily driver also..

The clubsports you mention.. are the B14?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 02:10 AM   #10
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

^^^ Clubsports are from KW suspensions - not bilstein. AFAIK B14 are the same as PSS10 (B16) but without the damping adjustment.
The stock ride height measured from lower edge of rim to the middle of the front wheel arch is 592mm. After I installed my PSS10 with ride height set to max, the ride height had dropped to 562mm. That's a min 30mm drop. Any lower and you will probably rub (which make the height adjustment worthless). Also with different rims and tyres you will also have an increased chance of rubbing. Camber plates are a must.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
FON
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
^^^ Clubsports are from KW suspensions - not bilstein. AFAIK B14 are the same as PSS10 (B16) but without the damping adjustment.
The stock ride height measured from lower edge of rim to the middle of the front wheel arch is 592mm. After I installed my PSS10 with ride height set to max, the ride height had dropped to 562mm. That's a min 30mm drop. Any lower and you will probably rub (which make the height adjustment worthless). Also with different rims and tyres you will also have an increased chance of rubbing. Camber plates are a must.
Thanks for the info my friend!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Exact, PSS (B14) and PSS10 (B16) are the same except PSS10 has damping adjustment

I've lowered my car by -40mm front and -45mm rear (with the B14). No rub even with 4 people in the car. I tried the worst roads I know, no rub. I have the OEM wheels and tyre size. I will lower a bit more the front to match rear.

Cheers

Last edited by NTTY; 10-12-2009 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Also disagree with NTTY - the shock controls the spring movement, and adjusting this has an obvious impact.
It has an impact, indeed, but as I said previously, because springs remain the same, there is only one setup for damping that goes well with them. PSS10 only allows to modify bump and rebound at the same time. Going for softer of harder setups on the dampers is a kind of workaround solution, because none of them match the springs stiffness. Only real advantage is that you can adjust the damping in case you lighten the car for instance. Note that because of the different options we have on our cars, it might impact the final weight and again in this case, could be worth being able to adjust dampers.
Honestly, the only reason why I went for PSS instead of PSS10 is because I've been told it might not be possble to modify them to make them harder, while it is clearly possible with PSS (I did it once).

Cheers.
      10-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #14
FON
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTY View Post
Exact, PSS (B14) and PSS10 (B16) are the same except PSS10 has damping adjustment

I've lowered my car by -40mm front and -45mm rear (with the B14). No rub even with 4 people in the car. I tried the worst roads I know, no rub. I have the OEM wheels and tyre size. I will lower a bit more the front to match rear.

Cheers

Are you running on 18's?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTY View Post

Cheers
Interesting, every site I checked did not list PSS(B14) for our car. Where did you get your PSS. Thank you
Appreciate 0