BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2015, 12:30 AM   #1
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '21 F150 Tremor

feeling dejected, time to cut bait? 135i w/12k miles looking at new transmission

I ordered a new 135i, msport, 6MT, in late 2013. I received one of the last of the production run, picking it up in september (production ceased in october that I understand). Had issues upon deliver that took a month to properly diagnose and fix (all before 1000 miles), ended up being an issue with the evaporative fuel recovery system that kept throwing CEL.

Last month, the charge pipe blew off and bits of it sucked into the throttle body and held the throttle closed... couldnt get above 1300 rpm. It was towed to dealer and fixed and was told no apparent damage to engine.

Today, I dropped it off for a grinding when shifting from 1 to 2 under higher rpm. The shop foreman was able to recreate the issue pretty easily, and he said it will probably be a new transmission.

While I loved the car when it worked well, my interest has waned significantly over these last few issues. I'm in a crummy 320i loaner, and probably will be for a week or more. My car has 12800 miles, and I don't rag it hard and I have no mods on the car. Part of me wants to leave the brand (and really all german cars), get a truck for the day to day, then add a used fun car down the road.

The other part of me knows that I like to drive, nothing really compares to 300+hp rear wheel drive coupes/sedans, and while I definitely don't want to own this 135i anymore (it's a lemon, even if the laws don't quite define it as such) I feel I should push BMW to make it right. Something like getting a premium on trade in (say private party value), then invoice on a 335i or m3. I would take a bath on a trade in outside of possible getting this arrangement.

Anyways, this is certainly a vent... but in the impartiality of this forum and audience, what would you do? I've got another 2 years warranty, but there's now way I'm owning this car outside of that and I feel now is the time to make a stink with BMW seeing as the car is in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:04 AM   #2
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Sounds like you got one of the cars that will always have some sort of issue. I would get rid of it by the time your warranty runs out and go get something else so you might as well start looking around to see if anything catches your eye now or that is coming out later.

I chose to get the extra few years of maintenance, which I'm sure you still can if you were to keep it. Honestly to me, your car is a lemon. That little of miles and 3 problems already. I've have almost 27k on my '12 I bought in Sept of 2011 and only had the recalls done on it.

Try what you can and if BMW will give you a good deal or buy it back then go ahead. But it doesn't hurt to look around and see what else is running around.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 04:26 AM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
sucks to hear your car is having such a rough time....sometimes it's just a matter of luck....

the good thing is; you have plenty of warranty left and should really be aggressive in getting everything fixed and documented.

I had a 135is before and now a 1M----I drive them hard and put a LOT of miles on both in very short times and have bad no major issues so there is luck of the draw involved....I do recommend aggressive maintenance.....and continuous checks of stuff everytime I drop my car off for service.

don't get a truck.....that won't solve anything. lol
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 04:43 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Nothing lasts forever... especially when you drive it hard. I think you need to take some responsibility for the (manual ?)transmission wear.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #5
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I'd keep it, two more years of warranty left to cover anything else.
It does shake your confidence in the car when parts fail but parts that are going
to fail usually fail early on. I'd bet it will be reliable in the future.
ER CP, Forge DV, Wagner FMIC, PE, Maddad Mid, ER Sports OC, BMS OCC, RB Check Valve, AFE intake, Cobb AP3- Stage 1+ drive, BMW SS, PS Springs, Yellow Koni external, M3 Control Arms F & R, M3 Strut Brace, M3 Sub Bushing, Rouge Toe, Dinan Camber Plate and Rear Shock Mts., E93 M3 front sway bar, Mfactory Diff, Arc 8 PSS 235/40/18-265/35/18
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'd be happy to own up to transmission wear, but knowing how I drive the car (90% city driving, generally averaging around 19-20 mpg) I am concerned that if it's my relatively light banging it around then it's not the car for me. I've driven a stick since I've had a license (had a mk3 supra when I started driving in the 90s, then a second generation WRX for much of the last decade), and while I'm sure I have a few bad habits it's hard for me to imagine they could lead to failure in such a short time and operation period.

Any other thoughts or advice? I've been looking to get a sedan anyways now that kids are growing bigger and in my car a bit more often (we have a sweet odyssey for the normal child ferry), and if I could convince the wife I would get a truck as a third family vehicle. I'm not sure three cars is in the cards right now, but a guy can dream.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

The dealership is going to cover the tranny under warranty, right? (I wonder how long we'll be able to keep using the word tranny until it is deemed offensive to transgender people and we have to stop saying or look like insensitive assholes...)
It does sound like you just got a bad build, but I would get it fixed under warranty and keep it for a bit and see if anything else pops up.
It never hurts to ask your dealer what kind of aggressive deal they would give you, but unless you have been a long-term customer, I have a feeling they won't be all that generous.

If I were to get rid of my 135 any time soon, and I was looking to get out of the German car market, I would hold onto it until the Ford Focus RS comes out. That car looks like it will be more fun than a barrel of monkeys (which isn't actually all that much fun, when it comes down to it)!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz View Post
I'd be happy to own up to transmission wear, but knowing how I drive the car (90% city driving, generally averaging around 19-20 mpg) I am concerned that if it's my relatively light banging it around then it's not the car for me. I've driven a stick since I've had a license (had a mk3 supra when I started driving in the 90s, then a second generation WRX for much of the last decade), and while I'm sure I have a few bad habits it's hard for me to imagine they could lead to failure in such a short time and operation period.

Any other thoughts or advice? I've been looking to get a sedan anyways now that kids are growing bigger and in my car a bit more often (we have a sweet odyssey for the normal child ferry), and if I could convince the wife I would get a truck as a third family vehicle. I'm not sure three cars is in the cards right now, but a guy can dream.
I'm thinking you got a string of bad luck, I'd wait till it gets fix then wait till you get close to the warranty end. If there are more problems with the car you should check the lemon laws.

I imagine most of us drive quite spiritedly on the forum and the transmission is typically the strong suit of these cars considering how much more torque is pushed through them.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #9
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Agree with the above mentioned posts that you seem to been given, as you said earlier, a lemon. And even though you may not be able to get it remedied in the legal sense, I would do what your instinct is telling you to do and unload it. As Vigilante375 said, it sounds like it's a car that will always be causing you one headache or another.

As for sedan cars that aren't German and still could be fun; man if you can figure that one out, I know a lot of auto makers that would love to speak with you. The pickins are slim in that segment. Maybe a 3.5L TSX with a 6-speed? I don't know!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and happy motoring!

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp
Agree with the above mentioned posts that you seem to been given, as you said earlier, a lemon. And even though you may not be able to get it remedied in the legal sense, I would do what your instinct is telling you to do and unload it. As Vigilante375 said, it sounds like it's a car that will always be causing you one headache or another.

As for sedan cars that aren't German and still could be fun; man if you can figure that one out, I know a lot of auto makers that would love to speak with you. The pickins are slim in that segment. Maybe a 3.5L TSX with a 6-speed? I don't know!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and happy motoring!
Acura no longer sells a single vehicle with a manual.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #11
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Dealer called this morning, new transmission should be here on Monday. Odds of me owning this car much longer are dropping quickly. Unfortunately I just replaced the tires. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #12
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Damn! See how out of touch I am?!

How about a 4-door Honda Civic Si?

;x

BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #13
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
Quote:
Not a sedan, but how about the Cadillac ATS 2.0 liter Turbo Coupe Manual?
Attached Images

08-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #14
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep

I was gonna mention the ATS as the V has obviously been getting a lot of attention lately. But I know you can't touch a V for under $65k

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #15
Horigan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz View Post
Dealer called this morning, new transmission should be here on Monday. Odds of me owning this car much longer are dropping quickly. Unfortunately I just replaced the tires. Oh well.
Did you wear out the initial tires in 12K miles?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #16
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Sometimes it's just better to cut the cord and move on, before the path of escalation leads for more financial commitment. I like to make plans regarding my car a few years in advance, so I have time to second guess myself and whatnot. I'm eyeing a Cayman S 2-3 years from now. If my 1 series proves to be troublesome, it will happen even sooner.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #17
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
Not a sedan, but how about the Cadillac ATS 2.0 liter Turbo Coupe Manual?
if I do dump the 135i I'll almost certainly go with a sedan. Would really like 4 doors for the kids. I like the idea of the ATS, and it has gotten really good reviews re: the chassis and driving dynamics, but some of the other issues give me pause (infotainment is apparently the opposite of intuitive, power delivery leaves reviewers wanting). Might have to drive one sometime and find out for myself.

I drove a new WRX today and it was crap. Well, that's probably unfair, but the short gears and power difference were palpable. This N55 engine may have ruined me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horigan View Post
Did you wear out the initial tires in 12K miles?
They werent completely worn, but they werent in great shape. I wanted the Michelin PSS and just pulled the trigger. Under 15K on the stock rubber is not uncommon from what these forums imply, especially considering I drive only city miles (probably over 90% city).
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 06:45 AM   #18
Josh (PA)
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 135 vert, '13 x5, '03 e46

I think it is time to get the dealership GM and BMWNA involved. Obviously you got one of those cars that just isn't right. I'm sure if you put some pressure on them, they'd discuss high value trade in so as not to go through the buyback process. Their first answer will almost undoubtedly be 'nothing we can do', but mention legal action, lemon law, etc and they should come back with options.

As for the transmission issue, I would expect that is not driver related. If you shattered a clutch, or smoked a flywheel, at 12k miles it would be suspicious, but not transmission internals. I'm sure if you polled this board, there are a LOT more hard miles on a lot of transmissions without gear issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #19
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

I drove 13k miles before the tires of my 'sport' setup from bmw wore out.

My parent's 24k 'non-sport' setup still qualify for cpo and still have a fair amount of tread left.

Mine is a 128i coupe and theirs is a 128i cabriolet.
      08-28-2015, 07:05 AM   #20
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

I'm telling ya - I know it's a step down in "prestige" (whatever that is - I only care about enjoying the drive), but the Focus RS is looking awesome.
4 doors, AWD, 315 HP or better...
It probably won't have the torque of the 135, and it will be a hair heavier, but Subaru will no longer dominate the AWD hatch market unless they step up with the next-gen STi.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #21
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp
Quote:
Damn! See how out of touch I am?!

How about a 4-door Honda Civic Si?

;x
Or a TSX.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #22
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
FWIW my car has been more reliable out of warranty than when it was in warranty. I figure all the parts that were "defective" have already bit the dust and been replaced

In your case though your problems have been a bit more worrying and if it doesn't get any better I'd probably be looking at options to get out if they persist anymore. Its hard to call it; you could be totally fine after warranty or it could be bad news You should talk to Brokenvert, he had TONS of problems while in warranty (thus his username) yet he still has his car last I checked.
Appreciate 0