BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #45
eltoshan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagekicker View Post
don't fool yourselves. a stick is to sportscar as an automatic(paddle or not) is to station wagons and minivans. unless you're handicap, you're not forgiven.
lol what sportscar? Please don't tell me that you honestly consider a coupe derived from a 4 door sedan platform "sportscar". That's almost as outrageous as 335i owners thinking they are driving a supercar.

And wtf with the comments about the 1 series like a go-kart? That's not even close, the 1 series rides on a suspension and weighs about 20 times more than a shifter kart.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #46
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

^^^ No doubt.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #47
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoshan View Post
lol what sportscar? Please don't tell me that you honestly consider a coupe derived from a 4 door sedan platform "sportscar". That's almost as outrageous as 335i owners thinking they are driving a supercar.

And wtf with the comments about the 1 series like a go-kart? That's not even close, the 1 series rides on a suspension and weighs about 20 times more than a shifter kart.
poor guy must have a colum-shifting automatic sedan. seems pretty uptight. hey loosen up!
      10-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #48
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
No.

I don't know if, all else being equal, a manual is faster than an automatic (I think it might be, under the best circumstances, 0.1 seconds faster on the 135i to 60 mph.) it a try.
ALL things be "equal", meaning gearing too, then the manual would be faster EVERY time.
But, as it is, the auto version has added gearing benefit to offset the torque converter losses.

BTW, NO ONE "shifts" an auto, they simply ask the computer to change gears.
And, it's not "you" that is consistent off the line in an auto, I mean come on, all you have to do is push the loud pedal all the way to the floor.
It's not like you have to do anything to get that consistency.

I like the auto version 135i. I could have been very happy owning the auto version. For me though, I simply enjoy the added fun a true manual trans gives the driver.

OP:
Don't be concerned over which is quicker as either version is as fast as the other. Decide based on what you want and how you want to drive this car.
Either one will be enjoyable.
I like the auto for the added level of concentration you can have on braking and steering, as you don't need to be concerned with clutching and proper gear. So, it makes for an enjoyable drive as you can give a bit more attention to the other aspects of handling.

If you enjoy the added challenge of the manual, then get that one.
An "auto-manual" does not give you the best of both worlds though.
It simply makes an auto trans a bit more fun.

That's my nickles worth.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #49
chbj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Convertible (gone)

Quote:

+1
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #50
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Merriam Webster:
Main Entry: sports car
Function: noun
Date: 1928
: a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving

Webster's- via "yourdictionary.com":
sports car definition
sports car
a small car, often with only two seats, offering above-average speed, acceleration, and handling

Ask.com:
n.
An automobile equipped for racing, especially an aerodynamically shaped one-passenger or two-passenger vehicle having a low center of gravity and steering and suspension designed for precise control at high speeds.

Cambridge Dictionary:

Definition
sports car noun

n [C]
a fast low car, often for two people only

(Definition of sports car noun from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

MSN Encarta:
Definition: small fast car: a small car with a low center of gravity designed for fast acceleration and for handling at high speeds

sports car
–noun a small, high-powered automobile with long, low lines, usually seating two persons.
Also, sport car.

Origin:
1920–25
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.

That old "what is a sports car?" brings more questions and opinions than it answers. Thus, it's an old concept to bring up, cause it's doesn't prove any point you're trying to make.

There really is no solid consensus on the issue.
About the only thing that could apply is that the car is either a 2-seater, or it's made for 2 people.

Oh ok, the 1 has a back seat, so I guess it's not a "sports car".

But, if seat count is the determining factor, then it's an archaic term that simply uses seat count.
There are 4 seaters that have greater capability in any measurable parameter of acceleration, braking, handling, grip, etc...
So, what's the big deal if someone says the 1 is a sports car?
You're upset because it's got seating for 2 too many people?

I've never met a 3 series owners who considers his 3 a "super car", but they certainly think their cars are SUPER, and I would agree, just like the 1 is SUPER. Yes, I guess they are SUPER CARS.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #51
Rawhyde
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 MINI Cooper S JCW

I don't have a 135 yet, but hopefully soon I will. When I do, it will have a manual transmission.

My Cooper S has a manual, my B4C Camaro has a manual, and my daily beater Honda Civic has a manual as well. I have a '94 Impala SS, and it has an automatic. I wish it had a manual, but GM refused to make one.

When the Impala transmission died suddenly at 108K miles, I was a very unhappy camper. My aunt and uncle with a Buick LeSabre weren't very proud of their automatic transmission when it had to be replaced for the FOURTH time at 80K miles (just after the extended warranty ran out at 75K. (At least they got 3 replaced for free...)

I prefer driving a manual in any car regardless of its level of performance. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but it's just the way I feel.

Aside from preferences, I have had enough direct and indirect experience to conclude that manual transmissions are more robust and reliable long term. I just don't see paying extra for a feature that I really don't enjoy that also makes the car more fragile and less dependable.

Rawhyde
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #52
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
This isn't a Geo Metro folks; if we're talking 135i you're not going to lose or gain 1sec on your 0-60 time or make a significant difference in the quarter mile going either way so what's the point in arguing which is faster? They both do well below 5.4s 0-60 with more performance to be got with mods! This car has so much power what's a tenth of a second here or there if you go either way? If you have driven stick and feel it adds to the enjoyment of the car, ie makes you feel more connected, more in control, more exhilarated and you don't mind driving it in traffic then go for it! If you'd rather give your left foot a break, keep two hands on the wheel, eat a burger in stop/go traffic or otherwise don't care about moving your own gears get the automatic.

And to address the OP's question I think its just one of those things where you can never win. When I'm in traffic or driving in the city or I'm just plain tired in the city I wish I had gotten an automatic. If I had gotten an automatic I'd yearn for a manual when traffic breaks loose and those free onramps and twisty roads come knocking. Nearly anytime I dropped the throttle in my last car (automatic) I wished I had a manual to real add to it. To each their own. In a perfect world as one poster said you could have two cars, one for cruising/comfort and one for when you feel like playing. Since you have driven a manual before I assume you know which you prefer. Then it just comes down to "Is the manual in the 135i slick?" Yeah its no S2000 but it's still one of the slickest out there. Okay now is the automatic slick? Yeah I hear its pretty slick too. Either option is good, just whichever mode of driving you want.

Last edited by Lucky1; 10-14-2009 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Added an extra comment at the end
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #53
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

I feel your pain, almost no chance to get manual unless you order. Lazy people. However you could drive M3 with manual, amazing experience.
      10-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #54
Erik219
Statistical Consultancy (Medical / Pharma)
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 GT

Don't you always get a manual with your car? How can you otherwise get to know all the functions?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 01:55 AM   #55
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Only everyday I drive it...
      10-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #56
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

My story: (always had manuals)

Went to test drive the 135i almost a year ago now, all they had was the automatic. Test drove it and wasn't thrilled with it didn't feel connected to the car, said forget it and looked at other cars.

Came back to the 135i 6months later as it seemed to be the only thing that I wanted which fit the bill, said I would give it a try a again. They had a 6spd to test drive that day, I signed the papers that night to order my 135i.

For me thats how big a difference there is between auto and manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #57
135i Cabrio
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i Cabrio M Sport

I'm the other way around. I have a manual but would go with the step if I did it again.

Maybe I haven't driven it enough yet but compared to my other manuals (99 Camaro & 07 Solstice ZOK) the clutch and shifter in the 135 just don't suit my driving.

Like others have said, the one is a very, very nice car, but it's not to be confused with a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #58
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
The automatic has more of a feeling of "pull" IMHO....probably because of the 3.46 rear end. I wish that we self rowers had that rear diff, it would transform the feel of the car.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #59
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

I eat burgers while driving stick... Really though, I don't see why people ask questions like this, do what YOU want to do! If you don't want to have to shift all the time get the auto! If you like the extra involvment/connection of a manual then get the manual! They are very similiar performance wise so just weight your pros and cons and choose, it is not that hard! I made my decision within 30 seconds of driving the step. It is a cool transmission, and I like how it behaves in DS, but the paddles are cheesy and the console shifter is designed to be like a sequential but it is the wrong way! The other thing I didn't like is that the car actually shifted faster if I let it shift itself. So to me the shifters were useless unless I was setting up for a turn. Stock cars usually have very easy clutch modulation so I don't see what all this fuss is about driving a manual in traffic..... try driving a 6-puck racing clutch with a lightweight 1-piece flywheel and a soggy transmission mount every day....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #60
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
The automatic has more of a feeling of "pull" IMHO....probably because of the 3.46 rear end. I wish that we self rowers had that rear diff, it would transform the feel of the car.
You can buy a wavetrak or quaffe diff with that ratio if you wanted it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #61
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTaz02 View Post
i do... everyday!
SouthBend - OFE Clutch (Stage 3/Feramic and Organic Linings)
ECS Tuning - Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel Kit (9lbs)
Awesome car, how do you like it? When I was looking at the 135i I was cross shopping with a TT, but I really can't pass up a good I6. I've been wanting a MK4 Supra forever but I'm not going to pay $30,000 for an outdated car with mods. Plus, integrated nav and premium audio/ipod connectivity, comfort, quiteness, quick spool of the turbos, the fact that I built it and am the only owner, and that inline 6 sound sold it for me!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #62
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i Cabrio View Post
I'm the other way around. I have a manual but would go with the step if I did it again.

Maybe I haven't driven it enough yet but compared to my other manuals (99 Camaro & 07 Solstice ZOK) the clutch and shifter in the 135 just don't suit my driving.

Like others have said, the one is a very, very nice car, but it's not to be confused with a sports car.
First off, I respect that you have a right to your opinion.

That said, I have my opinions too.
A 99 Camaro is more of a "sports car" than the 135i?
That manual sucked, as do many GM manuals, even the newer ones.
Even the newish G8 GXP's manual is rough, balky, and has a dislike for fast shifts.

Addressing the question of "sports car", again.
A modern view on what a "sports car" is:
An automobile engineered and built to give the car a greater level of handling performance, along with design intent to give the driver a greater level of driving engagement compared to automobiles not designed for superior handling, but for soft cruising comfort and hauling people.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #63
BSM 335I
Sir Boost-a-Lot
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
Yeah, this debate will never be over. I for one somewhat reluctantly bought my first ever auto when I got my 135. That reluctance lasted only about 10 minutes after break-in. I have just as much fun on the twisties in my step 1 as I had in my old S2000 (which had a killer 6MT). I feel the benefits of the step (no clutching in traffic, faster) way outweigh any disadvantages
IMHO the guys on here saying that MT is the only way you can "really drive" a car, are just letting their testes think for them (and I used to be one of them).
Couldn't of said it better myself. I too was just like that with my previous 6mt 335i until I finally gave the step in the 135i a shot and it had me sold!

Last edited by BSM 335I; 12-27-2009 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0