Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > What brand wheels have you bent?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330xi

What brand wheels have you bent?

I'm thinking about getting new wheels, but I want to know which have failed (bent or other problems). Does more $ mean a stronger wheel?

State the make and size, and how the failure happened.
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
Yaajer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ActiveHybrid 3, X5

Big pot hole = bent wheel.

I think if you take care while driving to miss potholes, you should be all right with most wheels.
      03-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

I've heard that OZ rims are tough. Apparently the Superturisimo GT's are indestructable.

I have a set of Velocity Motoring Hartge Classic reps. They have been fantastic. I think they are very solid/strong.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compos Mentis
I'm thinking about getting new wheels, but I want to know which have failed (bent or other problems). Does more $ mean a stronger wheel?

State the make and size, and how the failure happened.
"Does more $ mean a stronger wheel?" this is a common misconception. another common misconception is that all replica wheels are poor quality or bend easily.

ssr's, not that cheap, though light, tend to bend easily for example.

in my own experience, i had a set of replica e39 m5 wheels in 17". zero problems and no bends what so ever. not all replicas are the same, so it's best to ask around and see who has bought what and where, and what their experiences are.

my second set of wheels were 18" hamann hm2's. they're made by oz racing for hamann. oz's are strong! these things took a beating, and held up great. out of my 4 years of owning those wheels, i got one slight bend, only because i was on a mountain drive, and hit a real deep, big crack, hard! other than that, though a bit on the heavy side (my estimate is about ~24 lbs.), they were fantastic wheels to own. 13mm offset with a lotta lip.

then i'll tell the story of my friends acs type II racing, 18". these wheels were made by ronal for acs. acs contracts their wheels out to both ronal and oz. these are expensive wheels. not light. and the biggest piece of craps i've ever seen. the rear wheels bent numerous of times. then what next? cracks. cracks inside of the rim. i couldn't believe it. repaired and cracked, 4 times each. so much for ronal crap. however, i think most people don't have problems with acs wheels in general.

last bit of advice, look at your local road conditions. do what's reasonable. and be careful when you see pot holes and etc.
      03-02-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
EVO_S4
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW  [8.24]
i use to own
1 set Axis=bent
3 set of Volk=none of them bent
      03-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
17" BBS RX (cast) Bent
17" Volks (forged)

These are the only rims that I purchased new. The rest, I cannot say for sure.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
dkizerian
Digital Ruler
Rep
Drives: 325i AW/Terra

i have bent steel wheels (but it was a BIG pothole)
one factory ford alloy (really big pothole going 70)
some superspecial custom 3 peice wheel on my racecar(another driver decided to jump it off a curb... )
Appreciate 0