BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
rusty racer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB, 2011 R8 v10 spy

Caring for my Outside Car

Hi,
I am in a bad situation in a way. I love cars and over the past few years have finally gotten a couple nice ones. A 2008 M3 interlagos blue and a Valencia Orange 1M. Problem is we live in a very urban neighborhood where garages are rare and thus we are destined to park these beauties outside. To make things worse trees are all around. No sap problems but they are throwing leaves this time of year and birds and other woodland creatures are throwing poo.

As you can immagine this all wears on the finish of the car and thus wears on me. Over the past three years I have become increasingly obsessed with trying to keep the M3 nice looking. I have what I consider a great detailer that about twice a month comes out and cleans the car and treats it with spray wax or hand wax, alternating each visit. Then once every three months we do a bigger detail and waxing. But then I got introduced to Zaino and the finished product made things worse for me as it looked so damn good that I now want the car to look like that all the time...

Then the 1M came along and now I am even more OCD about it...

I have purchased some decent car wash stuff (two bucket, meguires gold wash and shine soap, microfiber mitts and towels etc.) I am washing the cars now once a week in addition to the treatments mentioned above. But they just dull so quickly and don't keep that zaino shine like my friends cars do.

Anyone else have to keep there fine autos outside and have suggestions to keeping them looking as good as possible? I have considered car cover but putting a cover on a dirty car can lead to scratches and worsen things right?.

Thanks for any advice.

Jonathan
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Car covers...I agree that you need a clean car before putting the cover on it. My Dad has a high quality car cover for one of his cars and it is very soft inside and does a great job. It would work to keep bird shit off (you don't want that etching the paint!) as well as the leaves.
I recommend using a good quality sealant and use it often. I use Menzerna power lock and find it amazing. The paint is so slick and it cleans up so nice and easy. I can apply a quick coat of that stuff in no time. I had tried topping it with carnuba wax but wasn't overly impressed. It did add some depth to the paint but the paint lost some of the "slippery feel" from the powerlock sealant. The powerlock looks as good as Zaino but it goes on easier. It lasts a long time. If you notice the water isn't beading just add a quick coat. I am always amazed how good the car looks after just a water rinse when the sealant is new and slick. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Ban is right...make sure you get both washed, clayed and then sealed. Now I like the Griots sealant as it last long...AND you can wax over it thus adding in some sacrifice barriers. You are in NC...so its not like someplace up north, but you do have a lot of fall-out issues with trees and birds. Well, the best thing you can do, and other than NOT do anything, or wash every other day and then loose the wax is this: get yourself a lot of good Microfiber towels..fluffy big ones. Also get some waterless wash fluids..[ie.no bucket etc] and again I use the GriotsGarage Spray on wash because it works and sits nicely ON the waxed dirty surface before wiping down to a clean shiney car again. Then watch for the birdp' and get it off each day. Just don't wait on that. It will eat thru the wax and into the paint--some of it in a few hours. The resultant etchings do not come out easy if ever without re-spray.
After regular water-less washing and using severl of those towels, keep a few layers of scrifice barriers of spray wax...and you will find that your main wax will stay intact, any minor swirls that result [and they will come--it is outside, you are cleaning it on regular basis] will be to the waxed surface, and not to the paint. The car will stay clean and shiney on a regular basis, and if it gets really gritty dirty, well then it will need a proper washup but not on a regular basis, nor will you be loosing your main waxed layers...this is what I do--and others here in Bimmerhaven....and it works. Good luck...it will take some initial work to get this all layered and done right...get the right supplies, BUT it pays in less work and a nice shine when you need it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
If my 1M were going to stay outside, I would opt for a permanent sealant like Opti-coat. You won't get the depth of a Zaino, but you get the best protection from the elements. Not sure if a wax topper would bring out more depth.

Another long term wax/sealer alternative to Zaino that requires less "layering" is collinite.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Can you post some high res close in pictures of your paint with a strong light source in the background? Something like the sun or a flood light which will expose any marring or spider webbing of your paint? This is typically what leads to paint appearing "dull". If you are not polishing or glazing after claying your car than this is probably the problem.

Claying can introduce light marring into your clear coat.

Get yourself a Flex 3401 and a light polish like Menzerna 106 or Meguiars 205 on a white foam lake country pad and you should be able to re-jewel up your paint.

You might consider a stronger sealant such as Menzerna Powerlock, poor boys or FK 1000p. Personally I am not a fan of Zanio products, but to each their own.
Appreciate 0