BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

Koni FSD

Have a 128i M-Sport on stock springs but have M3 control arms, aftermarket sway bars, M3 rear subframe bushings, 135i performance wheels tires (18" wheels). Seems a little soft under power and a little more up/down suspension motion than I think I want.

Has anyone tried Koni FSDs with OE springs? What kind of ride change did you get? I'm thinking it is a bit soft now due to being built for run-flat rubber, but with normal tires, it isn't 'optimized'.

thanks for thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You should talk to @Harold HP Autosport

I think the FSD are too close to a stock shock... I would go with Koni Yellows or Bilsteins. I remember a few guys that went with FSD only a year later down the road to go with Koni's or Bilsteins. Some guys just bite the bullet and go coil over route.

I would also buy the Dinan rear upper shock mount kit. They include everything you need to replace those pounded out rear shock mounts. You will probably also need new front shock strut bearings too. Have you thought of camber plates? Suspension work is quite a rabbit hole to go down!

Dackel

PS: You should read this thread...

***The ultimate handing machine: 128i ?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575027

Appreciate 2
      10-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I had FSDs for awhile on an '08 135i. E93 M3 front sway bar was the only other suspension mod. They aren't bad - if, big if - you want to improve ride quality a bit. TireRack got good results in testing. They firm up over large sine wave disturbances, but high frequency bumps result in a suppler feel. They work well on a street car that also needs to be reasonably agile.

If you have any intentions of tracking or autocrossing the car, Bilstein B8s or Koni Yellows and your choice of springs. Believe there may be a sticky in this section with spring rate info available.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I had Koni yellows on an E46 M3. Got a good bit of advice on preliminary set up (especially rears as they have to be fully removed to adjust). They were OK, and I played around with the easy to adjust fronts a bit.

Thanks for the info on shock mounts. My car is a 2013 with less than 28k miles at this time, so while I think it would be a good idea to replace the front mounts and rear mounts 'while I'm in there', I don't think I have the need to do camber adjustment kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

I think the FSD are too close to a stock shock... I would go with Koni Yellows or Bilsteins. I remember a few guys that went with FSD only a year later down the road to go with Koni's or Bilsteins. Some guys just bite the bullet and go coil over route.

I would also buy the Dinan rear upper shock mount kit. They include everything you need to replace those pounded out rear shock mounts. You will probably also need new front shock strut bearings too. Have you thought of camber plates? Suspension work is quite a rabbit hole to go down!

Dackel

Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      10-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
chris@strutmonkey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

FSDs are great for daily commuter who wants more peformance than stock on curvy roads. For those who want a significant handling improvement, I would recommend B8s. If you are not sure, get Koni Sports and set them to what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMSport View Post
Have a 128i M-Sport on stock springs but have M3 control arms, aftermarket sway bars, M3 rear subframe bushings, 135i performance wheels tires (18" wheels). Seems a little soft under power and a little more up/down suspension motion than I think I want.

Has anyone tried Koni FSDs with OE springs? What kind of ride change did you get? I'm thinking it is a bit soft now due to being built for run-flat rubber, but with normal tires, it isn't 'optimized'.

thanks for thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 06:42 PM   #6
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I'm on FSD/Eibach pro springs ... but for the E9x, in my E82.

With no front sway, I loved the ride quality. The downside was the front sways, and I don't think that's the correct word to use but is easiest to understand.
Personally I think I need more spring up front and I plan on going with Swift next year.

The front went down about 1.5" and the rear didn't move a bit, but is stiffer.

I'm quite happy with the ride. I wish the rear would have lowered.
I got the E9x kit because from what I'd found the shocks are built for heavier springs vs the stock replacement versions.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@strutmonkey View Post
FSDs are great for daily commuter who wants more peformance than stock on curvy roads. For those who want a significant handling improvement, I would recommend B8s. If you are not sure, get Koni Sports and set them to what you want.

I understand the idea of being able to adjust the Koni Sports. Can the rears be adjusted without complete removal, though? It's a bit difficult to have to take it out, compress the unit, then adjust it. Not an issue with the front struts on the E46 M3 (although the tool/knob that came with the fronts was not the correct tool!).

I'm not really looking at a coilover set up, nor do I want to lower the car. It's a DD in MA, so there will be days that a lower stance will simply mean more snowplowing with the front air dam. I intend to stay on the stock M-Sport/sport package springs at this time.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Dackel

Agreed.

FSD is for OEM replacement. For an upgrade, Yellows are the way to go. You can't beat the adjustability either.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      10-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
I think I'd go along with the opinion that the FSD's aren't going to be much of an improvement and Yellows or Bilsteins are probably a better answer. I was not interested in adjustability and went with Bilstein B6's. Seems to be endless debate on B6 vs B8 and calling Bilstein will get you different answers depending who you talk to. I was told, stock to 25mm.(1 inch) drop use B6, over 25mm. drop go with B8. Since Sport suspension drops 10-15mm.(I forget which) I went B6 and they work perfectly. Many others have used the B8's without apparent issue, so the choice may not be critical.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      10-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you for your thoughts! I'll probably do something other than FSDs when the time comes. Pretty costly for a 'similar to OE' replacement part.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      10-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMSport View Post
Thank you for your thoughts! I'll probably do something other than FSDs when the time comes. Pretty costly for a 'similar to OE' replacement part.
You might want to book mark this website's page...

Bilstein B12 pro kit for $686
https://www.ajusa.com/bilstein-b12-p...-kit-46-180537
Appreciate 0