BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
snowfro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 318i

I think I'm having buyer's remorse but I can't tell...

I've had my 1m for 3 months now. I love it! It's my favorite car ever and can't really think of anything I'd like to drive over this car.

BUT I'm scared to drive it!

I originally bought it as a weekend/track car. Well just before I was going to take it out to the track for the first time I got some advice that I shouldn't be tracking something I was financially invested in. OK that makes sense, I can afford the payment but not really sure what would happen if something happened to the car on the track. And Geico sure as hell wasn't going to do anything for me and track insurance was too much to pay on a regular basis. So I figured I'd wait until I've paid half off (2.5 years!) and then consider taking it out to the track.

Now I've had it for three months and have driven it on 5 weekends. Why? Well since it's such a "special" car I'm scared of putting too many miles on it. And I don't want to take it on road trips because my x3 is perfectly suitable for that. And if I'm going out to the bars I have to worry about where I park it. I even took it to autocross and was too scared to take off traction control for fear of spinning out.

I'm 30, this is my dream car, and I'm lucky to be able to afford it at this point in my life. But I'm having some serious issues with the way I'm going about this. I'm stressing out about when I'm going to get my first rock chip or door ding and not really enjoying the car like it should be enjoyed. I sell tile for a living, so I can't cart it around when I make sales calls (you should see the interior of my poor x3!) but that's OK that's why I have the x3.

So let's see it guys and gals. I want to see the rock chips and dings and scratches on your nice new cars. I can't believe I'm being so retarded about this, I just need a little motivation to start treating it like a normal car. In the end that's all it is. It may be "limited" but it is still a car and I'm not in a position in my life to have a garage queen and that's all it has been so far...

Thanks for listening!
2004 x3 manual
2011 1m
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Mines clear bra'd!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Check out the miles thread. I have 2.6k miles on mine and loving every single one. In that span I have two rock chips at the very bottom of front fascia. I've parked it at multiple flyers games without issue. (it is orange, after all)

My 2c you should drive it. This is a car, meant to be driven, and it is fantastic. Unless you want to hold this car for 20 years in pristine condition, enjoy the privilege of owning a 1m.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

no joke, like you said, it's just a car NOT an investment. An awesome, I love to drive this thing, make you smile every minute car. Proceed accordingly.
      11-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Just drive it...you can get track insurance too...
      11-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

You are certainly not alone. I had some of your fears after they handed me the keys. I drove back 900+ miles from PCD and that pretty much ended that, had no choice too! I had to park at restaurants and leave it outside a few nights.

That said, as temperatures are below freezing and deer are rampant, I have started to worry more my season is closing. It's a drivers car and rock chips and wear n tear are badges of honor. You bought the car for you, so enjoy it! Let the 2nd owner (if there will be one) worry about if it has too many stone chips.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

It is a mistake to assume the purchase of a car to be a financial investment. Cars are liabilities, not assets...so while it continues to depreciate regardless, you may as well enjoy it, otherwise you're just throwing away money to have a giant paper weight in your garage.

I had the full front end, side skirts, and impact zone of rear fenders protected with paint protection film. From here on, it's all about driving. I too tend to worry much about rock chips, so my advice is to have a clear bra installed, and start enjoying what your little beast has to offer!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

Enjoy it. If it was to be an investment you should have not driven it after delivery, bubble wrapped it and stored it in a dehumidified garage. I have several cars - one of whch is in my garage and has not even been in the rain since 1998. Honestly I really havent "enjoyed" that car. My advice is to drive your car now and enjoy it and not worry about the few thousand dollars difference there will be in the end between a car that was a true garage queen and one which you have had some truely great life experiences in. I'm still totally anal about my 1M but I will enjoy this car!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

You really need to decide what you want to do with this car. If you truly want a weekend car that you wax and shine more than you drive then there is NOTHING wrong with that and you should not beat yourself up over it. Its your money, spend it how YOU want to.

If you want a track car, then buy a track car. I go to track days 6 to 8 times a year, I may take my 1M out once to see what she can do, otherwise my paid off '08 WRX will be my dedicated track day car. You can get a used EVO 9, Lotus Elise, 996 911, e46 M3, or a '06 WRX for dirt cheap now (compared to MSRP) and with 10k into those cars you'll be close to 911 GT3 track performance at a fraction of the price. Me personally, I need to know that if I lose my car in a corner and spin it into the wall I can part it and start over. Thus the reasoning for a second, cheaper track dedicated car. Also, to get your car REALLY good on the track you end up sacrificing too much ride quality for the daily drive of the street. At some point, the car moves from "tastefully modified" to "Over modified".

As far as insurance you can get single track day coverage for days you are actually at the track, you don't have to have a specific year long policy.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
icasio
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Snowfro...I totally hear what you're saying. The fact that it's a "special" car made me feel like I had to treat it extra "special." The first couple months it actually felt like more of a burden than anything. But I finally got to a point where I asked myself, "Did I buy this car to stress out or to enjoy it?" Now, it's fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I posted a similar thread about worrying about scratches which is really an extension of the OP's distress. There were some really kind members who offered some great advice. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604870

You gotta let it go and just enjoy the car. Try this for a week:
- Drive it every day.
- Push the limit of the 5500RPM break-in barrier.
- And don't wash it for those 7 days.

It'll help you get out of that OCD mode you're in right now.

Also, look at it this way... there's nothing you're going to do with the car that's going to ruin it. If you scratch it badly, you can always paint.

Now go drive it like you stole it!

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Here's your stone chip!

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

You describe thievery reason I sold my E30 M3. It had 47k miles on it, was beautiful and gave me very little pleasure!

The best advice here is that cars are liabilities. Drive them according and get as much pleasure as you can!

Take it too the track, insure it and have fun.
      11-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
snowfro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 318i

YOU ALL ARE AWESOME> Thank you for the kind words. I will drive it all week next week and see what happens. And will not wash it... until next weekend.

Ouch arvinz, that's a stone chip if I've ever seen one... nice!

I'll keep you posted, haha. Thanks again.
2004 x3 manual
2011 1m
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

The wisdom that comes from 14 extra years. Drive it and enjoy it. Take care of it but not to the point you lose joy. Here is what is going to happen if you don't. You will have a garage queen that you are spending a ton of money on and NOT enjoying. Then one day an 86 year old will rear end your car an total it or diminish phantom "collector" status. Or a quake will hit and a crate will fall on top of it; or, your son will take his bike out of the garage and put a huge scratch on the entire side and hood. Two of these have happened to me and the other will happen one day, so be prudent but enjoy it. This is not an investment, it is not a necessity, it is a treat, a toy, enjoy it as such.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
tmppgh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Here's your stone chip!

I think that classifies as a boulder chip.

And snowfro, I understand how you feel, I think I have the only 1M in the Pittsburgh area, so I feel like I am entrusted with somethine special. I love driving it though, and to me that is the only way to really enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #17
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Wouldn't want a car like that! They only make sense (if at all) if you drive and enjoy them. Mine has been driven approx. 12.000km in Germany and 2.500km outside of Germany so far, I'll drive it to Spa Francorchamps (Belgium) on Sunday (where I'll drive the wheels off my race 325) and back on Monday. And I'll just have fun doing so. I drive it every day and am now waiting for the first snow (ok... for the north europeans... the kiddy stuff we consider winter here ) and I'll have fun on the white stuff too, once it arrives. It's got scratches, a chip on the hood (which the guys in the shop just covered up to avoid rust) and I killed its first set of brake discs driving the "Nordschleife" during a track day. Have I regreted a single Kilometer I've put on the car? No. Au contraire. The little bulldog made me smile and that's its sole purpose in my life. If I wanted to be sensible, I'd be driving a 320d Touring.
      11-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Years from now you may be forced to sell it, or maybe the car is lost in a natural disaster or fire etc and youll regret not driving it. Dont abuse the thing but certainly drive it and enjoy it. I never thought Id replace the 135, 3 short years later I have a 1M and no reason really to keep the 135. If I sell it I wish I had put more than 28k miles on it.

I have had cars that I garage queened and for one reason or another had to sell. Each time I thought wow I wish I had driven it more. I put 800 miles on the M in Europe and will add another 3k just driving home from PCD. All my friends will first see my brand new car with almost 4k miles on the odometer. Id be lying if I said it doesnt bother me, but when its time for the M to go Ill just remind myself the experiences I had doing it and it will ALL be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #19
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

In the state of TX the vehicle is covered by insurance if you are involved in an accident while at a non-timed driver's education event (ie DE). I recommend Houston or Auston chapter PCA. There are many other organizations in TX putting on driving events but those two consisitantly put on the safest events with the most highly trained instructors. You will not be disapointed and you will be very safe with them.

As for autocross without the traction control. It is litereally physically impossible to roll your car from spinning out a an autocross. You simply can not do it. BMW club puts on some good autocrosses down in your area.

Drive your car and enjoy it. If something dumb should happen then that's what insurance is for. Its just a car and it can be repaired. Not a big deal man!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #20
AM1N
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

ive put 6500 miles on it in 4 months...i dont regret a single second of it. i have a couple of TINY rock chips and at the end of the day its worth it all...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #21
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just pop the car's cherry and bring it to the track...once that's done, you'll worry less about the car and drive it. Bring it out on the 12th to MSRH or 19th at TWS.
Depending on how things goes, i might show at the autox on the 13th.

Depending on what insurance you have, most will cover DE (they will prob drop you after paying the claim) but you'll be covered. Just take it easier on track.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #22
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
In the state of TX the vehicle is covered by insurance if you are involved in an accident while at a non-timed driver's education event (ie DE). I recommend Houston or Auston chapter PCA. There are many other organizations in TX putting on driving events but those two consisitantly put on the safest events with the most highly trained instructors. You will not be disapointed and you will be very safe with them.

As for autocross without the traction control. It is litereally physically impossible to roll your car from spinning out a an autocross. You simply can not do it. BMW club puts on some good autocrosses down in your area.

Drive your car and enjoy it. If something dumb should happen then that's what insurance is for. Its just a car and it can be repaired. Not a big deal man!
The Houston BMWCCA utilizes a track and not a parking lot. There are several hazardous areas where you can cause physical damage including rolling over.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0