BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #397
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoz View Post
From what my CA said.. Yes, the tax rate is derived from the state the car is purchased.
Negative. Pennsylvania has a use tax in which the difference between the out-of-state tax and the Pa. sales tax has to be covered. Some excerpts from the friendly folks at the Pa. Dep't Revenue:

Quote:

Use Tax is the counterpart of Sales Tax
and applies to Internet, mail order,
out-of-state, toll-free “800” numbers,
and other purchases of taxable items when PA
Sales Tax has not been paid.

Q: Are individuals liable for Use Tax?

A: Yes. Individuals who purchase taxable products or
services from an out-of-state location, foreign
country, or within the state where no tax was paid,
are responsible to pay Use Tax on the purchase if
no tax was paid to the vendor. Allegheny and
Philadelphia local Use Tax would also be due if
the purchases are used in those counties. Use Tax
liabilities can be reported on a Use Tax Return
(PA-1) form.

Q: Is there a credit for tax paid on an item
in another state?

A: Yes. Pennsylvania grants a credit for tax paid to
another state, provided the tax is legally due and
paid. For example, if a Pennsylvania resident purchases
and takes delivery of a taxable item in
Maryland and pays a 5 percent tax there, the purchaser
would be liable for reporting and remitting the
1 percent difference (Use Tax) which is due to
Pennsylvania upon the use of the property in
Pennsylvania. Credit against Use Tax is NOT
granted for Value Added Taxes or Sales Taxes
paid to foreign countries. Also, taxes paid to the
Federal Government, such as Customs Duties,
cannot be claimed as a credit against Use Tax.

Q:How do I know what is taxable?

A: All purchases or leases of tangible personal property
and services of items are taxable unless the item
qualifies for exemption from tax. Generally, purchases
of food from grocery stores, medications,
and clothing for everyday wear qualify for exemption
from tax. See Retailers’ Information Guide
(REV-717) for examples of taxable items. If in
doubt, contact the Taxpayer Service and Information
Center at (717) 787-1064.

Q: How do I report and pay Use Tax?

A: Use Tax liabilities can be reported on a PA-1 Form.
The Use Tax Return (PA-1) and full remittance is
due on, or before, the 20th day of the month after
the month in which the purchase was made. PA-1
forms may be ordered from the Department’s 24-
hour toll-free FACT & Information Line at 1-888-
PATAXES (728-2937); within the local Harrisburg
area call (717) 772-9739; download the form from
the Internet at www.revenue.state.pa.us; or contact
the Taxpayer Service and Information Center
at (717) 787-1064.

Q: What if Use Tax is not paid?

A: The Department can identify those who owe Use
Tax by various methods. These include routine
audits, self-assessment programs, complaints,
investigations, and by obtaining lists of out-of-state
purchases through the cooperation of vendors and
other states.
The PA Department of Revenue may issue an
assessment for a Use Tax liability. Both penalty
and interest charges shall be imposed.
http://www.revenue.state.pa.us/reven...e/rev-1748.pdf
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #398
NoDoz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi

Thats interesting. Sorry for the misinformation.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #399
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoz View Post
Thats interesting. Sorry for the misinformation.
It may differ from state-to-state, too -- that's just for Pennsylvania.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #400
TSXto128
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
It may differ from state-to-state, too -- that's just for Pennsylvania.
Thanks for the info. It took me awhile to figure this out independently. I knew it was too good to be true. Damnit PA!

Another thing that annoys me about PA is it doesn't allow alcohol to be sold in grocery stores, and they separate the wine stores from the beer stores!! Damn vestiges of Quaker law.

We're so backwards here.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #401
enigma135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 SG/Coral 135i Convertible

We're the same down here in Maryland TSX....In Montgomery county its all county run liquor stores and seperate beer and wine shops...Though i guess thats not statewide like you all up in PA
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #402
Fwapsk
Rep
Drives:

In Mass, you pay sales tax when you register the car. So you can't buy out of state and skip that tax.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #403
TSXto128
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma135 View Post
We're the same down here in Maryland TSX....In Montgomery county its all county run liquor stores and seperate beer and wine shops...Though i guess thats not statewide like you all up in PA

that's ass backwards. ive lived in nYc and NOVA, and those are both civilized places where you can buy alcohol in one location. PA needs to recognize.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #404
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXto128 View Post
that's ass backwards. ive lived in nYc and NOVA, and those are both civilized places where you can buy alcohol in one location. PA needs to recognize.
They're running a "great experiment" at a handful of grocery stores (one or two in both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia,) where they located the State Liquor Store inside the grocery store. Just as a trial run. To see how it works.

Of course, you still can't pay for everything at once -- you have to walk into the State Store section inside the grocery store, but I suppose we should thank the lord for at least this small progress.

(Of course, this doesn't apply to beer. Only liquor. Apparently, it's perfectly okay to be able to buy hard liquor in a grocery store, but if beer was available, there'd be rioting in the streets or something. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that beer distributors are all privately owned, but liquor is only available from the state monopoly stores.)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #405
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
They're running a "great experiment" at a handful of grocery stores (one or two in both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia,) where they located the State Liquor Store inside the grocery store. Just as a trial run. To see how it works.

Of course, you still can't pay for everything at once -- you have to walk into the State Store section inside the grocery store, but I suppose we should thank the lord for at least this small progress.

(Of course, this doesn't apply to beer. Only liquor. Apparently, it's perfectly okay to be able to buy hard liquor in a grocery store, but if beer was available, there'd be rioting in the streets or something. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that beer distributors are all privately owned, but liquor is only available from the state monopoly stores.)
I heard somewhere that we have the prohibition to thank for all this state-specific nonsense. When prohibition was repealed, the only way the repeal could pass was to allow each state to determine it's own laws.

That's why PA has state stores. NC has "ABC" stores and dry counties, Wisconsin 16 year-olds can drink beers with their parents and California groceries sell Petron in the aisles between the avocado products and the tofu products.:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #406
TSXto128
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

I think you're on to something. All the owners of beer stores would lose their business if everything were to consolidate, but even considering that, I don't think Pennsylvanians should continue to live in such a primitive fashion.

I was wondering if anyone recently was able to purchase a 135i for close to invoice or slightly above? I know I ask like every month but during these turbulent times, I'm looking for just the right moment to strike.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #407
singular
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think you're on to something. All the owners of beer stores would lose their business if everything were to consolidate, but even considering that, I don't think Pennsylvanians should continue to live in such a primitive fashion.

I was wondering if anyone recently was able to purchase a 135i for close to invoice or slightly above? I know I ask like every month but during these turbulent times, I'm looking for just the right moment to strike.
invoice + $500 for an '09 = slightly above?

I suspect you can get below invoice on '08s right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #408
TSXto128
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular View Post
invoice + $500 for an '09 = slightly above?

I suspect you can get below invoice on '08s right now.

do you or anyone else have a crystal ball into whether 09's will be at or below invoice? Any predictions based on information would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #409
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep
Drives: jb 135 on order

i payed invoice plus about 800 it was the best deal i found ad i took it
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #410
TSXto128
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewyjr15 View Post
i payed invoice plus about 800 it was the best deal i found ad i took it
what was the 800?

edit: now that im away from work i can write more. What did the ad say? I would be happy if I could get invoice or a little below. I know some dealerships are paying interest on unsold cars, so if push comes to shove, they might be willing to sell me a car with a low profit margin just to get rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #411
singular
Captain
Rep

Quote:
do you or anyone else have a crystal ball into whether 09's will be at or below invoice? Any predictions based on information would be appreciated.
No crystal balls, same info everyone else has.

I had no problems getting invoice+$500 using the painless "payne method", but I didn't try anything lower. Just like stocks - you'll never be able to pick the bottom. I'm very satisfied with what I got.

My comment about '08 models came from knowing there is plenty of inventory left - check out the dealership websites. Every '08 on the lot on January 1st is going to look like a used car and probably sell for a deep discount. If it's another bad year, the '09 inventory may be in a similar situation in Dec. '09.

So if your willing to wait another year...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #412
TSXto128
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular View Post
No crystal balls, same info everyone else has.

I had no problems getting invoice+$500 using the painless "payne method", but I didn't try anything lower. Just like stocks - you'll never be able to pick the bottom. I'm very satisfied with what I got.

My comment about '08 models came from knowing there is plenty of inventory left - check out the dealership websites. Every '08 on the lot on January 1st is going to look like a used car and probably sell for a deep discount. If it's another bad year, the '09 inventory may be in a similar situation in Dec. '09.

So if your willing to wait another year...

thanks. I will probably try to buy soon and my goal is to break the record at 1addicts for lowest price paid! I am not desperate and have time on my side, so I will be sure to play this game the way it should be played.

Now the 08s are cheaper, but if I were to sell it in a few years, will I lose more money in the end since it's a 1-year model? If I recall, there aren't many substantive differences between 08 and 09 other than the year moniker.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:15 AM   #413
dortega
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 Interlagos

I got $500 over ED invoice w/ base acquisition and only ED adder. Waiting for re-delivery.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 02:36 AM   #414
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

Singular, it looks like your car is fully loaded, what's MSRP? Around $56,000? I am also curious about weather package, is it full weather package with trunk pass through, or just heated seats?
      12-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #415
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Anyone having luck with 0.9 or 1.9 financing this month? (Specifically for 09 cars.) I am getting the runaround that there are 0 financing incentives for 09 1s in December, only 08s. My dealer recommends to wait until Jan 3 to check Jan rates. Just wondering if this is done on a dealer-by-dealer basis and I need to make more calls, or if its something more universal.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #416
singular
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
Singular, it looks like your car is fully loaded, what's MSRP? Around $56,000? I am also curious about weather package, is it full weather package with trunk pass through, or just heated seats?
MRSP is $52K and change. Full cold weather package.

I assume your from "Mocba", I use to live there in the late '90s.

Love to see a photo of a 1er rolling down Tverskaya.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #417
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

I use to live there in 80s when Tverskaya had name Gorkogo. Now you can see much better cars rolling down, however verts are very unpracticle there since long winter season.
      12-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #418
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep
Drives: jb 135 on order

Quote:
Anyone having luck with 0.9 or 1.9 financing this month? (Specifically for 09 cars.) I am getting the runaround that there are 0 financing incentives for 09 1s in December, only 08s. My dealer recommends to wait until Jan 3 to check Jan rates. Just wondering if this is done on a dealer-by-dealer basis and I need to make more calls, or if its something more universal.
Yesterday i went to take my gf for a test drive in a 135 to see if she could fit in the back, while test driving i played dumb and was asking allot of questions and the ca said that 09's can be had with 0.9% financing. On a side note she fit in the back and said when i gunned it the seats cradled her, so shes on board!
Appreciate 0