BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Maeiourk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

Engine Malfunction: Reduced Power

Engine is N55. The warning lit up while I was driving 40 mph. I googled it and found out that it's probably the fuel pump. Now the question is, I have an aftermarket charge pipe, I don't know if I should put the OEM charge pipe before going to the dealer to keep it under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

When it doubt take the mod off, a chargepipe+factory DVs isn't that tough of a DIY. And I wouldn't assume the limp mode is a HPFP, there are any number of things that could cause it...do you have a way to pull the codes?

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

I'd leave it on...but that's me as the charge pipe does nothing to add power or change anything.
      12-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Maeiourk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats
When it doubt take the mod off, a chargepipe+factory DVs isn't that tough of a DIY. And I wouldn't assume the limp mode is a HPFP, there are any number of things that could cause it...do you have a way to pull the codes?
I'll take it off to be sure. My appointment is not until Thursday. No way to pull out codes.

Wait! I'm replying while I'm typing this. It went away when I did over 60mph. Weird. It went on when I was at 40mph. Car doesn't want me to go slower? Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeiourk View Post
I'll take it off to be sure. My appointment is not until Thursday. No way to pull out codes.

Wait! I'm replying while I'm typing this. It went away when I did over 60mph. Weird. It went on when I was at 40mph. Car doesn't want me to go slower? Lol
Turn the car off and let it sit, then fire it back up and drive around. Perhaps you just had a misfire and the car threw a limp mode...It happened to me once about a month ago, and hasn't returned since. Our cars are extremely sensitive to misfires, sometimes for whatever reason the stars align and the car gets cranky for a few seconds, it can happen on an otherwise happy engine. If something is obviously off, don't push the car, but it could just be a 1 time thing.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Could be a valvetronic fault. Refuse a software fix for a hardware fault, if offered.
      12-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Maeiourk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeiourk View Post

Turn the car off and let it sit, then fire it back up and drive around. Perhaps you just had a misfire and the car threw a limp mode...It happened to me once about a month ago, and hasn't returned since. Our cars are extremely sensitive to misfires, sometimes for whatever reason the stars align and the car gets cranky for a few seconds, it can happen on an otherwise happy engine. If something is obviously off, don't push the car, but it could just be a 1 time thing.
Yea, it was probably a misfire. The warning never came back. Hopefully it won't. Thank you for the help!

And thanks to everyone as well!
Appreciate 0