BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
bimmer135i
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Anyone's knob coming loose??? (Manual)

I have a manual gear box and my knob seems to come loose. I have taken it to the dealership for this (they said they fixed it) and a couple of days latter it happened again. It's just really annoying that the knob randomly comes off while I'm switching gears and driving. Also when I went to the service last time, my SA said that i must be throwing it into gears to hard. I don't think thats the case but this is my fist manual car. I was wondering if anyone else has/had this problem and does anybody buy the throwing the gears into hard? (Sorry for not posting any pictures, will try to put them up latter on!)

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

duct tape
      07-30-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer135i View Post
I have a manual gear box and my knob seems to come loose. I have taken it to the dealership for this (they said they fixed it) and a couple of days latter it happened again. It's just really annoying that the knob randomly comes off while I'm switching gears and driving. Also when I went to the service last time, my SA said that i must be throwing it into gears to hard. I don't think thats the case but this is my fist manual car. I was wondering if anyone else has/had this problem and does anybody buy the throwing the gears into hard? (Sorry for not posting any pictures, will try to put them up latter on!)

Thanks in advance!
Hmm....throwing it into gear too hard?
I don't buy that.

You don't ever need to pull up or down on the knob to change gears. Are you buy any chance lifting up on your knob when changing gears?

Having the knob come off while driving can be very disconcerting. The dealer needs to fix this, and stop blaming you. They need to simply figure out how to fix it, the end.

Have you asked them what they did to fix it?
If you never intend to remove it, you could crazy glue it in place.
Then, if it ever had to be removed to change it, you'll have to cut it open and use some nail polish remover to dissolve the glue to take it off completely.
Or, if they can't it to stay, try and aftermarket knob.
I have Momo that I used on my A4 and it's sweet. Nice weight and looks very cool. I was going to put it in my 135i but never got around to it.
Now that you reminded me, I may have to put it on.

Here's the one I have, the knob:
http://www.momousa.com/products/sphe...ft-knob-8.html

The boot:
http://www.momousa.com/products/performance.html
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
BMW_x5_Msport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5f15

I would just take it back!
premium package
sport package
comfort access
premium hi-fi system
navigation that plays dvds
real time trafic ect.
ipod,hd,sat,
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 02:32 AM   #5
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

My 1er is also my first manual car and the knob's never been a problem. Tell your dealer to stop beinga knob himself and fix your problem.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0