BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Focal Base Stereo Upgrade

So I'm planning on doing a full "Base Stereo [no tweeters]" upgrade on my '11 135. Focal now has plug and play replacements for the stock system, including underseat subs, which is awesome. Planning on doing the separates for the front, the coaxes in the rear, and replacing both underseat subs. Here is my question: do I need to do additional wiring on either the front or the rear since I'm adding tweeters at both ends?

http://focal-america.com/lines/plugandplay/

Also plan on doing FD Ultra Compact amps. Since the base stereo runs off the head unit, I want to properly power all of the new drivers. Will the 4-channel one be sufficient, or should I grab a 4-channel for the components, and a 2-channel for the subs?

http://focal-america.com/lines/performance-amplifiers/

Many thanks!! This will be my first car stereo upgrade, so apologies for the dumb questions...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Unlikely to need more wires than what's in the kit for the tweeters. I predict you'll plug the existing speaker wires into the Focal's mids and from there their wires will lead to the tweeters. I don't see a real crossover so I'm guessing there's just some caps inline to the actual tweeters.

I'd consider a 4 channel for the fronts & subs and power the rears from the head unit, if it's an option and you aren't in need of much power. Otherwise a 4 channel for the fronts and rears and the 2 channel for the subs looks like a good route.

While the speakers do look to be plug & play, be mindful of the amps and how you will send the music signal to them. Make sure you know what is coming from the head unit and if the amps can make use of it. Also consider how you will run the amps to either the existing speaker wire or where you'll run new wire. Not to mention power, ground, turn-on, etc. for the amps. Picking components is the easy and fun part, just make sure you have all of the rest figured out as well.
Appreciate 0