BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Electronic Malfunction, Anyone else?

Stopped by South Bay BMW in Torrance, CA for what I imagined was a simple battery issue and happened to run into 2 other 1Ms! Right as I pulled in a BSM was parked right in front of the dealership, and a VO pulled up right behind mine. Interesting coincidence. Nice meeting you btw.

Any how, I just received my car on the 10th. Two or three days later the key fob completely stopped working. (Comfort access key)
It wouldn't lock, unlock, trunk, windows, alarm, the "touch" unlock, and the fob had to be inserted into the car to turn on.
The odd part was that sometimes it WOULD work, and all would be fine, but perhaps an hour later the issues returned.
In the past 2 weeks other than the two/three days after delivery, the key fob randomly worked approximately 5 unlocks before it died once again.
After being fed up with constantly having to pull out the actual key to lock and unlock the door, I took it in for service.
Like myself, the service rep, believed it to be a simple dead battery in the fobs, but turned out there is some electronic malfunction.
The car was dropped off at 10:30am and was not able to be fixed all day, so apparently this is some sort of issue.
The car will have to stay for the weekend and most likely longer because for some reason they cannot contact BMW HQ until Tuesday. haha
I've never missed a car, but there is a first for everything

Anyone else have this issue? If so what was the problem and how was it solved. Would love to figure this out (get my baby back) asap.

PS- My car began production in October and delivered on 12/10/11 (not sure which one is relevant) and the computer stated that there is already a new Navigation Map Update available.

L1MTD

Last edited by DooBs; 12-23-2011 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I just know you need to put the key in the dash regularly to let it charge. If you do not do this it gets empty quite fast. So I just always put the key in the dash.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
I just know you need to put the key in the dash regularly to let it charge. If you do not do this it gets empty quite fast. So I just always put the key in the dash.

^^Not for CA (Comfort Acsess) cars. The CA key fob does not charge while in the "slot", it has a battery that must be replaced from time to time.

Non CA cars have a rechargeable battery built into the fob - so both fobs must be used from time to time to recharge them.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^Not for CA (Comfort Acsess) cars. The CA key fob does not charge while in the "slot", it has a battery that must be replaced from time to time.

Non CA cars have a rechargeable battery built into the fob - so both fobs must be used from time to time to recharge them.

Dack
Not an expert on this but I remember my sales guy telling me that the CA fob will charge and needs to be inserted at times. After about 3 years of use the low battery indicator came on and I inserted the fob for a few hours and the warning was gone. Weeks later it returned this time I "charged" it for longer and the warning hasnt returned.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Not an expert on this but I remember my sales guy telling me that the CA fob will charge and needs to be inserted at times. After about 3 years of use the low battery indicator came on and I inserted the fob for a few hours and the warning was gone. Weeks later it returned this time I "charged" it for longer and the warning hasnt returned.
This is has been the case for as long as I know. Why would there be a difference between a CA key and non CA key?
      12-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep

Dackelone is correct. I was also told that Comfort Access Keys do not charge when plugged into the car, and that normal keys do from my service rep. Will update when I hear more... bah humbug.

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooBs View Post
Dackelone is correct. I was also told that Comfort Access Keys do not charge when plugged into the car, and that normal keys do from my service rep. Will update when I hear more... bah humbug.
+1

CA key fobs are not rechargeable on all BMW models.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooBs View Post

CA key fobs are not rechargeable on all BMW models.
this is strange, as I have comfort access and at one point the doors didn't open anymore. After putting the key in the dash it works again.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
I was told this as well. Is this not the case for the 1M? Dackel, can you find out and confirm please? Because I have not inserted the fob in the slot since I purchased the car lol
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
I was told this as well. Is this not the case for the 1M? Dackel, can you find out and confirm please? Because I have not inserted the fob in the slot since I purchased the car lol
I am prety sure for CA cars the key fob does NOT get charged when inserted into the "slot". Maybe BMW has changed something for '11 or '12's. But they have not updated their online manuals stating that CA gets charged in the slot. So I think all CA key fobs - over time will need a new battery.

I did a quick search (on 1addicts) and found this old FAQ on key fobs and CA... (it is worth a read!)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...s+Key+fob+work

Here are some related points for this thread...

C2. Do I have Comfort Access?

The most visually obvious signs that you have Comfort Access is the door handle. The door handle has a number of small ridges on the top of the handle, directly above the key hole, this is a touch sensor for locking the car. Another small feature is the key fob has a removable cover on the back of it, which is used to replace the key fob battery. Otherwise there are no significant visual cues that you have Comfort Access.

From a behavioural perspective, the most obvious feature is that when the car is locked, if you have the key fob on or about your person, the door will unlock when you grab the handle.

C8. How does the battery in my key fob work?

Unlike the standard lock system, the Comfort Access key fob includes a removable battery, which must be replaced on occasion. The battery is a button CR-2032 battery which can be purchased at many retail stores, and can be replaced by the owner, but is also covered under the warranty. The car will provide a battery icon with a slash through it on the alert area of the dashboard when the battery is getting low, however, the battery can be replaced earlier if the range of the keyboard appears to be reducing.

L3. How does the battery in my key fob work?

The battery in the standard key fob is rechargeable, and is charged when inserted in to the socket on the dash board. If you only use one of your key fobs most of the time, BMW recommends that you install the spare fob in the dash occasionally to recharge it (for instance once every 6 months). If the battery runs out the buttons will not unlock the door, but inserting the fob into the dashboard will begin the device recharging and allow the car to start.

L8. Why is my key fob not working to unlock/lock my car?

The most likely scenario for the fob not working would be the battery running flat. The battery is rechargeable, and charges while plugged into the socket on the dashboard. If you have a spare key fob that doesn’t get used in the car often, it may run flat. BMW recommends you plug spare key fobs into the dash occasionally to recharge.

Another common problem is the use of Tinting on the rear window. As the antenna cable for the fob is embedded in wire traces in the rear window, the key fob range can be dramatically reduced when Tint is applied. Anecdotally, metal based tints are far more prone to this problem than ceramic tints.

Finally the key is programmed to match the car, any issues with a fob failing or changing fobs, will require direct involvement of your dealer.

Here is a video from BMW NA on the key fobs. I did not find any videos on CA though.

1 Series: Locking and Unlocking owners manual video...

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/OwnersManualVideos.aspx?namodelcode=1122&videoguid =6b219e0d-b262-

More BMW NA owners manuals videos can be found here... http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
this is strange, as I have comfort access and at one point the doors didn't open anymore. After putting the key in the dash it works again.
All key fobs store data and the synch occurs only when the fob is inserted into the dash. Not sure if the synch cleared your issue, but it sounds like it did. As previously stated the CA key fob battery is not rechargeable and it doesn't appear you have a battery problem.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
All key fobs store data and the synch occurs only when the fob is inserted into the dash. Not sure if the synch cleared your issue, but it sounds like it did. As previously stated the CA key fob battery is not rechargeable and it doesn't appear you have a battery problem.
I never inserted my fob in my 08 135 and they always seemed to be able to get data from my key.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
I never inserted my fob in my 08 135 and they always seemed to be able to get data from my key.

In the past there was some speculation that on CA equipped cars... the car's data somehow gets transfered(to the CA key) even though the CA key fob is not inserted into the key fob slot on the dash. Some has said that it works like a blue-tooth or dongle/WLAN would.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
Depends on what data you're talking about. For data that is constantly changing such as mileage, the fob has to be inserted to have the most up to date information. That's how it works on my '07 550i with CA and that's what I personally witnessed on my SA's computer.

What are the details on your experience?

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #15
Papethova
Banned
Rep

My SA knew I wasnt wearing my seatbelt off the FOB and it wasnt inserted into the dash
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
My SA knew I wasnt wearing my seatbelt off the FOB and it wasnt inserted into the dash
That's a little big brother retarded for me. I wear my seatbelt all the time, but usually after I hear the ding. I'd be a little irritated if a SA mentioned this to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Not clue how the system works but... If I would design it I would just send the key identification to the car. The rest of the data is stored in the car and be attached to the matching key ID. Just how I would do it...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #18
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
That's a little big brother retarded for me. I wear my seatbelt all the time, but usually after I hear the ding. I'd be a little irritated if a SA mentioned this to me.
I had unbuckled as I was turning into the driveway to drop off for service. I was pretty shocked, very big brother retarded.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #19
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just got the car back today! So happy to glad to have it back. First thing I notice was (obviously my left leg doing some work), the sound and those seat bolsters. Glad to have it back. Now let me tell you what went wrong.

Apparently something called distributor module was faulty. According to the service rep, this is some sort of chip or antenna that receives, and amplifies the Comfort Access key signals. I received a call approximately 9:30 AM that they figured out what it was and that they were waiting for the part to come in and by 4:30 PM the car was ready for pick up.

So if this happens to happen to anyone with Comfort Access and its not a battery issue... search distributor module in here haha

L1MTD

Appreciate 0