BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-27-2011, 01:53 AM   #1
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Restoration project

Since this is an enthusiasts thread I thought I would utilise the incredible 1addicts brain resource for the following -

Next year I am planning a full restoration project. I have plenty of time to prepare for this so I would like to have a plan B should plan A fizz out, which it is looking a little like doing.

Plan A is a 74 / 75 Alfa Romeo GTV. One of the prettiest cars to come from Alfa. Still relatively cheap to buy as a starting point. Most of the mechanicals I understand. However it would appear that parts supply is unreliable and I don't want the whole project stalled over difficult to obtain parts. Which brings me to plan B. I've started a list of potential restorees - If anyone has suggestions please feel free to contribute. I am not looking to make a big profit out of the project. Break even would be good but I know even that is often not the case. Profit if I'm lucky. Also, if I really like the finished product I will keep it anyway. But mostly for me the fun is in doing a fantastic restoration.

1. E30 M3 top of the list. However the market has already run with these and there's very little potential for even getting my money back.

2. BMW 3.0 CSi. Gorgeous coupe one the best lookers from BMW and a very close second place for me.

3. BMW 2002Tii. The round tail light version. Fantastic little car. Plenty of parts and still fun to drive.

4. Honda Integra type R. The DC2 model. This is a sleeper in the market which in my opinion will have it's day as a collectable. Fantastic to drive, in a frenetic kind of a way.

5. Porsche 964 C2. Long shot and may be more money than I want to spend. Amazingly cheap to buy in the UK but a real buyer beware as much as anything is from the land of rusty hulks.

????
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
E92325i
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Gazz, as an avid Alfa Romeo fan I'd obviously take the Alfa project on but in saying this I am not sure about the parts availability. I know their are plenty of people in the Alfa circles that know of part suppliers for the older cars so maybe worth asking on www.ausalfa.com where there are some very knowledgeable people (relatively small community though) or maybe check out/post of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club which seem to be much into the older Alfa stuff

Failing the Alfa project i'd go for the 3.0CSI which is a personal favourite of mine from the old bmw's
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
4. Honda Integra type R. The DC2 model. This is a sleeper in the market which in my opinion will have it's day as a collectable. Fantastic to drive, in a frenetic kind of a way.
????
Really?????? DC2 hmmm JDM or OZ Spec?
      05-27-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Sounds like an awesome plan, wish I have the skills to do this

my vote would be for the type r
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

E-Type?

One of my late friend loved them, and he explained that the appreciation offsets the cost. The only thing is that he is such an astute restorer that he will manufacturer his own part if he cannot find the correct part.

Unfortunately he stated most references are wrong, and unfortunately his knowledge is gone with him .
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:17 AM   #6
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

from that list. it would have to be the full batman spec 3.0 or the 2002tii

WAAAAAANNT

Last edited by 130iguy; 05-27-2011 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #7
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92325i View Post
Gazz, as an avid Alfa Romeo fan :

Thanks mate - most parts are available but some aren't anymore. I just don't want to have to wait 6 months for something like a front left window winder.

Failing the Alfa project i'd go for the 3.0CSI which is a personal favourite of mine from the old bmw's:cool

Beautiful aren't they? Love the pencil thin roof pillars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus135i View Post
Really?????? DC2 hmmm JDM or OZ Spec?
Just my opinion and I'm no expert. Doesn't matter which, like em both but the JDM may be too full on for me as driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
E-Type? .
Too expensive. British electrics is an arcane and mysterious black art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iguy View Post
from that list. it would have to be the full batman spec 3.0 or the 2002tii

Have you seen the cost of the CSLs? Yikes. I actually prefer the CSi, much more elegant. 2002 is a definite front runner too.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #8
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Have you seen the cost of the CSLs? Yikes. I actually prefer the CSi, much more elegant. 2002 is a definite front runner too.

yeh i agree CSi's are very very very sexy.. i reckon the 2002 or the honda would give you the best return on your outlay

buy this http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...Cr=4&R=9148476

spend 15k

turn it into this http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...r=2&R=10483723
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:55 AM   #9
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep

seriously though gazz if you are looking to adopt a son, let me know..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #10
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

2002. Classic
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:22 AM   #11
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iguy View Post
yeh i agree CSi's are very very very sexy.. i reckon the 2002 or the honda would give you the best return on your outlay

buy this http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...Cr=4&R=9148476

spend 15k

turn it into this http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...r=2&R=10483723
I've seen that 2002 before. That would be a pretty good pickup for someone. Imagine the looks on the soccer moms faces dropping the kids off to school in it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:23 AM   #12
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
2002. Classic
Yep. Another sleeper I reckon.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #13
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i

I've always been a fan of the DC2 as well. Best looking Integra out of all of them. Would dream to restore one one day as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 04:33 AM   #14
dk130i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Blue car

Not sure if I would choose restoring old cars as a hobby if I was looking to make money or even break even.
What are you looking to get out of this?
What is your budget?
Are you looking to do the work yourself or pay others to do it?

Last edited by dk130i; 05-27-2011 at 04:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #15
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk130i View Post
Not sure if I would choose restoring old cars as a hobby if I was looking to make money or even break even.
What are you looking to get out of this?
What is your budget?
Are you looking to do the work yourself or pay others to do it?
Some, not all cars have a lot of potential for profit. Witness E30 M3s. Not long ago they were relatively cheap, even for good examples. Early 60s Porsches were out of favour, except amongst the Porschophiles, and relatively cheap but now they have leaped in price and everyone wants one. I am not an expert on anything in particular but I am always on one project or another. Have just finished a rowing shell for personal use and am currently restoring a Honda RC30 that I've had for years. Some things are profitable, some I break even on and some I take a bath on. But I always have fun and I can pretty much afford to do what ever I want. I do not plan to restore more than one car as I tend to move on to different things. With respect, this is for me, not anyone else, to judge or justify on my terms. I'm just inviting suggestions about cars to do much as I would around a diner table amongst friends.

Last edited by gazz; 05-27-2011 at 05:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 05:05 AM   #16
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
2002. Classic
Yep. Another sleeper I reckon.
Such an easy choice
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 05:53 AM   #17
dk130i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Some, not all cars have a lot of potential for profit. Witness E30 M3s. Not long ago they were relatively cheap, even for good examples. Early 60s Porsches were out of favour, except amongst the Porschophiles, and relatively cheap but now they have leaped in price and everyone wants one. I am not an expert on anything in particular but I am always on one project or another. Have just finished a rowing shell for personal use and am currently restoring a Honda RC30 that I've had for years. Some things are profitable, some I break even on and some I take a bath on. But I always have fun and I can pretty much afford to do what ever I want. I do not plan to restore more than one car as I tend to move on to different things. With respect, this is for me, not anyone else, to judge or justify on my terms. I'm just inviting suggestions about cars to do much as I would around a diner table amongst friends.
I am not judging, reason I asked questions was to make a better educated suggestion from your list of potential choices.

For example Alfas and E9s are both known to be rust buckets so cost of rust repair work is typically quite high compared to other potential choices. If your budget is unlimited than I guess it simply comes down to what you want, hunting and sourcing rare parts from around a globe can be fun if somewhat costly exercise.
I have recently completed a resto of a roundie 02 which was a steep learning curve but also a lot of fun and very rewarding.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #18
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk130i View Post
I am not judging, reason I asked questions was to make a better educated suggestion from your list of potential choices.

For example Alfas and E9s are both known to be rust buckets so cost of rust repair work is typically quite high compared to other potential choices. If your budget is unlimited than I guess it simply comes down to what you want, hunting and sourcing rare parts from around a globe can be fun if somewhat costly exercise.
I have recently completed a resto of a roundie 02 which was a steep learning curve but also a lot of fun and very rewarding.
I'm fairly new to forums and it's difficult to gauge a post sometimes so I tend to err on the defensive side. Having owned an Alfasud I am well and painfully aware of the rust problem. It was so bad in that car that I couldn't keep up with it. I would get it repaired with the view to selling it but the drive home would change my mind. Then it would start rusting again. One way to buy is to pick up a body restored car that has been a work of love in the past and looked after since. They are around. What's happening with your roundie? How often do you drive it? Do you have any pics?

What are you looking to get out of this? It's mostly to find a car I have admired in the past and restore it to a state that satisfies my memory of it.

What is your budget? $100,000+ for the right car. Obviously I won't spend that on a 2002tii but a Porsche could come close. Haven't costed a BMW 3.0 CSi yet but I'm sure it won't be cheap.

Are you looking to do the work yourself or pay others to do it? Bit of both. Eg. I wouldn't tackle the Kugelfisher fuel injection in a Tii. But I would rebuild a gearbox. I can strip and rebuild a motor and chassis running gear as long as I have a good workshop manual.

Last edited by gazz; 05-27-2011 at 06:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 06:32 AM   #19
dk130i
Private First Class
Rep

PM Sent.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #20
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Gazz, I'm sure you can imagine - I'm all for the Alfa project! But you're right would be so frustrating chasing parts all the time!

I would go a 3.0 CSi - probably one of my absolute favorite BMWs!

I would adopt an early 911 rather than a 968. 964 RS or original 3.6 RS replica would be amazing!
      05-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #21
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Gazz, I'm sure you can imagine - I'm all for the Alfa project! But you're right would be so frustrating chasing parts all the time!

I would go a 3.0 CSi - probably one of my absolute favorite BMWs!

Yes, whenever I see one I think God that's a striking car. I read a post stating "a 3.0 CSi should be parked in the entrance to BMW HQ so that the designers and engineers working there should have to walk past it every day"

QUOTE I would adopt an early 911 rather than a 968. 964 RS or original 3.6 RS replica would be amazing!QUOTE

The early Porsches have gone crazy. Even the sellers of very tired examples are aware of the potential in them and inflate the price. The 964 is sitting pretty well at the moment price wise. But this would be my last choice and I don't feel confident doing much of the work myself, which would reduce the enjoyment significantly.

I could do a 130i. I know of one that needs a major restoration.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #22
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Well to be a true 1 addict, the 2002 gets my vote as the spiritual ancestor to the E82.
Appreciate 0