Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIN M View Post
poco a poquito, poco a poquito...you're coming around

You'll have a tune in that puppy before you know it
Temptations temptations!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #24
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
IIRC there's a Russian (?) 1M just had Corsas put on. If you are putting on the Corsas, then why not wait till the MPSC2?
Right; I remember a Russian forum member calling the Corsas as best tire for 1M but don't recall any details.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #25
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Right; I remember a Russian forum member calling the Corsas as best tire for 1M but don't recall any details.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792146
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #26
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Did you use Pirelli P Zero Corsa system in the past? I know you didn't on your 1M but on another car or a friend whose car is familiar to you?

Since these Corsas are among the well known street/track combo tires and they are the factory equipment for the E92 M3 GTS (also for Moto GP Safety Car 1M if I remember correctly) which shares the same wheels with us (just in black) I am also considering a GTS size 255/35 19 fr (Directional) and 285/30 19 re (Assym.) set as my next set so that we can benefit from the stock wheels in an ideal manner. I am undecided between the Corsas, or yet another PSS set in stock sizes or a PSS set with 275/30fr and 295/30re. I understand that new Dunlops are not really entitled as "one set for all", I heard the opposite for Corsa system that they are quite qood for street and highway too as long as you don't have too much of a rain or cold weather. Also, another good tire is Bridgestone RE-11s but while they come at our stock sizes they don't in 285/30 rears.
I have not run Pirelli Corsas or Trofeo Rs, but have some thoughts on them based on other tests. I have run RE-11s on another car.

I agree the Corsas sound a little more streetable than the Dunlops, probably better down to cooler temps. The downside is they are probably a little little slower at the track. The Maxx Race are supposed to be in the same ballpark as the Trofeo R, and that tire is significantly quicker than the Corsa from all reports.

The RE-11s are great in the wet and very usable in cooler temps. Also the stiffer sidewall should make them work better with the stock 1M alignment. Again I think they should be much more streetable than the Maxx Race but a little slower on the track (assuming alignment cures the issues I was having).

I got camber plates and dialed in -2.6 degrees up front. I may have a chance to try the car at an event Saturday, if so I'll report back.
      05-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #27
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Thanks a lot, didn't find time myself to dig it! I poured lots of questions at that thread
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #28
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
I have not run Pirelli Corsas or Trofeo Rs, but have some thoughts on them based on other tests. I have run RE-11s on another car.

I agree the Corsas sound a little more streetable than the Dunlops, probably better down to cooler temps. The downside is they are probably a little little slower at the track. The Maxx Race are supposed to be in the same ballpark as the Trofeo R, and that tire is significantly quicker than the Corsa from all reports.

The RE-11s are great in the wet and very usable in cooler temps. Also the stiffer sidewall should make them work better with the stock 1M alignment. Again I think they should be much more streetable than the Maxx Race but a little slower on the track (assuming alignment cures the issues I was having).

I got camber plates and dialed in -2.6 degrees up front. I may have a chance to try the car at an event Saturday, if so I'll report back.
Thanks a lot, very good feedback as usual.

Very much like the new Dunlops, PZero Trofeo R may be just too much for me as I don't seem to have chances of taking the car to a track plus I heard that they are not easy to get anywhere, for international buyers tire rack doesn't even list them for instance. I don't know (didn't check) if they have direct fit sizes for our stock wheels too.

On the other hand, Corsas have two advantages: reported acceptable street manners with great grip, second only to tires like Trofeos, this is first advantage; second is the perfect size they are available for the 1M; 255/35 and 285/30. Both PSS and RE-11 do not offer those sizes. I am not talking about the price here!

So for anyone who share my concerns about tires, good choices look like:
a) stick with stock sizes, either in PSS or RE-11; track frequency should determine which one is a better bet (almost all street then go PSS, some or frequent track then better go with RE-11)
b) go oversize: PSS with 275/30 fr and 295/30 re may be a direct fit or other adventures.
c) go perfect size like the M3 GTS: for now there is Corsas, in 255/35 and 285/30 size and for a price.
d) buy 18 inch wheels and start thinking all over again.

Lots of other tires available, yes, but as far as I know they are not offering the same level of compromises like the above, lacking in something important, either a good size or road manners or the level of wet/dry compromise.

Price is out of my consideration for the moment, since I am just thinking and not yet buying.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #29
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post

Is that camber setting set-it-and-forget-it or are you changing it for street and track?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #30
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot, very good feedback as usual.

Very much like the new Dunlops, PZero Trofeo R may be just too much for me as I don't seem to have chances of taking the car to a track plus I heard that they are not easy to get anywhere, for international buyers tire rack doesn't even list them for instance. I don't know (didn't check) if they have direct fit sizes for our stock wheels too.

On the other hand, Corsas have two advantages: reported acceptable street manners with great grip, second only to tires like Trofeos, this is first advantage; second is the perfect size they are available for the 1M; 255/35 and 285/30. Both PSS and RE-11 do not offer those sizes. I am not talking about the price here!

a) stick with stock sizes, either in PSS or RE-11; track frequency should determine which one is a better bet (almost all street then go PSS, some or frequent track then better go with RE-11)
b) go oversize: PSS with 275/30 fr and 295/30 re may be a direct fit or other adventures.
c) go perfect size like the M3 GTS: for now there is Corsas, in 255/35 and 285/30 size and for a price.

Lots of other tires available, yes, but as far as I know they are not offering the same level of compromises like the above, lacking in something important, either a good size or road manners or the level of wet/dry compromise.

Price is out of my consideration for the moment, since I am just thinking and not yet buying.
I ended up going with AD08s on staggered 18"s over the RE-11s. They're still being broken in so we'll see how it goes next month. Other compelling choices are the upcoming AD08R, RE-11A, Rivals, and Z2s...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #31
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Is that camber setting set-it-and-forget-it or are you changing it for street and track?
The plan is for that to be set it and forget it. I emailed Dunlop but have no guidance yet on target cambers or pressures, so I'll be checking temps and wear to see if that's about right.
      05-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #32
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:

So why would you leave out the AD08? Road manners?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #33
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
So why would you leave out the AD08? Road manners?
Didn't consider them seriously but I guess the fact that they are not as comfortable or silent as PSS, yes road manners that I heard about them, and probably only slightly better on dry, but almost for sure not as good when wet, slightly heavier than PSS, W speed rating instead of Y (tuned or unlimited 1Ms beware!) and not even cheaper than PSS (a set comes at a higher price by tire rack) puts them away for me. I don't see the point what they are great, I mean exceptional at sincerely, and with that tread design so childish and old fashioned looking to my eyes, they have to be best in something! I am sure I am being very unfair to them but wanted to reply sincerely

At the end of the day I don't see the point of putting them instead of a PSS or RE-11 set or just open the wallet and go really expensive for something that might be really special, Yokohoma tires are always seem to be "satisfactory" and just that. They can be really great for another guy for some reason but I do limited mileage with my beloved 1M, enjoying all the time and just want the best of the best for it as running shoes.

I know this was not a very scientific answer

Last edited by ozinaldo; 05-16-2013 at 12:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #34
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:

I know this was not a very scientific answer
LOL.
Guys in my local autocross club like them over the RE-11 for competitive street tires. Hot dry climate.

I agree that the tread pattern is hideous!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #35
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
LOL.
Guys in my local autocross club like them over the RE-11 for competitive street tires. Hot dry climate.

Yeap it is, on another note if they come in good sizes the RE-11A can be a serious alternative for the actual darling of most 1M owners, the PSS. Reviewers in tire rack can't seem to hold their tears of joy but just toy car sizes till now. That is one good looking tire too! Want to believe that they will have some 19 inch sizes in the future.

Just calculated that a Corsa system 255/35 and 285/30 set is almost 1000 USD (close to double) more expensive than a 275/30and 295/30 PSS set, it is depressive!

Last edited by ozinaldo; 05-16-2013 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 01:46 AM   #36
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
LOL.

My general impression from reading multiple forums is that for the track (i.e. heat resistance): AD08 > RE11 > PSS

Wet and overall street performance: PSS > RE11 > AD08

YMMV.

I do have to say that although the AD08 tread pattern looks caricatured and grotesque in pictures it isn't horrifically offensive on the car. It's relatively well-concealed and I barely notice them.

Last edited by ayao; 05-16-2013 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #37
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Just reading more info on the Porsche forums, and Trofeo R might be the way to go for me. Doesn't last as long as the Corsas but cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #38
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Just reading more info on the Porsche forums, and Trofeo R might be the way to go for me. Doesn't last as long as the Corsas but cheaper.
How much approximately and from what source you get the price info?

By the way, I noticed that they (Trofeo R) do come in our stock sizes as well but not in 255/35 or 285/30. Naturally with the level of grip they should provide, sticking with stock sizes may be good enough for most:

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca..._trofeo_r.html
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #39
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
How much approximately and from what source you get the price info?

By the way, I noticed that they (Trofeo R) do come in our stock sizes as well but not in 255/35 or 285/30. Naturally with the level of grip they should provide, sticking with stock sizes may be good enough for most:

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca..._trofeo_r.html
Stock sizing I have read around is between 1800-2200 depending on where. I was quoted around 2600 AUD. Corsas over 3k. Just keep it in mind that they probably will last 1/3 of the Corsas.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #40
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Stock sizing I have read around is between 1800-2200 depending on where. I was quoted around 2600 AUD. Corsas over 3k. Just keep it in mind that they probably will last 1/3 of the Corsas.
Check this one then:

http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/pirel...-r-order-page/

Seems like much cheaper there, 363 USD for fronts and 419 USD for rears, which makes a set in stock sizes cost 1564 USD, quite cheaper than Corsa System too. I am not sure they ship internationally though.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #41
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Check this one then:

http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/pirel...-r-order-page/

Seems like much cheaper there, 363 USD for fronts and 419 USD for rears, which makes a set in stock sizes cost 1564 USD, quite cheaper than Corsa System too. I am not sure they ship internationally though.
I know, but we still get taxed here, plus custom fees, plus postage. I ended up not saving as much and just a bunch of hassles.
Appreciate 0