BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Shawnski
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 DCT Convertible

Satisfied '08 135 owner

I have not posted on this site since I have bought my 135i in April 2008. I wanted to post my thoughts on what is the best all-around car I have ever owned.

Since I started driving in 1982 and being a car enthusiast/hobbyist I have owned more than 35 cars and trucks of nearly all makes and from all continents.

While I am a Ford guy that builds and races 'em, and the 2011 5.0 is intriguing especially since it is nearly as fast as $60k M3 on road circuit http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...11_bmw_m3_comp at this point I am going to buy out my car at the end its lease next April (Certified), and then pick-up a 1st Gen SVT Lightning...but I digress.

To me my little 135 is ideal for a daily driver...comfortable, fast, good MPG, great in snow (appropriate tires of course) and has been flawless in terms of reliability. The way BMW designs and develops cars is second to none

Bottom line and as I am sure most of you already know; A well equipped 135 for $40k is the best sport coupe value going. There, I feel much better now that I genuflected at the 1 Series alter!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Orangerec
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, Sport, 6MT

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
scs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

good post, we've had enough drama about the cars imperfections, i for one am very happy with my '08 as well.
      08-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

2700 miles into it and loving every minute of it. I will say it again: I LOVE MY CAR!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
OK...I'll chime in.
I love my car. The best car that I've ever owned.
It is perfection.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
I was at the dealer today at 8:30 and didn't leave till 5.... I also had to go back because the things they said they fixed were not.... I was so sick of the car I went looking for other stuff... I drove a G37s, and Haha... The G37s is not even close to as fun as the 135i when flying through gears... The best deal I found today was for a new IS 250... But can you say complete boredom... I just don't know what to do because I have had so many problems it just sucks cus I do love the car... I don't think I could find anything else like it..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I was at the dealer today at 8:30 and didn't leave till 5.... I also had to go back because the things they said they fixed were not.... I was so sick of the car I went looking for other stuff... I drove a G37s, and Haha... The G37s is not even close to as fun as the 135i when flying through gears... The best deal I found today was for a new IS 250... But can you say complete boredom... I just don't know what to do because I have had so many problems it just sucks cus I do love the car... I don't think I could find anything else like it..
I have had both, a G35 coupe 6-spd and a G37S coupe 6-spd with all the bells and whistles. Though the G37S is a complete grand tourer full of amenities and looks amazing, it is not as nimble and eager to to play as the 135i...I don't miss it as much as I miss my S2000's, however,my 135i is great compromise between sport and luxury.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
I have had both, a G35 coupe 6-spd and a G37S coupe 6-spd with all the bells and whistles. Though the G37S is a complete grand tourer full of amenities and looks amazing, it is not as nimble and eager to to play as the 135i...I don't miss it as much as I miss my S2000's, however,my 135i is great compromise between sport and luxury.
I agree the G37s are Badass looking but when I drove it I was very unimpressed...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I agree the G37s are Badass looking but when I drove it I was very unimpressed...
Biggest drawback: they are heavy!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
GoRedSox
Goldmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe M-Sport DCT

'02 Audi S4, '05 S4, '08 e90 335xi and since 6 weeks '11 135i DCT M-sport with BMW performance exhaust - 2000 miles on it and loving it! Can't get enough of it!
Best car I ever had - most fun and best driving experience. Never been this excited about the pure driving itself.
I am always amazed when people complain about all that small stuff like cupholders, the orange color of the gauges, the "problem" with the radio display and sunglasses, and so on.
To me, what matters the most is how a car connect you to the road. And driving this car gives me the best feeling and feedback in my gut I have ever felt driving a car. ( except perhaps when I got to drive my neighbor's M3...)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRedSox View Post
'02 Audi S4, '05 S4, '08 e90 335xi and since 6 weeks '11 135i DCT M-sport with BMW performance exhaust - 2000 miles on it and loving it! Can't get enough of it!
Best car I ever had - most fun and best driving experience. Never been this excited about the pure driving itself.
I am always amazed when people complain about all that small stuff like cupholders, the orange color of the gauges, the "problem" with the radio display and sunglasses, and so on.
To me, what matters the most is how a car connect you to the road. And driving this car gives me the best feeling and feedback in my gut I have ever felt driving a car. ( except perhaps when I got to drive my neighbor's M3...)
Man if you could do me a favor I will be grateful for life! So I'm already pretty much convinced on getting a BMW Perf. exhaust for my N55, I've seen a few vids with the camera mounted on the trunk facing down. Would you be so kind to record a small video from behind the car facing the exhaust, maybe just turning it on, letting it idle, and revving it a few times? If you want to go all out and do fly-bys then they are welcome, but I just would like to see a few more vids from different angles before I bite the bullet and order it. Again, I've seen plenty of vids of this exhaust on the N54 car, but not many on the N55.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
GoRedSox
Goldmember
United_States
Rep

Exhaust

I could swear that I have seen a post the other day of N55 with it.
But believe me, even if it sounds good on your computer at home, it still does not do it justice in real life when you step on the gas and let it fly with windows down and sun roof open!
I just came down from a New Hampshire Lake in the White Mountains back home. 2 hour drive, awesome. Great little roads, lots of opportunities to downshift and rip it.
And despite having driven some nice cars before, I never drove a car that would cause so much attention. it is amazing how many people turn their heads because of the sound. To be honest, some also look annoyed, especially when I leave the house in the morning in my own neighborhood.
I had the car delivered with this exhaust from the dealer and don't know how the stock exhaust sounds. And I also don't know how the other aftermarket ones compare. But no complains here.

But all I have as a video camera is an Iphone, and that would not do it justice. So take my word for it, my friend. It is about a thousand bucks, that is not too bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #13
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRedSox View Post
I could swear that I have seen a post the other day of N55 with it.
But believe me, even if it sounds good on your computer at home, it still does not do it justice in real life when you step on the gas and let it fly with windows down and sun roof open!
I just came down from a New Hampshire Lake in the White Mountains back home. 2 hour drive, awesome. Great little roads, lots of opportunities to downshift and rip it.
And despite having driven some nice cars before, I never drove a car that would cause so much attention. it is amazing how many people turn their heads because of the sound. To be honest, some also look annoyed, especially when I leave the house in the morning in my own neighborhood.
I had the car delivered with this exhaust from the dealer and don't know how the stock exhaust sounds. And I also don't know how the other aftermarket ones compare. But no complains here.

But all I have as a video camera is an Iphone, and that would not do it justice. So take my word for it, my friend. It is about a thousand bucks, that is not too bad.
Thanks man! Yeah I have already decided to purchase it. If you don't care to share your iphone vid, I'll take it!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
sunking420
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 135i

'08

I have almost 28,000 miles(got the car May 15,2008) on my SGM 135i, and I swear I still feel like I'm driving a new car. At the beginning of my ownership, I'd get excited when I had to go out to pick up cigarettes and milk. I still do. The 1er is the funnest car I've ever owned, and knock on wood have had no major problems at all. BMW scored big with this car, and can pretty much count me as a lifetime customer at age 46. I'm not just a 1 addict, I am a BMW enthusiast!!!!! I'd like to think I will keep this car for a very long time and probably will. It fits my needs to a Tee. Not to say I won't buy another for the weekends(possibly a Z4is)that I could trade in every four years. All I know is all the haters of this fine automobile can keep hating and I'll keep enjoying the best thing to come out of Munich since Apple Struedel and Wienerschnitzel....

BMW- I love you.....
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
GoRedSox
Goldmember
United_States
Rep

Wiener Schnitzel actually does not come out of Munich, but out of Vienna, Austria. And Apfelstrudel is also not a Bavarian invention. My grandmother invented that one. And she was from Heidelberg.
Appreciate 0