BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #45
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrkris135 View Post
Agreed, when i first purchased the car i already knew it was going to be a money pit. Maintenance, gas, insurance, and the depreciation would kill my pocket. So you sir have the same mindset as me, i love the car because it makes me happy to look at, to drive, and just to know i have one.

That being said, the car is currently at Performance Technic. Their wait time is about 2 months but I'm okay with that. I want it done properly. Im currently speaking to the owner. He's wanting to do a full dinan engine build, here is what they said

"I’ve been waiting to hear back from Dinan on the rebuild price. But their rebuild on the N55 is $15k, that includes new internals and complete long block build. So I would guess they would charge about the same or slightly less on the N54."

I don't want to spend that much, so I'm waiting on them to give me a price on another source. Im willing to spend $10k tops. What are your guy's thoughts?
Since Dinan has been building professional racing engines for many years now, this rebuild would likely be the best you can get, but as you stated, very expensive. Any outfit that builds engines for LeMans and other major racing venues knows what it's doing, although you pay for that expertise and any up-rated parts they may use.

If you've had a rod bearing let go, the least you can do is a crankshaft kit, which isn't too costly compared to other options. Next step up is a short block, but you need to have the existing head checked very carefully to make sure there's no bearing debris in any of the oil galleries or the variable cam-timing equipment, since they're driven by oil pressure. A long-block rebuild is going to be expensive, but you may be able to get by at $10K if you choose a non-Dinan rebuild. As long as it's all done with OEM-quality parts or better, it should be ok. Might depend on whether you can re-use your existing turbos or if you need those replaced as well (thinking about turbo bearings here - if the oil was contaminated, it could cause issues in this area).

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #46
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrkris135 View Post
Agreed, when i first purchased the car i already knew it was going to be a money pit. Maintenance, gas, insurance, and the depreciation would kill my pocket. So you sir have the same mindset as me, i love the car because it makes me happy to look at, to drive, and just to know i have one.

That being said, the car is currently at Performance Technic. Their wait time is about 2 months but I'm okay with that. I want it done properly. Im currently speaking to the owner. He's wanting to do a full dinan engine build, here is what they said

"I’ve been waiting to hear back from Dinan on the rebuild price. But their rebuild on the N55 is $15k, that includes new internals and complete long block build. So I would guess they would charge about the same or slightly less on the N54."

I don't want to spend that much, so I'm waiting on them to give me a price on another source. Im willing to spend $10k tops. What are your guy's thoughts?
$10k for a Dinan rebuild that will probably be slightly better than a refurbed engine at $3-5K. As far as I know Dinan does not make internal engine performace parts like they do for the E92/90 M3. Hell you can even check the Dinan website and there's nothing listed for the N54 as far as a built engine, but they have the 4.6 stroker for the M3. That Dinan engine will more than likely be stock, meaning no better rod, crank, pistons, ect for $5k more. You're getting ripped off again.

For $10k you can buy a refurbed engine and a single turbo kit and make way more power reliably than a Dinan engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #47
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I'd get exact details from Dinan on what their rebuild service consists of. When I was involved with the GM F body crowd, the same was being said about Lingenfelter. I just know that a LPE 383 was a victim of a nitrous malfunction. A solenoid malfunction resulted in tons of nitrous being injected into the engine. Normally, an engine would be toast from this; I know first hand about this. But the engine just shut down. He pulled over. Let the car sit for a bit, resolved the nitrous leak, and fired the engine right back up.

Also, when some of the car mags were doing tuner shoot outs, companies like Vortex, Paxton, Callaway, etc were trailering in their cars. Lingenfelter drove his car (sometimes it was a customer's car) to the shoot out. The reviewers beat the piss out of the cars. And Lingenfelter drove the car back. Talk about producing power AND reliability.
Appreciate 0