BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2010, 02:03 AM   #1
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
HPFP Fail is Scary!!

My pump from the factory failed a long time ago, but it just gave me long cranks and some slight hesitations now and then. I had that replaced before it failed completely. My 2nd pump starts failing 1000mile after replacing the factory pump, again, long cranks and no limp mode, UNTIL TODAY! After maybe 5000miles since it initially acting up, it finally just gave up. I should've replaced it long ago, but taking it to the dealership is just an extra chore that I didn't feel like doing. BAD IDEA.

Anyways, today, my wife and I with one other friend decided to go to the outlet, do some shopping and enjoy the great weather we're having here in SoCal, the trip is ~60miles one way. On the way there, probably around mid point, the car started making this weird noise every time I step on the gas. I thought it might be a nail (I's like damn hit 2nails in one month that would suck). No warning on the dash, but since I still hear the noise so I got out of the freeway and get on the streets to check it out. nothing, checked tire pressure, everything is fine. I open up the hood to see if something is loose or leaking, everything is fine, no weird smell or anything. Start the car up, go around the block getting on the gas hard. Everything seems normal again. We think it might just be the way the road was paved. So we get back in the car, and continue.
Got to the outlet, did some shopping, probably 4hrs later, we head back home. The car starts w/ a 2sec crank (seems normal for a failing pump). hop on the freeway and when we're going up the incline (pretty steep) I feel 4 to 5 micro burst of hesitations, each lasted just a split second. Then almost when we got to the top of the incline, 1/2 engine light, Check Engine Soon light came on. I's like Sh*t! I've been commuting (12miles one way) in this car for over 3months since the first long crank on this pump, and now it decide to fail on me!? While it's all dark, in some rural area, 50miles away from home and with two female passengers

Traffic was smooth for another 20miles or so, then we hit the hell hole 101/405 interchange area, slow stop and go traffic... every time after I stop, and need to inch up, the car feels like it wants to stall. Basically it has no power. got pass that w/o stalling, thank god. So after that, it's pretty smooth all the way home, until I'm like 100ft from my driveway, there's a stop sign. I came to a full stop, then when I try to get going again, the car move for like 1 car length then Stalled, in the middle of the intersection!!
Luckily there were no traffic, and I could get it started again pretty much right away and pull into my driveway safely.

But Man, this totally SUCKS. It's like a freaking time bomb, and you don't know when it's gonna blow!

My mod friendly service advisor is off on Monday, so, the earliest I could take the car in is Tue. I've already made an appointment. But then, I'm not sure if I'm gonna risk going to work on Monday on a Limp Mode car...

So, after all that, I hope I've convince anyone who get long crank consistently or a 2FBF code reported by the BT tool, to just take the car in and demand it to be fixed ASAP. Don't wait! coz the HPFP bomb might blow at the WORST time imaginable.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

I thought for a minute you'd end the story with how cool and well behaved the two females were and didn't yap your ears off.

Good thing you all made it home SAFE. Your dealer must seriously suck for you to prefer putting up with the bad pump vs. getting it fixed by them if it's really that big of a chore...or we're you just lazy?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Someone mentioned a while back that the additives they put in the fuel in the US may cause seal erosion on the HPFP. Does anyone have anything to back this up ?
      01-31-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
Brad135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 FiST

D*mn. So BMW doesn't know what is causing the failures. But they do know that the pumps are failing.

So...when does our recall start? Or does is it going to take a class action to force them into doing what is right?

Toyota learned how damaging a "wait and see" attitude can be.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
1NNO_35
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post
Someone mentioned a while back that the additives they put in the fuel in the US may cause seal erosion on the HPFP. Does anyone have anything to back this up ?
Well, haven't noticed many HPFP failures in EU area ... Well, I cross my fingers that I am blessed not to see that ever in my life.

Is that rumour of US gas just a legend of Shell coffeetable ? Or is that for real ?

Well, while you guys are sending us the after-market products, maybe we could trade 'em for fuel (kidding.. I hope they solve this ASAP at BMW)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Indeed the failure exists in Europe too. Mine will be one of them soon. The longer cranks have started yet. I got in touch with my dealer and he gave me an appointment within two weeks for software checking.
They don't admit the HPFP problems at once. Belgium is indeed a too small market for that kind of cars. Probably BMW only sold a dozens of 135's here and maybe three times as many 335's
Appreciate 0