BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #23
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
I would guess because of heat soak. The dual cones offer more surface area but still sucks in engine heat.
Precisely. The design might show some minor gains on a dyno because typically cars are dyno'ed with their hoods open and a big blower in front of them. While driving, however, the design is useless, because the hood being shut contains the engine heat inside the engine bay and guess where it gets sucked into?

I find it interesting how people don't hesitate to put a part like this on their cars without using any common sense as to what the repercussions could be.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #24
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Precisely. The design might show some minor gains on a dyno because typically cars are dyno'ed with their hoods open and a big blower in front of them. While driving, however, the design is useless, because the hood being shut contains the engine heat inside the engine bay and guess where it gets sucked into?

I find it interesting how people don't hesitate to put a part like this on their cars without using any common sense as to what the repercussions could be.
DCIs have been shown to have faster 1/4 mile times and acceleration on Vbox's and reduced waste-gate duty cycle shown with BT logging tool.

The design is not useless. If everyone would then there would be many more useful threads.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #25
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
DCIs have been shown to have faster 1/4 mile times and acceleration on Vbox's and reduced waste-gate duty cycle shown with BT logging tool.

The design is not useless. If everyone would then there would be many more useful threads.
please provide me with back to back track runs with and without DCI, same track, same car, same driver, same day and data logs, that show any advantages in performance.

I don't believe everything that everyone tells me just because they are trying to sell a product. I was taught to think by employing knowledge and common sense. Two words for you when it comes to DCI: HEAT SOAK.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #26
kazin
Private
Rep
Drives: a

disclaimer: not bias in anyway, just curious as to what the truth is.

quick google search brought up this:

http://n54tech.com/forums/archive/in...p?t-13750.html

i'm curious to see if there is any evidence that is contrary to these results other than one's "knowledge and common sense". (no offense)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #27
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
please provide me with back to back track runs with and without DCI, same track, same car, same driver, same day and data logs, that show any advantages in performance.

I don't believe everything that everyone tells me just because they are trying to sell a product. I was taught to think by employing knowledge and common sense. Two words for you when it comes to DCI: HEAT SOAK.
Ok dude, you're right, I just make shit up to throw off fellow enthusiasts. LOOK AT Mr. 5's testing perhaps?

Maybe any of the N54 record holders?

Maybe my personal experience, and the fact that I have a load-based dynamometer at my disposal?

Have you even logged your car before?

Show me data that the DCI doesn't perform better than the stock box. Especially once you run higher boost pressures.......
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #28
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ok dude, you're right, I just make shit up to throw off fellow enthusiasts. LOOK AT Mr. 5's testing perhaps?

Maybe any of the N54 record holders?

Maybe my personal experience, and the fact that I have a load-based dynamometer at my disposal?

Have you even logged your car before?

Show me data that the DCI doesn't perform better than the stock box. Especially once you run higher boost pressures.......
Again, a bunch of blah blah blah, but no evidence. I say it doesn't work, prove me wrong with true valid comparison data, as I requested. Higher boost? lol please, this will yield more power regardless of whether you're running DCI or a stock intake.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 11:11 AM   #29
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Again, a bunch of blah blah blah, but no evidence. I say it doesn't work, prove me wrong with true valid comparison data, as I requested. Higher boost? lol please, this will yield more power regardless of whether you're running DCI or a stock intake.
Stud -

Fundahl is right.

The difference in temperature of the air coming through the filter is relatively insignificant relative too the amount of heat contributed by the turbos.

Colder air is, of course, better but not if it means that the turbos have to work harder to suck it in (and, in doing so, produce even more heat).

The AFE stuff is pretty, but the filters are small and I'd be especially concerned about the restricted flow from the enclosed version.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 11:53 AM   #30
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Stud -

Fundahl is right.

The difference in temperature of the air coming through the filter is relatively insignificant relative too the amount of heat contributed by the turbos.

Colder air is, of course, better but not if it means that the turbos have to work harder to suck it in (and, in doing so, produce even more heat).

The AFE stuff is pretty, but the filters are small and I'd be especially concerned about the restricted flow from the enclosed version.

Neil
Now we have a valid argument on the table, thank you. What you explained makes sense, however (and no offense to anyone), I would truly like to see back to back testing results all other factors being equal. Even cross-comparing multiple products to OEM would be good.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #31
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

Quote:
Now we have a valid argument on the table, thank you. What you explained makes sense, however (and no offense to anyone), I would truly like to see back to back testing results all other factors being equal. Even cross-comparing multiple products to OEM would be good.
On issue is who has the time or funds for that test. BMW did a lot of R&D to make the intake flow as good as it does. (Granted with in the restrictions of sound and emissions.)

Has anyone tried taking a stock lid and clearing out all the baffles? I know someone tried making a new lid and it did not work.

Only other idea is get the dual cone AFE intake system and make a custom inclosed housing. That would give you the larger surface area and a closed system from heat soaking.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #32
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The argument was valid from the beginning. You just don't want to look stupid.

These tests have already been done.............

Can you read? I said ESPECIALLY at higher boost levels, because most of us don't stay with stock software.

Obviously I'm not talking about gains from having a higher dynamic compression from a turbocharger.

I'm not going to copy/paste a bunch of data for your lazy ass that I have already read AND tested.

It's cool, you can make less power be slower than me, I won't feel bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #33
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

And how exactly are you going to heat-soak a filter element under WOT?

If anything you should log your car and watch your puny stock intercooler "heat soak" at stock boost levels......
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #34
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The argument was valid from the beginning. You just don't want to look stupid.

These tests have already been done.............

Can you read? I said ESPECIALLY at higher boost levels, because most of us don't stay with stock software.

Obviously I'm not talking about gains from having a higher dynamic compression from a turbocharger.

I'm not going to copy/paste a bunch of data for your lazy ass that I have already read AND tested.

It's cool, you can make less power be slower than me, I won't feel bad.
dude, unless you have something to back up your opinion, stfu.

The information I requested which you obviously don't have is not available.

You have a lot to learn, just parroting what you hear/read doesn't make you knowledgeable, you idiot.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #35
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And how exactly are you going to heat-soak a filter element under WOT?

If anything you should log your car and watch your puny stock intercooler "heat soak" at stock boost levels......
I've wasted too much of my precious time addressing you...which feels pretty much like corresponding with a kid. I have nothing else to say to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #36
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...intake+testing

As you can see, (if you can read and think), the Mr. 5 intake is the ideal solution. Helix has a solution that fits the 1M.

The stock airbox scenario only gets worse and worse as you run higher and higher boost pressures.

I don't know about you guys but I enjoy running making more power and hearing more induction sounds....
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #37
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dude, unless you have something to back up your opinion, stfu.

The information I requested which you obviously don't have is not available.

You have a lot to learn, just parroting what you hear/read doesn't make you knowledgeable, you idiot.
You retard, like I'm going to quit posting because you use a "shut the fuck up" acronym.

I just posted some info dumbass.

You are the kid, who has no idea how to make his car faster.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #38
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've wasted too much of my precious time addressing you...which feels pretty much like corresponding with a kid. I have nothing else to say to you.
And I'll be sure to get some personal testing just for you on my 1M and our Mustang Dynamometer once I get a new charge-pipe. (Stock one blew up, gone through 2 now.)

Might even produce even more of a difference considering it is load-based vs a Dynojet.

Maybe you should log your car for once? Do you know how to do that or is that too hard for you?

Oh RIGHT, you have to live your life based off of other people's data and opinions and don't need to measure it yourself.....
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #39
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You retard, like I'm going to quit posting because you use a "shut the fuck up" acronym.

I just posted some info dumbass.

You are the kid, who has no idea how to make his car faster.

Good luck.
I don't know who told you I was trying to make my car faster?

I knew there was a certain level of stupidity on these forums, but I didn't know it was this bad. You take the cake!

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #40
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
And I'll be sure to get some personal testing just for you on my 1M and our Mustang Dynamometer once I get a new charge-pipe. (Stock one blew up, gone through 2 now.)

Might even produce even more of a difference considering it is load-based vs a Dynojet.

Maybe you should log your car for once? Do you know how to do that or is that too hard for you?

Oh RIGHT, you have to live your life based off of other people's data and opinions and don't need to measure it yourself.....
I see you're making great process

Please enlighten us with your data!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #41
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Lol dude, it's pretty obvious you have nothing to contribute and have no idea what to say so you use some lame ass image from the internet and try to insult me.

I DID have any idea there were people as stupid as you on this forum, and I am not surprised.

I bet you didn't even look at the data, you hypocrite.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #42
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Lol dude, it's pretty obvious you have nothing to contribute and have no idea what to say so you use some lame ass image from the internet and try to insult me.

I DID have any idea there were people as stupid as you on this forum, and I am not surprised.

I bet you didn't even look at the data, you hypocrite.
I'm still waiting for you to contribute something useful along the lines of what I requested, not what I have already read.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #43
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see you're making great process

Please enlighten us with your data!
Well, if you actually could drive your car hard and had a passion for making more power you probably would have discovered how weak the OEM charge-pipe is yourself.

I've already tried to help you, and you don't seem to learn. Looks to me like signs of retardation.....
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #44
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well, if you actually could drive your car hard and had a passion for making more power you probably would have discovered how weak the OEM charge-pipe is yourself.

I've already tried to help you, and you don't seem to learn. Looks to me like signs of retardation.....
5 posts later and still nothing useful lol ... I'm done corresponding with you.
Appreciate 0