BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-15-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

Post The Ultimate 1-series Order / Ship Tracking Guide

This is reposted from e90post.com:

Once you place your order and give your dealer a deposit, they can then put your configuration into the ordering system and it will give you a production number. If they were able to modify an existing order (for example change color etc.), then your car will initially show up with different options, but it will eventually change.

You can take your Production Number and go online to track your vehicle’s status. Keep in mind that this system is usually a week behind. BMW Owner’s Circle (OC) http://www.bmwusa.com/OwnersCircle/ gives you very little information to simplify the waiting process (and no, we don’t like that, we like detail!) and break the order process into 5 stages:

On Order
As soon as your dealer gives you your production number, it shows up in OC as ‘On Order.’ You should also get a Production Week Number when your car will be produced. One thing to note, that when you go online right after you get your production number, the options you selected when you placed your order will not show up. In fact, it will never show up in OC, ever. The other thing, so that you don’t freak out initially, is that sometimes a dealer can modify an incoming order destined for their dealership, which ends up showing as another color under OC. However, this only takes a few days to update. For example, when I placed my order for Sparkling Graphite, it initially showed up as Alpine White with Terra Leather interior.

Scheduled For Production
Approximately three days prior to your car going into production, OC will reach this stage. The 800 automated information number is much more accurate than Owner's Circle (by two days or so), so use it with your production number to figure out what's going on with your car. The number is 1-800-831-1117; say “Vehicle Production Status” and then read out your production number. If your car production is complete, it will say “Your vehicle production is complete.” This whole stage takes a week or less.

Awaiting Transport
Your car gets loaded onto a train and is then driven to Bremerhaven, where it is unloaded and then has to wait for a ship. This is the painful part; you have no idea how many cars are ahead of yours in line to get on a ship, so you have to just keep hoping it doesn’t take too long. Mine took 8 days from production completion to getting on the ship. A ship sails every 3-4 days destined for the United States East Coast. Not sure how different things are for the West Coast.

En Route
As soon as your status changes to “In Transit” on the 800 number, or to “En Route” on the OC, check the shipping company’s website (Schedules) to figure out what ship your car is on. Or just call your dealer; they know exactly what ship your car is on, and the estimated times of when it will arrive and leave the Prep Center. The dealer has a tool that tells you everything, so leverage this to get the name of your ship so you don’t have to guess.

For east coast deliveries, the shipping company’s website (Wallenius Wilhelmsen) is http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTrac...trackType=Auto. Use your VIN (obtained by your CA or the BMW Owner's Circle site). They update their schedule in real-time and changes the color of the ‘stops’ to Red after the ship arrives at different ports, signifying that the ship has docked. My ship took exactly 11 days to get from Bremerhaven to New York City. Sometimes, if your ship reports its status, you can track your ship while it makes its way across the pond. Go to http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml and search by ship name. Keep in mind that my ship never showed up, so its really luck that you may see it.

For west coast deliveries, the shipping company's website (NYK Lines) is http://www2.nykline.com/home/index.html. You can also use http://www.dbh.de/index.php?id=151&L=0
to track the departure of your ship from Bremerhaven to Port Hueneme. Apparently NYK Line doesn't make it easy to find your ship. After that, if you want to know when your ship is planning to dock in San Diego, San Diego Marine Information Systems will give you the arrival schedule for Port Hueneme (west coast delivery) at
http://www.sdmis.org/schedule/.

At Preparation Center
Depending on how much time has lapsed between your ship docking and your car getting off the ship, it may take a while to show up at the Vehicle Preparation Center. A lot of wait times in this area is due to the number of cars ahead of yours, and the time it takes to actually wash off all the foreign soil of every vehicle that comes off the ship. Generally, this takes about 7-14 days.

At your BMW Center
Once your car reaches your dealer, they have to PDI your vehicle, which basically means remove shipping blocks, remove the plastic on the inside, check the vehicle from top to bottom, add any dealer installed options (CD Changer, Tint, Aluminum Pedals etc.) and finally, call you up to come pick up your new baby.

ORDER PRODUCTION CODES

0 - Order deleted by NA
17 - Order not Specified
37 - Order is at BMW NA
87 - Production Week Assigned
97 - Order sent to AG
100 - Order deleted by AG
101 - Error in data transmitted
102 - Special Order (no Prod Week)
105 - Order out of Prod. Period
111 - Order Accepted at AG
112 - Order scheduled for Production
150 - Production Started
151 - Body Shop Started
152 - Paint Shop Started
153 - Assembly Started
155 - Production Completed
160 - Released to Distribution
168 - AG Stock
170 - Waiting Workshop
172 - Planned for Workshop
174 - Workshop Entry
176 - Workshop Complete
180 - Waiting for Export Dispatch
181 - Waiting for Domestic Dispatch
182 - AG Load No. -- Released to Carrier
190 - Dispatched ex(port?) BMW AG
191 - Returned to BMW AG (ack doesn't sound good!)
193 - Arrived at Port of Exit
194 - Selected for Shipment
195 - Shipped from Port of Exit
196 - Shipment Arrival -- ATA

If you have any doubts or questions, remember, your dealer has a system that can tell you exactly where your car is, so always defer to your dealer for more information. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BMW uses different shipping companies for east and west coast. For west coast, BMW uses NYKLine for shipping, however, NYKLine did not have the updated schedule on the web like Wallenius Wilhelmsen (east coast deliveries) has.

Wallenius Wilhelmsen (east coast deliveries)
http://www.2wglobal.com/www/wep/index.jsp

N Y K line (West coast deliveries)
http://www2.nykline.com/home/index.html

Shipping schedule from Bremerhaven (use Port Hueneme for the EXPORT) <---- I found this one to be very useful for us <people in west coast> because NYKLine schedule is hard to find.
http://www.dbh.de/index.php?id=151&L=0

San Diego Marine Information Systems. <--- use this one to get the arrival schedule for Port Hueneme (west coast delivery)
http://www.sdmis.org/schedule/
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

SHIP TRACKING GUIDE (also from e90post.com)

If you are going crazy over the location of the ship that is carrying your beloved BMW, let me offer you the benefit of my pre-occupation with tracking my E92.

There are two ways that your ship can be tracked on its voyage. When it is close to shore, the AIS (http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/enav/ais/default.htm ) is in use. This an automatic system and is limited to only ships within radio range. When your ship is out in open water, you need to rely on WMO-VOS (http://vos.noaa.gov/vos_scheme.shtml). The problem with this system is that it is a voluntary one and not all ships participate.

Once you have determined the name of your ship there are various websites that offer you the ability to track your vessel. These sites are free and some only require you to register to get the most current updated information.

While your ship is in the North Sea, which includes the ports of Bremerhaven, Antwerp, Zeebrugge, etc., vesseltracker.com (http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Home.html) provides up to a 2 hour delay of your ships position. This is an AIS based website. Free registration is required for this feature.
There is another AIS website, but I will not mention that now for specific reasons which I will explain later.

After your ship leaves the North Sea on her way to the Atlantic Ocean, she passes through the English Channel. You can track her movements at http://www.ais-live.co.uk/ which is another AIS based website. This site is free, information is real-time and does not require registration.

Once through the English Channel, your ship begins her trans-Atlantic crossing. To continue tracking, you must cross your fingers and hope that your ship is one that voluntarily participates in the WMO-VOS program. If she participates, you can track her progress at http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/index.html. If you enter the ships name and can not pull up any reports, try entering her call sign.

This is a free site, information is usually updated 2 hours after a ship reports their position and registration is not required.

If your ship does not participate, figure that it takes 6-7 days to cross the Atlantic Ocean until you can resume tracking with the following website.

Earlier in this post I mentioned another AIS based website. http://www.aislive.com/AISLIVEPORTAL...ndex=0&tabid=1 It is a global AIS tracking service that provides real-time information. It can be used for ports all over the world. The reason why you should not use it from the time your ship leaves Bremerhaven is that you need to register for a free trial which gives you only 2 weeks access to the subscriber area. This is important for those whose ships are going to ports not offered to the non-registered user or their voyage is longer than 14 days.

There also seems to be a lag in the time you first register and when you get your sign-in information. Remember to completely fill in the form.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Wow, thanks for all the info! Do you work in maritime shipping?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
whiplash
Private No Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

This is great information, thanks!!

I plan to do Performance Center delivery so I'm guessing it will go through the normal 'East Coast Delivery' process and then simply get sent to the Performance Center instead of the dealer, correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

PCD for me as well. And yes, your transport assumption is correct. Your CA will ask you to complete a PCD form and provide a copy of the PCD Process (3 pages).
      01-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
whiplash
Private No Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
PCD for me as well. And yes, your transport assumption is correct. Your CA will ask you to complete a PCD form and provide a copy of the PCD Process (3 pages).
Is this something the CA should have done already (at the time of the order) or can it be done after-the-fact? I'm getting a little nervous (OK..."impatient"...) about not having any confirmation that they have arranged PCD. Every time I've talked to her she's said "no problem" but that's all I've gotten so far.

Just wanted to know what the actual process and time frame is for making the arrangements.

Thanks again for all the info...this forum rocks :headbang:!!

(I just called the automated number...car is scheduled to be completed January 17th )
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

My CA did it a week or so after the order went Status 111. You should call your CA if you haven't completed the PCD form requesting a delivery date.
      01-15-2008, 04:09 AM   #9
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

For those of you a little further down the production line than I am, can you please assist with the chronological sequence of events. I also have a question on some of the codes if anyone can assist with what they may mean.

So far I have placed my final order (01/10/08) with the dealer and have received an order #. From the BMW dealer system I have a print out of the order details and it says the status is confirmed and all the specs are correct (as ordered, even though I changed a few bits right at the end, such as taking Sedona - hope I made the right choice as I'm having second thoughts)

I see you guys in the States talk of a Production #, do you know if this is the same as an order number or is this the stage before getting a production #? In SA, I use the order # to track on OC, although when I access OC it says there are currently no details to track (could be that the system is still being updated).

I had a call from the Dealer Principal yesterday saying that the car is in status 11 (presume this is the same as 111?) and that in a few days Germany will schedule for production and will then give a chassis number/VIN. On the print out I got from the dealer, they show a planned date for status JC as 1 Feb and RFI ("Ready for Invoicing") i.e. when I can collect as 9 April.

My full schedule is:
JC 02/01
MJ 02/04
PS 02/06 (Paint Shop?)
BS 02/05 (Body Shop? hopefuly not :bs
VP 02/07
FL 02/08
PE 02/11
IH 02/13
SL 02/20
EH 03/14
VDC 03/25
DD 04/08
WE 04/08
RFI 04/09 (Ready For Invoicing )

Does this order of events seem the same for those of you who are already in production? We also do not seem to have a toll free number here, for me to call as you guys seem to have.
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
SA

that seems about right you may be missing a few steps but those are the imp ones

I would just rely on what your Sales guy says when he calls bmw
why dont you give the 1800 a shot?
i am sure they will be able to track your order with the production #
      01-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
whiplash
Private No Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
My CA did it a week or so after the order went Status 111. You should call your CA if you haven't completed the PCD form requesting a delivery date.
I'll do it today! Thanks again!!

Dan in Houston / CCA # 93849
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

You guys in the States are so lucky to be able to track your cars with a 1-800 # and web site. We are at the mercy of our CA to provide updates.
Oh well, at least we get the 261 wheels with our M Sport Packs :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #13
imported_Maurice
Not too sexy for his car.
Rep
Drives:

Hi guys-
Does anyone have any advice? My vehicle staus in the OC and the 800 number has been "awaiting transport" for 3 weeks now. Yesterday my CA said the last info he could find was as of 02-21, also showing that my car is awaiting a shipment.
Per Harold's excellent tracking guide, I am looking at the dbh.de site, and have used Port Hueneme as the Export Ship Information in my search. I changed the "ETS from" date to 02-21 since that's the last date anyone seems to know. The "ETS to" date I left at 03-29.
I am assuming ETS means "estimated time of shipment?"
When I do this, I get a table with results for 5 NYKLine ships.
My best guess, then, is that ETA means "estimated time of arrival?" If so, does this mean when they think the ship will get to Port Hueneme?
If this is the case, it would appear the next possible ship won't even get to the west coat until 03-22, the next after that not until 04-02. Bummer.
Could someone verify if I am reading this info correctly?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #14
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

This thread is a god send. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #15
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

If you are on K-Line (or any boat) and heading to Charleston, here is the Port of Charleston dock/load-unload schedule.

http://www.scspa.com/vessel_schedule.asp

As and example, my boat is the Caribbean Highway and it's scheduled to unload on the 3.20

Hope this help with K-Line tracking.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #16
SAM_702
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Slow Car

newbie question- ordering a 1 to be built/delivered vs buying a 1 from the dealer's lot, is there a price difference, given that the options are same but say I would like a different exterior/interior colors? Have anyone encounter BMW dealers haggling the price for such request?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #17
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM_702 View Post
newbie question- ordering a 1 to be built/delivered vs buying a 1 from the dealer's lot, is there a price difference, given that the options are same but say I would like a different exterior/interior colors? Have anyone encounter BMW dealers haggling the price for such request?

No, there will probably be a deposit to start the order
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #18
bimmer-fl
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Thank you for most useful information!
I ordered a 135i.
Its just went into production yesterday.
I want to add the sport package (which I neglected to do.)
My dealer say "no way".
Any idea if there is a way?

Thank you,
Amir
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #19
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

My SA was able to add it to my order right from his computer. No problems. (I ordered the Sport Package, also.)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 05:33 PM   #20
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

If a dealer is able to add an option, I'm sure they would. More $$.
My understanding is that once you are in production you can't change it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #21
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I believe once you hit 112 in the production cycle. I'm at 111 (so I'm told)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #22
coco_m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA135i View Post

For those of you a little further down the production line than I am, can you please assist with the chronological sequence of events. I also have a question on some of the codes if anyone can assist with what they may mean.

So far I have placed my final order (01/10/08) with the dealer and have received an order #. From the BMW dealer system I have a print out of the order details and it says the status is confirmed and all the specs are correct (as ordered, even though I changed a few bits right at the end, such as taking Sedona - hope I made the right choice as I'm having second thoughts)

I see you guys in the States talk of a Production #, do you know if this is the same as an order number or is this the stage before getting a production #? In SA, I use the order # to track on OC, although when I access OC it says there are currently no details to track (could be that the system is still being updated).

I had a call from the Dealer Principal yesterday saying that the car is in status 11 (presume this is the same as 111?) and that in a few days Germany will schedule for production and will then give a chassis number/VIN. On the print out I got from the dealer, they show a planned date for status JC as 1 Feb and RFI ("Ready for Invoicing") i.e. when I can collect as 9 April.

My full schedule is:
JC 02/01
MJ 02/04
PS 02/06 (Paint Shop?)
BS 02/05 (Body Shop? hopefuly not :bs
VP 02/07
FL 02/08
PE 02/11
IH 02/13
SL 02/20
EH 03/14
VDC 03/25
DD 04/08
WE 04/08
RFI 04/09 (Ready For Invoicing )

Does this order of events seem the same for those of you who are already in production? We also do not seem to have a toll free number here, for me to call as you guys seem to have.
Where do you get your schedule?