BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Oil Change, Scratch and Hologram!!!

Okay - I thought I will let them do it once, that is washing the car after a service.

My advice is if you have a black car - don't do it!!!!!!!

Found some scratch marks today, and a hologram around it - looks like they've realised there's a little bit of a scratch (from?? what???) and they try to buff it out.

Now I have a nice hologram just above the rear wheel arch of the driver's side... looks like I will have to get all the gear to get that out!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i coupe

exactly the same thing happened to me.. annoying.
      08-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Okay - I thought I will let them do it once, that is washing the car after a service.

Found some scratch marks today, and a hologram around it - looks like they've realised there's a little bit of a scratch (from?? what???) and they try to buff it out.

Now I have a nice hologram just above the rear wheel arch of the driver's side... looks like I will have to get all the gear to get that out!
I never let them wash my cars. However on one occasion they had a new detailer in who didnt know my car and decided to wash it! Oh man I was so pissed off as they know I look after the paintwork on the X5. Well, surprise surprise there were fine scratches and swirl marks all over the car. The annoying thing was that I had only 2 weeks ago spent 8 hours doing a full detail on it. (This is on the black X5)

They offered to do a full detail on it and loan me a new 750i whilst it was being done. However, I asked what steps they go through and afraid to say was not up to my standard - this is the so called ''paint protection'' - a pile of sh*t to be honest.

So I declined and as I had calmed down by then (next day) I told them I would do it myself but on the next service I expected to pay for parts and not labour - they agreed.

However, I would rather it not happen in the first place as I painstakingly look after my cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

I make it a major point when checking in my Jet Black 1er. I was told they were about to this past service but the shop foreman when running after him to stop him from doing it.
      08-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
BTW did you ask for anything in order to ''fix the problem''
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Just a quick question re: black. Is the swirl problem more noticable on flat black or metallic black?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Just a quick question re: black. Is the swirl problem more noticable on flat black or metallic black?
I think it is worse on flat black.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Learnt that lesson years ago...Its never a FREE wash, as you spend more trying to rectify their f### ups..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I thought.. one wash couldn't be that bad.... aaarrrgggghhhhh

edit:
More scratches found - it's everywhere!!!!! !!!! !!! On the shadow trim as well...!!!!

Last edited by sparoz; 08-04-2009 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 01:38 AM   #10
whiteknight120
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 120d

Quote:

New dealership, Doncaster bmw in Epping (Melbourne) has an automatic machine which uses large rollers to wash customers cars after a service, all new cars being pre delivered are washed by hand, so even they recognise the possible damage a machine wash can do, therefore do not risk it on a new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 04:07 AM   #11
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Even hand washing will scratch if they don't use clean, good quality cloths. Once the cloth is dropped on the ground or if it was used on a muddy car before your's then it's going to scratch.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

While there is no excuse in sparoz case that they should wash it by hand and carefully. In Melbourne, there is a huge problem getting it done properly yourself.

Black is difficult to look after. Yes you have to be careful and even so it is not that easy. Buy some mild cut and polish product (like meguire scratch X 2.0). They work every well on black cars.

There is a big backlash from carwash places of using a bucket and a sponge.... and it is not allowed to wash it on the driveway.
      08-05-2009, 04:00 AM   #13
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
....In Melbourne, there is a huge problem getting it done properly yourself.....There is a big backlash from carwash places of using a bucket and a sponge.... and it is not allowed to wash it on the driveway.
Yes you are. Just not allowed to use tap water. It is a free for all with rain water. Add a basic filter onto a rain water tank and you have a perfectly good source of car washing water. A lot of high-pressure cleaners can draw water out of a tank if located close by. Otherwise a cheap sub-$200 pump from Bunnings will provide enough basic pressure for any high-pressure cleaner to operate perfectly.

And of course in summer you also have a small supply for keeping the garden alive.
      08-05-2009, 04:07 AM   #14
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
I think it is worse on flat black.
Jet Black is prone to swirls.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 04:34 AM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
While there is no excuse in sparoz case that they should wash it by hand and carefully. In Melbourne, there is a huge problem getting it done properly yourself.

Black is difficult to look after. Yes you have to be careful and even so it is not that easy. Buy some mild cut and polish product (like meguire scratch X 2.0). They work every well on black cars.

There is a big backlash from carwash places of using a bucket and a sponge.... and it is not allowed to wash it on the driveway.
Do you need an random orbital or elbow grease will do? I still haven't had time to have a good look, but it seems to me they've used a dirty cloth.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:29 AM   #16
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
Yes you are. Just not allowed to use tap water. It is a free for all with rain water. Add a basic filter onto a rain water tank and you have a perfectly good source of car washing water. A lot of high-pressure cleaners can draw water out of a tank if located close by. Otherwise a cheap sub-$200 pump from Bunnings will provide enough basic pressure for any high-pressure cleaner to operate perfectly.

And of course in summer you also have a small supply for keeping the garden alive.
The tank I have is also used to flush toilet. There is not enough to wash all the cars... may be just one and one in a while. Still I have to wash the car outside and many people walk by on the weekend. I don't want to explain all the time and I have a "using tank water" sign out.

I am using a trustee hand car wash place on Hoddle street @ Collingwood though.

Quote:
Do you need an random orbital or elbow grease will do? I still haven't had time to have a good look, but it seems to me they've used a dirty cloth.
Elbow can work on some but an orbital is the best.
      08-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #17
oneill3
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

I took my car to the dealer the other day to look at a rattle in the door. I specifically asked them not to wash my car but they did it anyway
      08-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #18
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

It seems like they have to do that on purpose to piss everyone off!
Appreciate 0