BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #23
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2008 Z4

Thanks Sfaticus, your perspective along with everyone's has been a big help. I maybe reading between the lines and only seeing what I want to see in everyone's comments. But what I am hearing is I would probably be very happy with a 1-Series as a commuter from the space, comfort, ride and relative sportiness. I guess what I need to decide is what my threshold for maintenance cost is... I just had a conversation with my independent and even after stroking him an $1100 check for a brake job and 40k mile transmission service on my wife's Mercedes GLK he told me that the BMW's with turbo six's are pricey. This has given me some pause, but I still love the car. If he says this after I handed him that check, then I may have to raise my threshold for service cost.

I want to do some more research, and find time to drive a few 135's to get a better idea of what I am willing to accept. As it stands now, I'm facing about $2,500 of work soon on my SLK (brakes, suspension, tires, plugs) at 100k miles. A 135i would replace it, but on the other hand for the same money I could keep the SLK, hold off on service and buy a 2 year old VW GTI. Not the same caliber of car, but my wife likes the "practicality" of them and I could keep my roadster.

Decisions, decisions.... here's to some test driving over the coming months.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #24
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
I have a phobia of turbos so 128i was my choice. I have not done much commuting in my e88 but the e46 I did drive the poop out of it. I suspect if your familiar with your MB service and maintenance the e88 won't be that different maybe even advantage BMW, just a guess. the e46 cost $1400 annual budget now 1 major difference between my e46 and e88 is I could drop off the e46 to the indy shop and all issues would seemed to get diagnosed and fixed. e88 issues have been a mystery until its done breaking and "throws a code".

BMW and most manufactures have software issues on newer cars that on the surface seems alright but in the long run I worry about it. 10yrs ago sure a computer would go out now and then but considered it reliable part of the car. Today the feeling I get is some things software fixes and some things it it fixes and interrupts 3 other functions you now have to return and have diagnosed. I call it sometimes it's a touchdown sometimes a field-goal. I see this as having traded one set of complications for another as I can go and become a mechanic at a nearby tech school... 7/8ths of the issues Ive had never touched a wrench and probably lab coat clad tech pluging in a cord and click a few icons and that is all ya need. I have no idea where I could go and learn to fix whats wrong with my car even tho the issue(s) is minor.

Bitch n moan as I may I would buy a BMW but from my first ownership to current and reading the forums when deciding on whether to buy a X5 or not I'm scared of BMW software issues on newer models. The 1er pales in comparison to the issues of an X5 but still the tug of "what if" lingers.

I love my 1er and intend to keep it thru 2022-23
Appreciate 0