BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Got covered in caution tape while driving 401

I was driving in the 1er on the 401 heading eastbound in the express this morning around 12:30AM when all of a sudden the dark coloured Honda Civic ahead of me and one lane to the right looks like its suddenly spewing yellow caution tape everywhere. To be honest I can't tell if the car occupants threw the tape out the window or if they got caught in it from another car somehow but it sure looked like it came from the car or at least was all over their car seemingly from nowhere.

Anyway the tape buffeted by the wind starts encompassing the front end of my car to the point where my forward visibility is more than partially obstructed. Keep my cool continue to drive straight and after about a minute or so the tape washes over my car and gets stuck on the corner of my rear bumper such that I'm now dragging several meters of caution tape all over the 401.

Called the OPP and reported the Civic and its license plate to the call center. Pulled over at the next exit and pulled the tape off my car and the road. Follow up with the OPP and they advised they'll contact me if they need me but thats it. Bleh. Doubt they're going to even look into it. This has got to be some violation of the HTA at least. If someone threw this out the window and a less than calm driver got wrapped in it they might have had an accident.

Here's an idea of how much of this stuff covered my car. This is only some of it as the rest blew away. Would having this happen to you piss you off as much as it pissed me off?

Name:  tape.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  57.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Jettt
Gun Slinger
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow and with caution

So hold on?...

Tape flew on to your car and you called the cops.

You should have brought in the tape so they can take it for evidence.... lmao
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
barnsdale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6MT AY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettt View Post
So hold on?...

LOL

It's pretty dangerous..I probably wouldn't have called the cops but I would have been pretty ticked off
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettt
So hold on?...

The tape might have been thrown from the car in front of me intentionally. My entire forward visibility was masked. Think what might have happened if I were on a motorcycle. Do you think that kind of prank should go unreported? What else is okay to throw from a car at 100km/hr? That's not a joke to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
The tape might have been thrown from the car in front of me intentionally. My entire forward visibility was masked. Think what might have happened if I were on a motorcycle. Do you think that kind of prank should go unreported? What else is okay to throw from a car at 100km/hr? That's not a joke to me.
Agreed, if that tape was thrown out of the Civic intentionally, I would report it as you did. Lucky you got a plate number, but don't hold your breath waiting for the police to get back to you.
      09-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
By the way I didn't mean to come off as if I were attacking you for sharing your opinion since I clearly asked for it I was just wondering if you had considered some of the possible dangers that could have happened before forming that opinion. I wasn't expecting to get laughed at mind you (except by the pranksters who might have done it mind you) but its the Internet so whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Agreed, if that tape was thrown out of the Civic intentionally, I would report it as you did. Lucky you got a plate number, but don't hold your breath waiting for the police to get back to you.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Based on the conversations I had with the police following the incident I would certainly agree with you...not holding any breath.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Jettt
Gun Slinger
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow and with caution

Quote:
Yes, I guess they must have really hated bmw that much that when they saw you in the rear view they decided to throw tape at you so you could die?...

It could have been on the road for a long time... and dragging from many different cars.

You say you think it came from their car, but it also could have came from the car infront of them.

And now you could have given the police an innocent mans plate.

Lets not get into the "what ifs" because the possibilities are endless... What if the tape, were ak 47 bullets being shot out of a gun and you were in a convertible!?!?! lol What if you were driving a truck and couldnt care less about the tape... lol

I would have just tried to catch up and have a look at the ppl inside the car. See if they look like hooligans... n if so then start chucking shit infront of them lol

What if it was a 75 year old woman driving lolol You know what I mean?

Cops have alot of other real things to deal with. Let them work on that. Dont waste their time with giving them ppl who you "think" threw tape at you.
Appreciate 0