BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

How can I tell whether my oil has been changed?

I brought my 128i to the dealership for my first intermediate (on my dime) oil change at 7500 miles.

Since the oil level is not on "max", one quarter below max, as it was for one week before I dropped the car, I am actually wondering whether they even changed oil.

Since there is not a dipstick to check the color of the oil (tough with full synthethic still), anyone has a tip for judging whether the oil and filters have been changed?

Also should I ask them to top the level to "max"?
      03-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The only sure way to know is to change the oil yourself. Or... take your car to someone you trust. This is why I always change my own oil.

You could remove the oil filter cap/cover and see what the oil looks like in there. Come to think of it... since this was your first oil service/change... there is a little green dot on the outer edge of the oil filter cap. When you change the filter the two dots do not match up - normally. Unless your tech has OCD condition!

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandenhaute View Post
I brought my 128i to the dealership for my first intermediate (on my dime) oil change at 7500 miles.

Since the oil level is not on "max", one quarter below max, as it was for one week before I dropped the car, I am actually wondering whether they even changed oil.

Since there is not a dipstick to check the color of the oil (tough with full synthethic still), anyone has a tip for judging whether the oil and filters have been changed?

Also should I ask them to top the level to "max"?
As long as it does not read LOW add 1 quart etc etc then it is ok.

That "max" is just that.. its just like the 2 lines on an old dip-stick.. as long as it was inbetween both lines your were ok. same here.

If its low it will say 1 qt low etc etc etc ..

There really isnt any way to tell, maybe open the filter and look at it, it will be wet and oily, but it should look "new" recent...
      03-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

trusting the bmw techs about changing the oil is really an issue especially if you ask them to change it before the 15k mile intervals..
If you go to the technician and ask to get an oil change, they take a look at the last service done and then tell you its not due for a few thousand miles and then give you a bad look when you say do it anyways, thats when you suspect its not done...
Im gonna start doing my own oil changes here in Germany.. They gimme bad looks all the time.. lol
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hidden cameras in engine bay investigative reporting style. If you actually caught them not performing work they charged you for it would make for interesting conversation.
      03-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
BSM 335I
Sir Boost-a-Lot
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
To be honest I was able to tell the difference in performance immediately after they changed it. I would def hang on to those service papers though just in case.

All in all if you feel that the oil wasn't changed or have a concern just bring her back. This is effing BMW service for crying out loud not KIA! (no offense to all my KIA fanbois)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by romak47 View Post
trusting the bmw techs about changing the oil is really an issue especially if you ask them to change it before the 15k mile intervals..
They gimme bad looks all the time.. lol
As long as I pay the bill, I've never gotten a dirty look from a BMW tech when requesting an "interim" oil change. And I've been doing just that since 1999 when the extended change intervals accompanied the introduction of OEM synthetic oil for the US models.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Thanks for the comments, I will have a closer look at my oil filter.

I do not feel a difference in the way the car moves, again it is only 7000 miles and I did a scrupulous break in, plus being a manual, I play sometimes with the high rotation for making sure that nice six in line expresses itself...

I know they opened the hood at least since they made an adjustment at the latch and added oil there (without me to ask and did it free of charge).

It might be just me freaking out... Just that I like that car so much that I want to make sure I have looooooots of happy miles with it.

I had a Mercedes A170CDi for which I made intermediate oil changes (at Mercedes cost, horrible) and when I blew my turbo at 70,000km, the (new) dealer realised that filters had never been changed... so much for my money...
      03-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romak47 View Post
If you go to the technician and ask to get an oil change, they take a look at the last service done and then tell you its not due for a few thousand miles and then give you a bad look when you say do it anyways, thats when you suspect its not done...
Im gonna start doing my own oil changes here in Germany.. They gimme bad looks all the time.. lol

Well... part of the problem is that an oil change over here costs about 280 euros ($389 USd!) for regular Germans. Us Americans are used to paying just a few dollars($8) per liter for oil. While the Germans pay 23 euros PER liter!

IF you figue 23 euros per liter of BMW oil and one hours labor at 110 euros per, plus 10 euros for the oil filter, you get to my 280 euro price. Perhaps that is why your tech looks at you funny.

I will always change my own oil. Its fun, plus I know the job is getting done right. Plus, I can sleep better knowing it was chaged and MY own oil was used.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 05:29 AM   #10
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

hmmm perhaps this is why i have not been getting good sleep lately..

gonna be doin my own changes from now on. sheesh.
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #11
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I change a lot of cars oil. In addition to my own, we do oil change events at my church every quarter of a year (we will be doing one 3/19). I do 6-10 cars at each of these.

I provided that background to say that my 128i is one of the very easiest cars I have ever changed. The only one that might have been better was a buick with the oil filter right down next to the drain plug and no pan underneith (might have originally had one but it wasn't there by the time it got to me). Even if you've never done this before, you can do it.

You need a drip pan for the oil, ramps or a jack to get the car up in the air a bit, a cap wrench for the filter (Bavarian has them for a good price), a socket or wrench for the drain plug (mine is 17mm) and the cap wrench for the filter. You can probably pay for all this on the first oil change. You can probably also throw away the drip pan each time if you do not have a good place to store it. Around here I can either take the used oil to the local recycling station run by the county or to an Advance Auto parts store. Neither place charges anything to take the used oil (they shouldn't because it can be recycled and used - it still has value). There are articles in the DIY area with pictures (I did one for my 128i and I know there is one for the 135i which is only a little harder (due to the drain plug coming out at an angle which can be a bit messier)).

Jim
      03-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

When I was looking for a DIY guide for changing my oil... I saw JimD's wonderful DIY guide on his 128i. I did not find any on the 135i back at that time. So... I just posted my oil change photos in his thread. For those of you who are thinking about changing your own oil - DO IT! It really is so easy. Here is the thread incase someone is too lazy to search for it!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ght=oil+change

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

I change engine oil myself, thats how i know it was done. And it was done very well, probably as well or better than anybody else, because i care about my car. And nobody gives me dirty looks and i dont have to pay a lot for the job i will never know was done correctly or if it was done at all.
Appreciate 0