E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Thinking of an X3 to share the garage with the E90 - any advice?

11-02-2005, 04:51 PM   #45
C4S4SS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I3, E92 M3, 993TT, X5 F15

Got one as a loaner.....did not like it. Go for an X5 or a wagon.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 05:15 PM   #46
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAlby7
If I had to buy a 6 cylinder AWD vehicle with ground clearance I would either opt for the Infiniti FX35, Nissan Murano, or the Acura MDX. We've had our MDX for 5 years now and there has not been one problem with it. It's roomy, good on gas for a vehicle in its class, and nice looking in and out.

I hear you and they are all good alternative choices. As a matter of personal taste (no offense intended), neither model does anything for me in the looks department except for the FX which looks great. Hoever, it has very inefficient use of space - strictly a five seater and is about as long/wide as the Volvo XC90 which can seat 7 (!). As well, the FX has monster wheels which do not have many winter tire choices (and the choices that exist are very expensive). Lastly, wife does not like looks (which prety much ends the conversation). So here we are with the X3. We chose it over the x5 3.0 because we found the X5 too big for, again, only seating for five, yet at the same time, had less luggage and rear space than the X3. As for looks, we like our X3 very much, but I grant that BMW could have spent a little more money on the interior. We looove the moonroof.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2005, 03:06 PM   #47
iDrive-E90
Intergalactic Commander
Rep
Drives: 330i

Thanks for your advice, good people. I took some, and not others!

Ordered the X3 today, loaded with goodies (except the Sports pack). No idea of delivery date yet.

BTW, the E90 has over 9K miles now, and still very very happy with it.

Thanks again

Fred
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2005, 03:28 PM   #48
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Congrats. We are very happy with our x3.

Good to see other 2 Bimmer famillies out there
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2005, 03:34 PM   #49
JBM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi . . .

That's interesting that someone pointed out a "flaw" of the X3 is that it's built in the U.S. Why is this a negative? I've heard several BMW enthusiasts site this fact as a negative as well. Yet, they don't seem to think the X5, which is assembled in Spartanburg SC, has the same flaw.

Any opinions?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2005, 03:38 PM   #50
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM
That's interesting that someone pointed out a "flaw" of the X3 is that it's built in the U.S. Why is this a negative? I've heard several BMW enthusiasts site this fact as a negative as well. Yet, they don't seem to think the X5, which is assembled in Spartanburg SC, has the same flaw.

Any opinions?

Ahem...the X3 is actually built in Graz, Austria, in a dedicated assembly line, by Magna-Steyr, the same people who build the legendary G-Wagen.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #51
BrunoT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F-150

I noted a few mediocre reviews of it when it came out. Seems to lack the ride/handling balance of the sedans, being a little harsh to some.

I'm not that fond of its styling (love the X5) or value relative to its function.

Performance wise, the new Toyota Rav4 and even the upcoming Hyundai Sonata may make you feel like you paid too much. Not the same vehicles in many ways, but for 10 grand less they may make you wonder.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #52
sarafil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDrive-E90

Ordered the X3 today, loaded with goodies (except the Sports pack). No idea of delivery date yet.

Thanks again

Fred
You'll like it alot. I'm really surprised by the negative responses that you've gotten here from many people. I must have missed this thread when it began, or else I would have certainly given you my input.

We've had our '04 X3 3.0 since July '04 and it's been a great car. The build quality is pretty good (but I'll admit it is not the best). The first model year had its quirks, but I still think it is a nice car. The main areas of criticism that people have had are in regards to:

-creaks and rattles in some early cars (ours does this only on really rough roads),
-a choppy ride with Sport Package (ours has Sport, and it is very firm but not that bad in my opinion),
-low-grade interior materials (this was improved on the '05 with different trim; our car isn't too bad with leather and wood, but the base '04 models did look bad with leatherette and black plastic trim)
-non-painted bumpers (I think it looks ok, but I also really like the new ones with painted bumpers and wouldn't mind the upgrade!)

It had a few minor items that required attention early on, but since then it has been very reliable and trouble-free over 17 months and 14,000 miles.

I'd give a positive recommendation for the X3 in heartbeat, and I'd buy one again.

12-24-2005, 04:25 PM   #53
sarafil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec32
I noted a few mediocre reviews of it when it came out. Seems to lack the ride/handling balance of the sedans, being a little harsh to some.

I'm not that fond of its styling (love the X5) or value relative to its function.

Performance wise, the new Toyota Rav4 and even the upcoming Hyundai Sonata may make you feel like you paid too much. Not the same vehicles in many ways, but for 10 grand less they may make you wonder.
I don't think I paid too much... in fact, I don't even know if I could get a nicely equipped Rav4 or Sonata for what I'm paying for the X3! We got a once-in-a-lifetime deal that definately could not be duplicated today.
      12-24-2005, 05:06 PM   #54
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

I just sold my 2005 X3 3.0 for an E90

I thought the x3 was OK. I had sport, cold weather and premium package and xenons- basically loaded. Everything worked great. The X3 handles almost as well as a 3 series but is a little choppy. Xdrive seemed to work well. The only negatives were:
Fuel economy
Details were lacking
Perception of quality given price{doors are light, door sills were metal "stickers"}
The e90 just seems like just so much more vehicle whether its technology, design or build quality.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2005, 07:03 PM   #55
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Drove the X-3 , OMG this puppy is so UNDERATED...........I would recoomend it it drives better to me that the e90, get it with the sport package.....the seats alone are worth it, and it's got good power....smooth almost turbo like, and the big pananorama roof, wow.....hey think I need to buy one, it's a nice vehicle.....
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2005, 10:23 PM   #56
red_wagen
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: with a grin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDrive-E90

Thanks again

Fred
Good call
I would have gotten SP tho