BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #67
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

Man this is horrible. How is it that easy to steal a new car? Jeez.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #68
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about the theft OP. Any update on the car? Hearing about thefts like this gets me so angry. It really seems to be time to institute stiffer punishments for theft which would hopefully be the best long term deterrent.
      04-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #69
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Guaranteed up to $1000 against the owner's comprehensive insurance deductible (Not valid in New York State, Hawaii, Texas or Wisconsin where it is prohibited by insurance law)
Max opening (inside of hooks) 415mm/ 16.3 inches
I hate to say is but, those locks are useless, at the core of most automotive steering wheels is a small diameter mild steel rod. Take your standard bypass power garden lopper from Home Depot:

And slice through the steering wheel, pry the two ends apart and remove the club lock. Garden loppers are standard equipment in any car thief's tool kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #70
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

anyone tried to do something like this? could be a dual-purpose device

http://www.instamapper.com/diy.html
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #71
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Only one real solution...

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #72
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Only one real solution...

it was funny.very funny.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #73
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

ODB port lock, aftermarket Larm + BMW larm, GPS tracker, steering wheel rod, Iphone apps app... Should be a pain in the ass for the thief if we combine all of those. Maybe also leave an old iPhone in the car that is unlocked. With a couple of tracking apps on it... Then direct connection the the local Hell Angels club. (Maybe there is a good sticker that would scare most people?) ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #74
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
<---- grabs a pair of pliers and the blowtorch...

That really sucks, OP. Sorry for the loss. Here's to hoping they find it intact. Mine is garaged separately with steering wheel lock as well. Might be time to get a pedal or wheel lock also. Can also always do a cheap wailer on the windows and garage door.
      04-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #75
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
ODB port lock, aftermarket Larm + BMW larm, GPS tracker, steering wheel rod, Iphone apps app... Should be a pain in the ass for the thief if we combine all of those. Maybe also leave an old iPhone in the car that is unlocked. With a couple of tracking apps on it... Then direct connection the the local Hell Angels club. (Maybe there is a good sticker that would scare most people?) ;-)
Then he's just key the shit of your car.
      04-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #76
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Any updates? Or have you started thinking about buying a new car already...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #77
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Since I already had a query with BMW UK about some other issue I sent a quick email regarding these OBD Port thefts and unsuprisingly here is the official line:

Dear Mr S

Thank you for your online communication dated April 2, 2012.
I can confirm that all BMW vehicles are tested and comply with the security regulations in the UK and it is disappointing that in certain cases these have been overcome by criminal activity. BMW are ever advancing the security on our vehicles to keep up with the new ways that car thief's employ, to commit vehicle theft.
While BMW take pride in guaranteeing the safety and performance of our vehicles, respecting the safety existing in various countries, a car manufacturer cannot possibly know the many techniques criminals use and then produce vehicles that are equipped to deter them. BMW follow EU safety regulations in relation to the specifications of our vehicles. Local police forces can instead advise on the measures to adopt or deter local criminals, since this is their field of expertise. If you are seeking further information on this, please discuss this matter with your local police force, as they will also be able to offer you further advice on how to keep your vehicle safe.
I am sorry that I was unable to provide further advice. It is regrettable that we are unable to speculate on how BMW's have been stolen and what method was adopted in order to carry out this crime. However, if you require any further assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely

BMW UK
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #78
1MSept11
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

I have been getting updates from the Police, give them credit they are letting me know what's going on, although its more of a 'were working on stopping them' more than 'were trying to get your car back'. Having told them I don't want it back, I guess this is what I want to hear.

I am starting to look at what else is around, I could go for another 1M and relocate the OBD, and would love an RS4 but thats going to go just as quick, and the police have warned me off this exact car! Not sure, think I might get something cheap and not so attractive at least until I move to a big house in the middle of nowhere with 2 Dobermans and a double garage. The harder it is for them to get the car off the drive, the more you bring the risk of them entering the house to get the keys.

The scum will be watching the house to see what I replace the 1M with so I don't want it playing on my mind 24/7. I'm looking at the positives, thinking it was a good job I didn't have a gun pointed at me for it.

I've written a letter to BMW venting my fury, I know it wont get me anywhere and they'll admit no blame but it was good to get it down on paper.

What's making me angry is knowing my car is probably in a container somewhere not being looked after and in need of a good wash!

Although I don't want to say it, I think they've won...for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #79
iDave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MSept11
I have been getting updates from the Police, give them credit they are letting me know what's going on, although its more of a 'were working on stopping them' more than 'were trying to get your car back'. Having told them I don't want it back, I guess this is what I want to hear.

I am starting to look at what else is around, I could go for another 1M and relocate the OBD, and would love an RS4 but thats going to go just as quick, and the police have warned me off this exact car! Not sure, think I might get something cheap and not so attractive at least until I move to a big house in the middle of nowhere with 2 Dobermans and a double garage. The harder it is for them to get the car off the drive, the more you bring the risk of them entering the house to get the keys.

The scum will be watching the house to see what I replace the 1M with so I don't want it playing on my mind 24/7. I'm looking at the positives, thinking it was a good job I didn't have a gun pointed at me for it.

I've written a letter to BMW venting my fury, I know it wont get me anywhere and they'll admit no blame but it was good to get it down on paper.

What's making me angry is knowing my car is probably in a container somewhere not being looked after and in need of a good wash!

Although I don't want to say it, I think they've won...for now.
Feel for you ! Hope you get sorted with the insurance ASAP
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #80
1MSept11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
Since I already had a query with BMW UK about some other issue I sent a quick email regarding these OBD Port thefts and unsuprisingly here is the official line:

Dear Mr S

Thank you for your online communication dated April 2, 2012.
I can confirm that all BMW vehicles are tested and comply with the security regulations in the UK and it is disappointing that in certain cases these have been overcome by criminal activity. BMW are ever advancing the security on our vehicles to keep up with the new ways that car thief's employ, to commit vehicle theft.
While BMW take pride in guaranteeing the safety and performance of our vehicles, respecting the safety existing in various countries, a car manufacturer cannot possibly know the many techniques criminals use and then produce vehicles that are equipped to deter them. BMW follow EU safety regulations in relation to the specifications of our vehicles. Local police forces can instead advise on the measures to adopt or deter local criminals, since this is their field of expertise. If you are seeking further information on this, please discuss this matter with your local police force, as they will also be able to offer you further advice on how to keep your vehicle safe.
I am sorry that I was unable to provide further advice. It is regrettable that we are unable to speculate on how BMW's have been stolen and what method was adopted in order to carry out this crime. However, if you require any further assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely

BMW UK

This makes me laugh. Pathetic.
Weird how this hasn't made the local or national news/watchdog or even crimewatch? Apparently £250,000 worth of BMWs were stolen in ONE NIGHT a few weeks ago using this exact method or re-programming the key.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #81
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
This just amazes me that a $50k late model car can be stolen with nothing more than a fancy scientific calculator from ebay.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #82
1MSept11
Rep

I agree, this is the point im trying to make to BMW. At the moment I'm asking for them to pay for my insurance excess £700, but they are saying NO.

I will take this all the way if they don't, ill release the CCTV onto YouTube and ill make certain everyone knows not to buy their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
This just amazes me that a $50k late model car can be stolen with nothing more than a fancy scientific calculator from ebay.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #83
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MSept11 View Post
I agree, this is the point im trying to make to BMW. At the moment I'm asking for them to pay for my insurance excess £700, but they are saying NO.

I will take this all the way if they don't, ill release the CCTV onto YouTube and ill make certain everyone knows not to buy their cars.
Sorry, but did you just say you're trying to blackmail BMW into paying your deductible?

Sure, raise awareness of how crappy their security is, by all means. Maybe they will do something about it and it'll help the next guy. Expecting them to pay for your deductible is over the top IMHO, and blackmailing them into doing so, well, I don't agree...
      04-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #84
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
So I took my 1M to the German dealer today and we replicated the fact that there is a blind spot to the motion sensors...he couldn't do anything OEM but suggested moving the OBD port or looking for something called an OBD lock...anyone heard of such a thing?
      04-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #85
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
So I took my 1M to the German dealer today and we replicated the fact that there is a blind spot to the motion sensors...he couldn't do anything OEM but suggested moving the OBD port or looking for something called an OBD lock...anyone heard of such a thing?
wow......
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #86
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MSept11 View Post
I agree, this is the point I'm trying to make to BMW. At the moment I'm asking for them to pay for my insurance excess £700, but they are saying NO.
I will take this all the way if they don't, I'll release the CCTV onto YouTube and I'll make certain everyone knows not to buy their cars.
I dissent.

Despite your understandable frustration, you gotta keep cool. Be courteous to BMW and elaborate (off forum) what happened in a serene way, if you got the slightest expectation to ever get some ex gratia gesture.

If you shout, squeal, threaten and insult, you can simply forget about it and will have no other option then bringing in lawyers or swallow/shelve the issue. You got the burden of proof.

Mere basics of communication for attempting to get a favor (which you consider as a right) without hassle, don't you think so ?
      04-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #87
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
We collective need to come up with a way that we can use this bad situation to prevent it from happening to more BMW owners...especially the 1M owners.......time to brainstorm ideas.
      04-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #88
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M
We collective need to come up with a way that we can use this bad situation to prevent it from happening to more BMW owners...especially the 1M owners.......time to brainstorm ideas.
Quite agree, no good saying keep the car in secure car parks etc. Need to disable/protect the ODB. I've covered mine in gaffer/brown tape so it would need to be picked off. But its no definitive cure.

This alarm issue needs looking into. A collective letter to BMW? Warrant a recall?
Appreciate 0