BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Mudguards

I know most Bimmeratti dislike the idea of putting mudguards on their cars. However, I LOVE mudguards on my cars. I had them on my 325i and my A4. The guards keep my cars MUCH cleaner, and keeps nasty brake dust, road oils, paint, and crud off the lower body work.

Whew! That said in defense, has anyone installed a set on their 1?
Where did you buy them?
Did you get the BMW guards or a different aftermarket brand.

I think I'll go with the BMW guards. I installed those on my 325i and the install was straight forward. Yes, I had to drill a couple of holes, but not into metal just plastic. They worked beautifully.

I also like the look they give. I really wish that BMW would offer body colored guards like Nissan does. It gives the lower rear wheel well a "wide" look. It's functional, but to me it's also stylish.

Yeah, I know most won't agree, but there it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I had BMW mud guards on my 135. They look good on the car (my personal opinion) and does protect the car from rock chips.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

I put them on my last car cause they looked hot. I would like to see a pic of them on, especially on a lowered 135.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I've had them on all my Bimmers. Most people don't even notice I have them.
The OEM are cheap and are molded to fit tight. Once on and in place, I think they look just fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
LemansE82
Formally known as xXxMLEExXx.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans E82

I wonder if these will work. I had them for my Evo and they are great.
I know our cars are not rally cars, but it's more function then fashion for me.
The guards sits inside the wheel well and extends outwards about an inch or so.
Not touching your fenders at all.

http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/univ...ogo-p-268.html

I hate the factory ones due to it sits over the paint. In time there be discoloration and crap on the paint. I know..i had it for my Civic too.
Unless you're going to take it off everytime you wash or wax the car, which is a pita.

Here's a pic of what i'm talking about.

Last edited by LemansE82; 05-15-2009 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxMLEExXx View Post
I wonder if these will work. I had them for my Evo and they are great.
I know our cars are not rally cars, but it's more function then fashion for me.
The guards sits inside the wheel well and extends outwards about an inch or so.
Not touching your fenders at all.

http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/univ...ogo-p-268.html

I hate the factory ones due to it sits over the paint. In time there be discoloration and crap on the paint. I know..i had it for my Civic too.
Unless you're going to take it off everytime you wash or wax the car, which is a pita.

Here's a pic of what i'm talking about.

I don't like those. I can see that they are very functional though.
I like the "molded" guards better. It gives them a designed look that makes them appear part of the car rather than something sticking to it, like ones in your pic.
I do wish they made the molded guards a bit wider, like the width in your pic.

If you don't like the idea that the guard will affect the paint then you can put a line of felt or foam where the guard edge will meet the bumper.
That will keep any damage from the flexing of the guard and the bumper against each other.

I wash my cars only by hand and/or hand spray wash. The nice thing about the pressure washers is that you can really get the water in the area where the guard meets the bumper.

Also, I don't look at the guard as something the covers the bumper. I look at it like it's not a permanent part of the car. It's like the rear lip spoiler in practice. It sits over another body part, but it's permanent, so I really care about what's under it, as long as it doesn't rust. And since the guard sits on plastic bumper material, it's no problem about rust.
Appreciate 0