BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #23
1MSept11
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

I would, some kind of black metal with 4 Hex screws sounds like a very good idea to me.

I would recommend everyone does this. However i've just received this email (better late than never i guess!) which makes me think maybe they dont just have to break in:

NHW NB & NW Increase in thefts of BMW vehicles, without keys, across the Midlands Region. Please check vehicles are locked
Please be aware that since January 2012, 154 BMW vehicles have been stolen from across the Midlands Region. Thieves are targetting vehicles built between 2006 and 2011 and are stealing them without the keys, as in all cases the owners still have all the keys in their possession.
Thieves are targetting vehicles on driveways and in large carparks and wait for drivers to park and leave their vehicle. Once the driver presses the key to lock the vehicle a frequency blocker intercepts the signal causing the vehicle to remain open.
The thief then enters the vehicle when the coast is clear and uses a device on the vehicle which programs a blank key. The key is then used by the offender to drive the vehicle away.
If the frequency blocker is unsuccessful, the thief will often smash a front side window of the vehicle to get in.
Four of the vehicles have been stolen from addresses in Warwickshire but it may well be that the thieves are spreading their wings and Warwickshire residents will be targetted next.
Please could we advise all BMW owners to try their door handle after using their key to lock their vehicle, to double check that it is actually locked.
Please also have a good look around when leaving the vehicle to see if you can spot anyone waiting nearby or in a vehicle in the vicinity, especially if you check and find the door to still be open.
Please report anything suspicious to Police on 101 as they are very keen to catch these offenders. Thankyou
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #24
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Jeezz 154 cars in a few months and that only in one region in the UK

Anyone an idea as to where these stolen cars could be headding? Abroad seems a bit difficult since they are RHDR
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #25
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

does the alarm not detect smashing windows?
      03-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #26
1MSept11
Rep

Apparently the police said it was 300 BMW's in the last month in the West Midlands alone!

Apparently there was a youtube clip a few months ago telling the scum how to do it and what to buy and since then its rocketed. I do hope its abroad, i dont want it back now.

Apparently the alarm isn't triggered by the smashing window, its only triggered when someone gets in the car and in a certain area. The alarm didnt go off at all. When they got the key re programmed, they simply hit unlock and it deactivated.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #27
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Time to go with an aftermarket alarm.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #28
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1M View Post
Time to go with an aftermarket alarm.
Agree...

I thought that the BMW alarm detected window shattering

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #29
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Scary. Maybe the dead spot is off on RHD drive cars, since in theory the OBD socket would be on the opposite side?

The police should raid whoever sells these things online and get their sales/shipping info. Then go after the bastards who bought 'em. High chance it's mostly thieves.

Securing the OBD port seems like a great idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #30
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Sorry to hear that.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
was hoping this was an early April fools joke. very sorry buddy
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #32
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
OP, sorry to hear.

Thieves burn in hell, so let it be written, so let it be done.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #33
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Sorry to hear about that. No defense against a gang equipped with specialized tools and experience with servicing/stealing BMW cars who were determined to steal your car.

Ask your BMW dealer to report your 1M as stolen on the international BMW network. Okay, it's highly doubtful that they will service it at a BMW dealership, but if they (or their "client") ever do, the computer will throw a code at them. I remember someone who purchased a second hand Range Rover, and during first service at an official dealership the computer indicated a conflicting VIN message.

If thieves physically change the VIN all around the car, they might not realize that BMW also stamps the VIN at some less likely spots. I remember a case of a stolen BMW 3er: the VIN was physically changed by the thieves, except for one need-to-know spot. That's how the original VIN resurfaced and the original owner got retrieved (in another European country).

Hopefully you did not leave important ID board docs inside the car, because resale without board docs is more difficult (they got to fabricate copycat docs instead of messing with the originals). On the other hand, you don't want those folks - who know where you live - to pay you a second nightly visit shortly to "collect" the docs at your house.

RHD is a handicap for resale out of the UK, so keep your eyes open for UK car sale websites. If AW represents ± 1/3 of the 450 1M sales, then resale of one of ± 150 AW 1M's might be noticeable. Maybe the future bona fide owner will visit this forum. Cannot imagine thieves will spend time and money on a repaint or wrap. VIN also indicates the original car color.

Don't sell your PSS tires yet. Maybe your 1M is retrieved shortly.

No-one inside your street heard the peculiar loud cold start noise of your 1M ?

Don't give away too many details about your car, how exactly it was stolen and how you could recognize it (eventually edit your first post), because if you simply type the words "stolen 1M" in Google, you'll end up directly on this thread. Needless to say that (potential) thieves use the Internet too...

Good luck.
      03-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #34
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

My condolences my friend. Maybe you'll have a garage in time for the new M3
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #35
pearlwhites
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, 06 CTT, 07 A8L

That's terrible... Best of luck with its return!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #36
hangover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MSept11 View Post
I would, some kind of black metal with 4 Hex screws sounds like a very good idea to me.

I would recommend everyone does this. However i've just received this email (better late than never i guess!) which makes me think maybe they dont just have to break in:

NHW NB & NW Increase in thefts of BMW vehicles, without keys, across the Midlands Region. Please check vehicles are locked
Please be aware that since January 2012, 154 BMW vehicles have been stolen from across the Midlands Region. Thieves are targetting vehicles built between 2006 and 2011 and are stealing them without the keys, as in all cases the owners still have all the keys in their possession.
Thieves are targetting vehicles on driveways and in large carparks and wait for drivers to park and leave their vehicle. Once the driver presses the key to lock the vehicle a frequency blocker intercepts the signal causing the vehicle to remain open.
The thief then enters the vehicle when the coast is clear and uses a device on the vehicle which programs a blank key. The key is then used by the offender to drive the vehicle away.
If the frequency blocker is unsuccessful, the thief will often smash a front side window of the vehicle to get in.
Four of the vehicles have been stolen from addresses in Warwickshire but it may well be that the thieves are spreading their wings and Warwickshire residents will be targetted next.
Please could we advise all BMW owners to try their door handle after using their key to lock their vehicle, to double check that it is actually locked.
Please also have a good look around when leaving the vehicle to see if you can spot anyone waiting nearby or in a vehicle in the vicinity, especially if you check and find the door to still be open.
Please report anything suspicious to Police on 101 as they are very keen to catch these offenders. Thankyou
Comfort access solves this I always press my door after closing to hear the doors locked... What's a key?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #37
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
Comfort access solves this I always press my door after closing to hear the doors locked... What's a key?
within a few meters of you they can detect your key's signal and therefore unlock using remote devices.

it's been done before
      03-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #38
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Im about to buy this unit and use it on my car with an old service key i forgot to give back. To further detail us maybe? Is there any way to code your ecu against this. I just dont understand how it can be this easy.

I have a lojack early warning detection system but i feel like even that wouldnt stop them.

Have any been stolen in the US?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #39
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

This is blowing my mind.

Is there anyway we can plate off our obd 2 port?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #40
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

I'm very sorry for your loss. I have the feeling that BMW will be forced to address this issue very soon because the lawyers are already salivating.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #41
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

Can t they trace the car with BMW assist?
      03-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #42
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by M///1rider View Post
. I just dont understand how it can be this easy.
I have a lojack early warning detection system but i feel like even that wouldnt stop them.Have any been stolen in the US?
Well there is really no way to stop an organized car theft ring. A few year ago here in SoCal hundreds of late model Corvettes were being stolen. The thieves would target cars in parking lots near movie theaters and malls. After the owner went in they would just pull up in a tow truck hook the car and tow it away with the alarm sounding off and all. After a couple of miles they would pull over destroy the alarm and toss the LoJack. The cars were chopped and the parts transported to Mexico within hours of the car being stolen.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #43
1MSept11
Rep

BMW assist? Not sure. I did think there was an inbuilt SIM card but not too sure.

Does anyone in the UK know if its recovered, does it go down as a stolen recovered? Maybe an obvious question but is it categorised?

I thought it would be CAT as stolen recovered if it wasn't returned to the owner. If I do get it back and it is a stolen recovered Category, then I will try my hardest to get BMW to pay for the loss of value.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #44
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
Holy that's kinda scary Dack!
Makes me wonder which would be better, installing a GPS tracker or just relocating the OBD port
better yet, relocate the port, but leave the original in place and not connected... you will appreciate the look on their faces
Appreciate 0