BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #67
DtE1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, MINI Cooper S

In my neck of the woods there's a "girl" who drives a jet black/black 135i convertible. She also does autocross events locally using hand controls only. And oh yes, her other vehicle is a custom made lightweight wheel chair since she lost the use of her legs before she was a teenager. So I really don't think a 135i convertible is a "girly" car, but a car for people who enjoy the thrill driving with the top down.
      05-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #68
Charleston335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Msport 135i convertible

well said Im convinced i'll still get it if its still at the dealer when i sell mine, if not I'll look for both a black and white one : )
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #69
Gravitron
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i Convertible

I have a 2010 135i convertible in sliver/black and it never even occurred to me that this car could be considered girly. The only concerns I had when buying it were structural rigidity and cabin noise. Structural rigidity obviously isn't as great as the coupe, but the cabin noise is what really gets me. The amount of rattles and buzzing coming out of the dash is ungodly. One positive is that I end up putting the top down a lot more in order to drown it all out.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #70
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitron View Post
I have a 2010 135i convertible in sliver/black and it never even occurred to me that this car could be considered girly. The only concerns I had when buying it were structural rigidity and cabin noise. Structural rigidity obviously isn't as great as the coupe, but the cabin noise is what really gets me. The amount of rattles and buzzing coming out of the dash is ungodly. One positive is that I end up putting the top down a lot more in order to drown it all out.
No rattles in the dash or elsewhere in my '08 128i droptop. Have you had the problems diagnosed under warranty?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #71
Gravitron
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i Convertible

I've been to the dealer several times and they have not been able to resolve the issue, even after having my car in the shop for over a week. It seems like most of the noise is coming from either the vents on top of the dash or where the a-pillars rub against the dash. Can you recommend a good dealer in the area?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #72
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitron View Post
I've been to the dealer several times and they have not been able to resolve the issue, even after having my car in the shop for over a week. It seems like most of the noise is coming from either the vents on top of the dash or where the a-pillars rub against the dash. Can you recommend a good dealer in the area?
I've had good results with BMW of Silver Spring (formerly called Tischer).

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #73
blankito
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i M Performance

IMO, stock white convertible is really girly.

However, with black wheels, black accessories (ie, rear lip, mirror covers, grills) it looks really nice and not girly at all
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #74
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

pretty much all 'verts to me scream female in any badged car. I have just never been a fan of rag tops. Now if it was a hard top 'vert that would be different like some of the newer bmw's and other makes of hard top 'verts that fold into the trunk area. I just think a rag top looks cheap and do come off as a little girly. but everyone has their own likes and dont let mine affect your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #75
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
pretty much all 'verts to me scream female in any badged car. I have just never been a fan of rag tops. Now if it was a hard top 'vert that would be different like some of the newer bmw's and other makes of hard top 'verts that fold into the trunk area. I just think a rag top looks cheap and do come off as a little girly. but everyone has their own likes and dont let mine affect your purchase.
we sir, have very different opinions. Ragtops, when done right arent cheap, my moonlight top on my 135 isnt cheap whatsoever (and ive seen the guts of it)

I always felt like tin-top verts are to convertibles what the towncars and nissans that get the padded roofs are to sedans. It makes the whole thing look cheap because its trying to look like something it isnt.

Also the softtop weighs nothing and is infinitely less complex, and hence less prone to breakage, than a tintop

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #76
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
Dude, why are you talking about your cack
Because, in my opinion, that's what this thread is all about at its very core. I subscribe to the theory that a man (can't speak for women) chooses his vehicle as a complement to his own sexuality. Whether this is at the root of the OP's question is unclear, as it is quite possible and seems most likely posed as a curiosity question but in a nutshell I think that a man's view of a particular car's sexual 'vibe', as it were, is largely dependent on his own self image. In some cases this manifests itself in what is called 'small c@ck syndrome' (I tried to be more eloquent in my original post but since you've opened the door...) where it is related to well, you know, a man's -uh, size.

Hopefully that explains the analogy I have put forth.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #77
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
Because, in my opinion, that's what this thread is all about at its very core. I subscribe to the theory that a man (can't speak for women) chooses his vehicle as a complement to his own sexuality.
I chose my car because the 135 is tits.

What does that say about my sexuality?

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #78
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
Because, in my opinion, that's what this thread is all about at its very core. I subscribe to the theory that a man (can't speak for women) chooses his vehicle as a complement to his own sexuality. Whether this is at the root of the OP's question is unclear, as it is quite possible and seems most likely posed as a curiosity question but in a nutshell I think that a man's view of a particular car's sexual 'vibe', as it were, is largely dependent on his own self image. In some cases this manifests itself in what is called 'small c@ck syndrome' (I tried to be more eloquent in my original post but since you've opened the door...) where it is related to well, you know, a man's -uh, size.

Hopefully that explains the analogy I have put forth.
And this is why I hate BMW's lmao. I bought mine because I like to drive, I track the shit out of my car and for the money it's a great compromise. Are you speaking from personal experience? You know a lot of theories also say the one that talks about it is the one that lacks it!
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #79
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I always felt like tin-top verts are to convertibles what the towncars and nissans that get
the padded roofs are to sedans. It makes the whole thing look cheap because its trying
to look like something it isnt.

An available version of my previous vehicle - a 2010 MX-5 - is living proof. The "retractable
hardtop" is a bastardized hybrid version of a true ragtop roadster and defeats the real purpose
of that car's intent.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #80
my6er
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i Cashmere Convertible

Gotta have a convertible

Either you love the open-air experience or you don't. To me, it is amazing that the tops go UP on these cars-living in San Diego, you HAVE to enjoy the top down driving nearly year-round (it does get into the 40s, brrrrrrrr!) . And the "rag top" is the only way to go to have any space at all in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #81
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my6er View Post
Either you love the open-air experience or you don't. To me, it is amazing that the tops go UP on these cars-living in San Diego, you HAVE to enjoy the top down driving nearly year-round (it does get into the 40s, brrrrrrrr!) . And the "rag top" is the only way to go to have any space at all in the trunk.
40s huh? I feel so badly for you

Motivational Picture!

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:00 AM   #82
coda72
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by my6er
I concur. I prefer to have the top down as much as possible when driving my car. I wish this damn rain would stop in Philly, so I could be driving with the top down!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #83
parnet
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is convertable

Who cares if someone thinks its a "girly car". Crusing along the Blue Ridge Parkway, the mountains of North Carolina or just riding along the coast of South Carolina 10 months out of the year with the sweet sounds comming out of that straight 6 turbo is a blast.
Man up!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #84
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That's an excellent discount.
But, the monthly payment seems kinda high to me.
I just configured a 2012 135i Msport with an MSRP of $50,970.
Selling price around $47,000, which is a good bit more than the price they're giving you.
Using current lease rates, .00190 money factor, 65% for 10K/yr, 7% sales tax only on the monthly payment, and all other fees paid up front, $0 down, monthly is $575.

In my state we don't pay sales tax on the selling price up front, we pay only on the monthly payment.
In states where you have to pay sales tax on the whole selling amount, most people roll that tax into the lease.
Is that what you did?

Also, the only way to know if the lease is good, please give your lease
MF-money factor, and residual.
Right now BMW is .00190 for 2012 1's, and 65% res for 10K,
64% fro 12K, 62% for 15K.
What numbers are you using?

Don't forget, you can put down multiple deposits to bring the MF down.
At .0019, the interest rate is high, it's 4.56%.
Each extra deposit brings the MF down by .00007. You can do a max of 7 deposits to bring the MF down by .00049.
Then the MF is .00141.
In my example, the monthly falls to $533 per month.
The savings over 3 years is pretty good. You'd have to do better than a 10% return on investment to use that money for something else.
In my case, my extra deposits would be about $3800. But, that money is just part of my savings gaining only about 1%. With multiple deposits I actually gain more money by saving on the monthly.
How much?
.0019 is $575 per month x 36 = $20,700
.00141 $533 per month x 36 = $19,188
20700 - 19188 = $1512 save/gained over 36 months.

I configured a 135i vert Msport to around $52,120.
Let's use the selling price of $43,000, per your offer.
36 months, 12K miles per/yr, MF .00190, 64% residual.
I'll use my states 7% tax only on the monthly payment.
Monthly payment would be $441.85!
That's a screaming deal for a 135i Msport! Heck, I'd take that if my dealer had it.

Your $496 monthly sounds high to me given such a great discount.
The monthly for 15K miles per year, puts the residual at 62%.
Using that figure the monthly would be $470.73, still less that what they quoted.

I suggest that you do NOT roll anything into your lease, as the interest rate is too high. Even with multiple deposits the interest rate is 3.38%.
Pay any taxes, acquisition fee if there is one, doc fee, etc... up front.
That way you're not paying interest on taxes or fees. And, it keeps the lease much cleaner. Given the rates BMW is offering, you should be able to get 12K per year for about $442 per month on a VERY sweet ride.
Even for 15K per year your monthly should be about $471.

If you have very good to great credit you should be able to get the lease numbers I gave you, easily. Demand them, don't let them if you have excellent credit rating.

If you want the website for the lease info PM me and I'll gladly give it to you, and if your dealer asks you can show it to them.

Happy shopping for your "girly" vert with 300hp/300lb ft of power.
I'll have to talk to you when I'm in the trenches this coming May 2013 When I can either another 128i convertible or a 135i convertible. Impressive info and advice to go into the dealer.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #85
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptempo80 View Post
I'll have to talk to you when I'm in the trenches this coming May 2013 When I can either another 128i convertible or a 135i convertible. Impressive info and advice to go into the dealer.
I don't know if this is still the case. But when I bought my car in 2008 - when you added the things that are options on the 128 yet standard on the 135. Xenons, sport suspension, etc. the gap in price actually shrunk to less than $2000.

So as my dad put it when I asked him the same question that you just brought up he said.
"why not get the fast one?"

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #86
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Soon to be another 135 here in Charleston huh!?

See ya around!
      07-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #87
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

These kind of questions are right up there with the "which BMW will make girls want me?" question. You should buy the car you like best - which best fits your criteria. Some people will like it, others won't. Some in both camps will be females. But your car should be what YOU want. Picking a car because of what somebody else likes or doesn't like (or what you think they will like or dislike) seems very immature to me.

Jim
      07-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #88
smw356
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I think it mostly stems from non-enthusiasts who buy the convertible option, for "style" reasons (to be seen in the car). It sort of tarnishes the vert option on all cars not originally designed as verts (see v6 mustang automatic trans verts as a prime example). Basically it represents the final sacrifice of "show" for "go" after you've already made every other possible sacrifice. Since slowish showy cars tend to be identified as feminine and faster cars that disregard looks for functionality tend to be considered masculine you can see how taking the roof off slides things on that scale.

I hardly think that is the case with the 135 though, as the vert doesn't really lose much chassis rigidity, and picks up minimal weight relatively speaking.

Ultimately though who gives a shit, its your car, not theirs. They don't need to like it.
Appreciate 0