BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

[EOI] Winton track day 13 Dec 2008 by OzRenesis

Mazda RX-8 Club of Victoria have been advised that we can have Saturday December 13th 2008 for a track day if we can get deposit in to them by mid October.

At this point the cost of the day is going to be $250 and EXCLUDES timing. There will be a maximum of 30 participants, so as usual with our days, more expensive but more track time and less track traffic.

At this point I am attempting to see who is interested. If I get enough interest in the next 2 weeks I will continue with it and people will have 2 weeks to get a deposit in. Deposits will need to be in within 2 weeks and will be refunded if we don't get enough interest.

So who is interested?

1addict (2):
WAY
smarm

RX-8 Club (7):
auzoom
Taka
Revolver
Black-8 + 3 friends

Club itr (3):
Vincent
air23box
BLKSTN

YOU WILL NEED:
  • Long sleeve and long pants of non flammable materials i.e. No Nylon
  • AASA license which can be bought on the day for $50 or CAMS L2S (if you bought a license last time you don't need to this time). If you want to organise AASA earlier (HERE). Make sure you get a number from Winton/AASA if you don't have a card made in time.
  • Closed footwear
  • Helmet that complies to Australian Standards (has ASA or Snell Sticker)
  • Car needs to be in a good condition, no oil leaks, no loose items in the car and battery secure.
  • Good condition tyres
  • Working seatbelt (give it a pull and make sure it locks)
Reply to this thread, or PM me with your email, and we will pass on the club bank details. We are setting $100 for deposit and as we said, will be refunded if it does not go ahead.

auzoom and takahashi
OzRenesis
Mazda RX-8 club of Victoria.
      09-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Taka, I am in.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 03:02 AM   #3
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

We need more 1ers there... come on!
      09-23-2008, 05:10 AM   #4
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I'll have spent 3 days at Winton the weekend prior, so to be honest I wouldn't get the same buzz throwing my 1er around.

That said if a good 1er group shows up I'll come for a look, and can even give some tips if people want.
      09-23-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Prof? Smarm? Canberra and Sydney people? Come on, we need to show the RX-8 guys that our cars handle better even on a tight track like Winton!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, if you don't mind a slow road based 1er, then I'm in. Let me know the account to pay the deposit into.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 06:57 AM   #7
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

All our cars are roads based Smarm!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 07:00 AM   #8
smarm
Rep
Drives:

Some are more track focused then others Way!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
smarm
Rep
Drives:

Actually, I should have a set of rims/tyres by then, with the AA unit, it'll be reasonable.

Prof will still beat me!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #10
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

No problem smarm. Everyone can do this.

AASA license can be arrange on the day. But if you really want to organise it beforehand. Let me find out the link. HERE

WAY, you sig is awfully long.
      09-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #11
smarm
Rep
Drives:

Bugger it, just checked my calendar.

I'm on for work from the 8th until the 19th.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #12
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Bummer... the person with the Beamer, you need to do a swap in the shift mate! Where is your priority!
      09-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

:iono:Come on people. It is really pathetic that you go to "cruising" every month and yet there is safer option not being taken
      09-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #14
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep

takahashi, whilst I definitely 100% believe a race track is A LOT safer, the lack of insurance coverage is probably scarring some people off. If the unfortunate happens on a cruise, you have insurance to protect you. On a race track......nothing.

I'm happy to live with that with a racecar as one, it is designed to withstand crashes with minimal damage, and two is designed to be repaired more easily. eg. slamming sideways at 75km/h into the armco at Sandown cost $3000 to repair. In a road car, that would also be write-off stuff if the b-pillar got bent.

So I will take my 135i onto a race track, but I will do so very selectively based on track and event. Ironically number 1 on my do not visit with a road car is Sandown. Albert Park GP circuit has heaps more room at critical points, and for a "road" circuit that is saying a lot.

My 2-cents worth.
      09-26-2008, 09:33 PM   #15
hummel
catching up...
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
takahashi, whilst I definitely 100% believe a race track is A LOT safer, the lack of insurance coverage is probably scarring some people off. If the unfortunate happens on a cruise, you have insurance to protect you. On a race track......nothing.

I'm happy to live with that with a racecar as one, it is designed to withstand crashes with minimal damage, and two is designed to be repaired more easily. eg. slamming sideways at 75km/h into the armco at Sandown cost $3000 to repair. In a road car, that would also be write-off stuff if the b-pillar got bent.

So I will take my 135i onto a race track, but I will do so very selectively based on track and event. Ironically number 1 on my do not visit with a road car is Sandown. Albert Park GP circuit has heaps more room at critical points, and for a "road" circuit that is saying a lot.

My 2-cents worth.
Well said and exactly what I was thinking.

I only have the one car and it's a company car, don't feel like paying out a lease for the next 3years with no car.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 11:19 PM   #16
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
This is the EXACT thing I don't want you to say. You have lost my respect once you say that. I am sorry, you prob have not think through that enough when you write this. And I certainly hope you do not think that way. I hope you just mean that OTHER people think that way.

However, it is a true fact about insurance, but I enter that particularly debate in the last few years about the exact same point. I don't believe I have to tell you all about this here because I think all BMW drivers are mature enough to work it out yourself.

No hummel this is not well said AT ALL. I am sorry. I will tell you what I think. Then you think it through carefully before you guys reply to me.

Now

If you think it is safer on the track then on the road, why the hell do you drive fast on the road at all? Is that because insurance will back you up, then you think you can behave in such the way on the public road, while there is a much safer and absolutely legal alternatives to do the exact same thing. That is my whole point.

That is why advance and performance driving courses exist. To serve the public and get the hoon off the street (sorry I have to use the "h" word, but how true is that). Racetrack is where you can explore the speed. NOT ON THE PUBLIC ROAD.

People who owns a single sport car in garage and love to drive fast (over the speed limit and limit of the car). My advice is either:

1) don't drive fast at all and enjoy the look of the car or 2) come to somewhere that is safe to do so and 3) yes, don't drive fast at all in your company car. It is technically not yours.

I am sorry I am emotional about this. But I really want to get this message across.

I put up my hand to organise these thing because I feel like this is the proper way to do so. There is a lot of people taking up on this method to cure their itch. If you think you don't want to crash on that particular track day, keep the traction control on and drive 8/10 of your ability. Then you are safe on the track. Most track day are well run and you are extremely unlikely to come in contact with other cars. I have my fair share of crashes in my road car myself. I know what it feels like.
      09-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #17
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep

takahashi, I think you're reading between the lines when there wasn't anything to read between. By that I mean, what I was trying to say is when you drive on a public road (whether that is the drive to work, supermarket, or on a cruise), you will be covered by insurance. Of course do something illegal (eg. exceed the speed limit), and then when the predictable accident happens, and don't expect insurance.

On a racetrack regardless of the situation (except driver education is covered under some policies) you get zero cover. I'm guessing that is what scares people with road cars away from racetracks.

I am not suggesting, recommending or commenting that driving beyond the speed limit, the car's ability, or the driver's ability is okay on public roads cause you have insurance to cover the costs.

Now considering I've never actually taken part in a cruise before, I can't comment on driving standards that you believe may exist on a cruise. That said, when I take part in the Oct Melb cruise I'll be maintaining the same standards of driving that I always do on the road. And to date I've had one speeding offense in +10 yrs of driving, but since it was less than 10km/h I got it swapped for a warning. And when I got the itch to go fast a few years back, I got myself a racecar and that cured that problem.

So I suppose that means I agree with what you are saying. I was just trying to suggest a reason why people may be more willing to participate in a cruise on public roads, compared to a track based activity.
      09-28-2008, 05:39 AM   #18
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Thank you for that AussieRacer,

Just came back from a 70+ sprint days at Winton. Only one accident. Not sure about details but yes it can happen.

I advise to go to something that is cather for beginners. I am so glad that you put your hand up, aussieracer, to lend a hand to help the first timer.

It is really important and not many people like me who is fortunate enough to have Jamie Wincup in their passenger seat :wink:

BTW: AussieRacer, the last post I made is upon the receipt of a county court subpoena as an expert witness on a case in which I was the pathologist performed the autopsy on a motor vehicle accident victim. So you must understand my feeling. My apologies if I upset you.
      09-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #19
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Just read the emotional response from Taka. I have to say that he is right, as much as I have to admit to being a hoon occasionally on the roads. And I can understand why he gets emotional about this as well, being a pathologist and having worked as an ER doctor in the past and seeing the sort of things that most of us here don't see.

On another note, pretty good time at Winton yesterday. Yes it isn't your fastest ever, but you were up there! Wished you had done it in a 135i instead so you could promote the car haha. But I really doubt a standard 135i would be as fast as your car at Winton though!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #20
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

I have regained my manhood by doing 1.42s without driving all out!

Skill has improved but my curage is not there, not like before anyway.

You will be surprised how quick a stock car can be at Winton. EVO X stock is around 1:40-1:41 in a racer.