BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
esuyengh
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport LeMans Blue

Caliper Paint Color Matching Question

Hi all, did a quick search and did not come up with an answer, so sorry if it has been posted.

I'm upgrading to the BMW Performance Brake Kits on my e82 128i because my rotors all rusted and got pitted, so I figured why not step up at the same time. On the Kit for the 128i, the rear calipers are the steel single-piston calipers, albeit with a slightly larger piston. I'm planning on painting the calipers, plus the edges of the new rotors, to try and reduce rusting and pitting.

I might just go grey or silver for protection and simplicity, but if I opted to match the rears to the front 6-piston calipers, I know I need Phoenix Yellow 445. Looking around it costs $100+ for a caliper paint kit of that color, which to me seems overkill for just the rear calipers. Plus, I've already overspent on a 3-stage intake manifold and Performance Exhaust.

Has anyone compared Phoenix Yellow 445 to the stock yellows or golds from other brands like Dupli-Color and VHT? Which color might come closest to 445? I figure the rear calipers don't show too much, so as long as the color is close, from afar it will look decent. FYI my 128i is M-sport in LeMans Blue, so the yellow will definitely pop.

I do not have the Performance Calipers in hand yet, so I'm guessing based off web pics. It seems like they look more gold than bright yellow. Would VHT Gold SP736 come closer?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
Mernardi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

I used an aerosol can from:

https://www.expresspaint.com/automot...ic-20p2812.htm

I track my car regularly each season. The paint has held up great. The rears have not gotten hot enough to cause any issues. It's not a 100% match, but its pretty dang close.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #3
esuyengh
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport LeMans Blue

Thanks for the lead; that's perfect! Did you use the straight aerosol or did you up for the rim paint, that they claim protects against brake dust? Is it worth bothering to clear coat with a high temp spray in your opinion? Sounds like you didn't have to.

Your brakes (and 135i) look great; the minimal difference in color in the pic could just be lighting, for all anyone knows, and the savings over the G2 are significant.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Mernardi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Just did the aerosol. Sanded the calipers a bit to make sure the paint would adhere, then taped everything off and sprayed. I believe I did 4 coats of paint total (1 light, 3 heavy).

Even with PFC08 brake pads, the rears do not get very dirty. Did not clear coat as I wanted to see how the paint held up to heat. This picture is from July of last year. They still look the same minus a few rock chips. My car is in the shop right now, I'll post up a current pic when available.
Appreciate 0