BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2011, 04:17 AM   #1
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Paddle shift - Steptronic Upgrades?

Hey guys,

I've recently had a chance to drive around in a BMW with the steptronic which has the updated paddle shifters - i.e same as the ones on the DCT versions (left down right up). I'm just wondering is it possible to convert the older ones (the push in and out) to the updated ones?

I know theres a few E9X who updated with M3 paddles, would it be a similar conversion? But by substituting the M paddles to the DCT? Anyone know anything interms of wiring/coding?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Two ways of doing this:

First up, you can rewire your current paddles, so that pulling the left = down shift, pulling the right = upshift... conversely, pushing the left = upshift, pushing the right = downshift...

Second option is replace the steering wheel with a new wheel that supports M3 style paddles (which I love)... another forum member just picked up an M3 wheel with paddles for $750 landed... then you need to buy a harness for $200 for it to work.
You then reuse your existing steering wheel facia and airbag... install is relatively easy DIY and takes about an hour.

If you're interested in any of those I can start linking you places..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Rewiring is the cheapest option

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Alpha Trion
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

I am Sooooo keen on doing this rewire... But not myself! Anyone skilled enough want to help a brother out? Diagrams step by step?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Honny
Captain
Rep

I'll prefer to rewire aswell because it's cheaper. Also can the DCT paddles fit our steering wheel like some of the current steptronic cars, Or are we stuck with the huge ass paddles?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Trawling through the forums:

Method for rewiring
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699

Simplified
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=rewired

Airbag removal
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11825

Basically, there are 3 wires for each paddle. One for the 'pull' function, one for ground, and one for the 'push' function. The pull function on both sides is default wired for upshifts, vice versa for the push function.

On the left paddle, Pin 3 (push function) is plugged into the downshift connector, Pin 1 (pull function) is plugged into the upshift connnector. Easiest way would be to take out both pins and plug Pin 1 into the downshift connector (essentially swapping positions with Pin 3). Tape off pin 3 so now the push does nothing.

On the right paddle, Pin 1 (push function) is plugged into downshifts, Pin 3 (pull function) is plugged into upshifts. All you have to do is pull out Pin 1 and tape it. Pin 3 is already good for upshifts.

The only concern I have would be with airbag removal. You'll have to be extremely careful with that explosive device. If you're game though, not a bad mod and is completely free to do.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Following on from that Jeff I'd actually plug Pin 3 of the left paddle back in, that way I could still shift gears with the one paddle if I decided to say, hang my right arm out the window to keep my door closed.

Airbag removal is relatively straight forward once the battery is disconnected anyway.

Honny - not sure if DCT paddles will fit our steering wheel, I'm inclined to say no.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Following on from that Jeff I'd actually plug Pin 3 of the left paddle back in, that way I could still shift gears with the one paddle if I decided to say, hang my right arm out the window to keep my door closed.

Airbag removal is relatively straight forward once the battery is disconnected anyway.

Honny - not sure if DCT paddles will fit our steering wheel, I'm inclined to say no.
In that case you would be downshifting with a pull and upshifting with a push which is MASSIVELY un-intuitive. You use paddles during spirited driving so if you're doing that with one hand...good luck to you vs tree

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
B-Moose
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

I'm interested in doing this as well. I'd either swap around the wiring on the left side, or probably disconnect and tape off the left pin3 upshift (having Left paddle push upshifting would be getting confusing). Whenever I use the paddles currently I tend to only use my right hand anyway, so would probably leave the right side as is.

Later in that linked thread, someone posted you could do this without removing the airbag:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=32

Or is it just safer to get the airbag out of the way?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #10
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Just to quote:

Quote:
Just completed this mod tonight, very easy. I did it by removing the trim piece around the airbag rather than removing the airbag itself. You can also swap the wires around by removing the plastic connector from the steering wheel button module and inserting a precision screwdriver into the connector and pulling out the wires. I just pulled out the wires and swapped the outer ones on the left side (option #3). This took in total about 10 minutes and works like a charm. Much better!
Don't know how well that would work, that guy also has a single post on the forum. Better to leave the right paddle as is (like you said) and rewire the left side only.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #11
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
In that case you would be downshifting with a pull and upshifting with a push which is MASSIVELY un-intuitive. You use paddles during spirited driving so if you're doing that with one hand...good luck to you vs tree
lol true.. i guess i'd never be downshifting with left hand anyway...

in fact, I've barely used my paddles. not much point when the slushbox does such a good job in the first place.

I'll still look into rewiring it though
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #12
Honny
Captain
Rep

I'll find out if the new paddles fit our current wheel, they look so much better than those fat bulky silver ones... If they do I'll definately go ahead with this and keep you guys updated and If not I'll wait for the new performance wheel to come out and see from there.

I prefer to re-wire so where it works same as the newer paddle system. I just don't get the whole push and pull crap... The whole point is to make it where left is downshift and right is upshift by pulling the paddles.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 02:00 AM   #13
Hawkeye 135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I must be the only guy who likes the stock paddle set up. I've seen so many people say its counter-intuitive but pull for upshift, push for downshift makes perfect sense to me. I can't seem to get my head around the left and right paddles - I'm always shifting up instead of down and vice-versa - but I didn't have to think about using the stock paddles correctly from the first drive on.

And don't even get me started on the paddles which don't move with the wheel...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Look what I found

http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/1-Se...duct_info.html
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
They have this on the BMS site as well. Check out the print below though.

PLEASE READ: In addition to the harness, install guide, and tech support we provide you with the OEM BMW part numbers required to complete the retrofit. You will also need to separately purchase a paddle shift steering wheel, the paddle shifters, and a steering wheel control module. Retail on the required parts is around $700.00 USD new. Some complete wheels for as little as $180.00 on ebay.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #16
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

wouldn't our stock wheel be a paddle shift steering wheel with paddle shifter and steering wheel control module thus not needing any of this?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #17
B-Moose
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Just did this mod today- I opted to change only the Left side paddle shifter, so that pulling it now downshifts as it always should have. I taped up the Left push function wire so that does nothing now, and left the Right side stock. Works well, I have for years played video games with wheel/paddles and the push downshift thing never clicked for me.

The hardest part was getting the wires out of the small electrical harness connecter, you'll need an electronic precision screwdriver or similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #18
Honny
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiMou View Post
Just did this mod today- I opted to change only the Left side paddle shifter, so that pulling it now downshifts as it always should have. I taped up the Left push function wire so that does nothing now, and left the Right side stock. Works well, I have for years played video games with wheel/paddles and the push downshift thing never clicked for me.

The hardest part was getting the wires out of the small electrical harness connecter, you'll need an electronic precision screwdriver or similar.
Awesome work. I'll love to see some photos during the installation.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #19
B-Moose
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Sorry didn't take any photos. Overall difficulty wasn't huge, hardest part was getting the pins/wires out of the small connector. I had a laptop on the passenger seat and used these as a guide:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=paddle
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...47&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #20
mcmn
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY10 AW 135i

I did this today.

Lessons I learnt from doing it:

Disconnecting the Battery
  • Dont close the boot!
  • I pushed forward one of the back seats in the offchance i was stupid enough to close the boot.

Getting the airbag off
  • The DIY posts above reference using a T20 torx screwdriver to put through the self healing holes. I had better luck with a small flat blade,
  • The DIY references removing the clips at the back of the actual airbag. I found this too hard and didnt want to break them. So i actually removed the wheel side connector, and brown earth wire (T8 Torx + a little connector).

I decided to only mod the left paddle. My objective was to disable the push action, and the pull action to downshift, as apposed to upshift. Essentially I swapped the position of one pin, and left one pin exposed.

I didnt want to cut the wire, and didnt want to leave the pin exposed so i wrapped it in heatshrink plastic stuff I got from jaycar.

Pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #21
Honny
Captain
Rep

Man you guys make the DIY look so easy! I'll try to convince a few people to do it together with me incase i screw up.... haha!
Appreciate 0